Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lakland 55-94 VS. mike Lull 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by merrill_chris, Nov 23, 2000.

1. merrill_chris

merrill_chris

Nov 23, 2000
    having a tough time decieded between these two basses. wondering if anybody had any pros or cons for either of them.
    thanks,
    Chris

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The 55-94 is more of a Stingray with a Jazz pickup added, nothing wrong with that if you want that sound, but doesn't get the true Jazz bridge pickup or blended sound, which the Lull does.

They are both fine basses, the Lulls are a little lesss dough.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Being at the source of the Lulls, ive played a ton, and still, IMO, Laklands whoops em.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm biased ;)

I've played quite a few of both and bought a 55-94.

5. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've also played both and I own a Mike Lull Modern 5 that I was lucky to get in a trade. Mine is a killer bass with great sounding electronics. Right now, the Lull basses are bargains compared to the Lakland and Sadowsky's. It won't be that way for long when the word gets around.

Best if you can play both and decide for yourself. Players and basses are indeed individuals!

Chuck

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think Lulls will go up, too.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    My vote is the Lull! It's a little more traditional, but I'm
    a old school fender kinda guy. I almost went with the Lakland and it's a fine bass, but I've always loved my jazz bass, and the Lull is closer to it only a lot better! The reason I didn't go with the Sadowsky was I wanted a 35" scale and the Lull's electronics are more flexable.