Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 55-94 Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mchildree, Jan 23, 2001.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Hey Folks...a question....I didn't get (or lost) the electronics layout diagram with my 55-94 Deluxe, and Lakland doesn't have it available on their website any longer. What I've forgotten are the settings for the 3-position toggle to choose the various coil combos on the MM pickup. Can someone fill me in?

Thanks a bunch!

2. Toggle towards the neck: Single coil-neck side
    Toggle in the middle: Both coils humbucking. (ala Musicman)
    Toggle towards the bridge: Single coil-bridge side.

3. ThumpNPluck

ThumpNPluck

Jun 22, 2000
    New York City
  4. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    And while we are at this topic, can I ask you Lakland owners what pickup settings you normally use, and why? I know it probably depends on the song, but I'm just curious.

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I didn't buy the bass for the "Musicman sound". I prefer a jazz bass tone. So, I set the coil switch to the bridge coil only, essentially you're playing through two single coil pick ups. The blend is set at the detent for an even mix. You don't get a genuine jazz bass tone, but I like the results. Most of all, I like the tight ballsey sound of the B and E string, especially if strung through the body. BTW, I have the Bartolini pick ups.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's a good setting. I also use pan in the middle, bridge coil selector in the middle. You can also experiment with the internal mid frequency dip switches.

7. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I like Brad's setting, but put the blend knob slightly towards the neck. Dip switch is at 500Hz. The thing is, the Lakland is so versatile I'm constantly changing. When you cover 40 years of music, lots of different tones are needed.

8. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Yep, the versatility is the killer feature. I play lots of different type gigs and I'm finding that I can stay with one bass for the majority of the stuff. I use the neck pickup only for picking lots of times..it just seems to naturally filter out all the offending highs and gets that good grindy tone that works well with picking. Otherwise, for fingerstyle, I like the back coil only, pan in the middle setup and will vary the pan just slightly to stick out more or less within the mix. I use the eq very sparingly.

9. ThumpNPluck

ThumpNPluck

Jun 22, 2000
    New York City
    This is slightly off the subject of the original post, but have any of you experimented with changing the internal midrange dip switch from anything other than the factory-preset 500hz setting? If so, what did you think of the results?

10. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I did on my maple board dlx55, but nothing seemed to help get me the tone I was looking for (thump), so I sold it. My rosewood board sounds so good, I don't want to mess with success.

11. Settings: I have the toggle switch in the middle (MM) and pan slightly towards the bridge (MM) pickup. I run my treble, mid, and bass controls flat (in the middle) for fingerstyle and I boost the treble and bass slightly for slap style. I know the Lakland has a vast array of sounds but I like this one so much I can't seem to get away from it!

As far as the midrange toggle. I had it at 500 and switched it. I can't remember what I switched it to but since I don't boost the midrange much (I will occasionally, depending on the venue), it didn't seem to make a big difference.

12. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I've experimented with all the dip switch presets and for my 55-94 Deluxe, with rosewood board, the 700hz setting seems to give me the most natural tone. To my ears, anyhooo...