Lakland 55-94 -vs- Sadowsky Metro 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by g4string, Mar 2, 2006.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    OK, I am Lakland's scale length is killing my wrists/forearm. Towards the end of the night during a gig, it actually hurts to play. I love my 55-94, but I need a replacement. I have wanted a Sadowsky NYC for a while. I was going to place an order but, the prices went up quite a bit. A standard NYC fiver with the top I wanted was over 4K now. A year or two ago they were around 3.5K. I talked to Rodger today and I am seriously thinking about going the Metro route. They are in the 2.5K range. Has anybody AB'd the American Laklanads against the Sadowsky Metro's. I play in a country, jazz-fusion, and R&B band. My rig is a Demeter HBP-1 w/a QSC 1602. I either use 2 Aggie 112's or a Berg 322 as a cab. Thanks.
  2. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I have A/B-ed a RV5 and 55-02, and JO5. The Sadowsky is extremely comfortable, light, and has terrific sound. Mine had the Vintage Tone Control - which was great. Sadowsky construction is great.

That being said - I sold my RV5 this morning on TB. Not because I didn't love it - but because I don't play 5s enough to warrant the money I had in it. I have about 1/2 the money in my Lakland Skyline JO5 and it will suffice for the few times in a gig that I will play a 5.
  3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    A 35" scale is only 3% longer than 34", you sure thats why your hands are hurting?

Might be good to go see a doc. :(
  4. +1
    I've got all kinds of hand/wrist problems and with proper bass positioning I don't really notice a difference between 34 or 35 inches. Good luck with your hand issues, I know how bad it can be.
  5. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    You guys are right...I probally should see a doc. But geesh, cant a guy make up an excuse to buy a Sadowsky!!! Back to the point, has anybody AB'd the 55-94 -vs- the Metro 5?
  6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've played 55-94s in shops, and owned a Metro for a while. Both are very nice. If you want a sadowsky with the "standard" woods, theres no reason not to go with a metro, they are fantastic.
  7. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I've AB'd a 55-94 and a American 5-24 - I have both. I really prefer the Sadowsky, the neck is a lot more comfortable and the body sits better for me. Tone-wise, about a tossup the Lakland is better in some ways, the Sadowsky in others. I just find the Sadowsky more comfortable - on a par with my MTD. You really can't go wrong with either, it comes down to which do you like better.

+4 (I think I'm the 4th saying this) get to a Dr and check your technique!

Dan K.
  8. UrbanIvy

Aug 1, 2004
    San Francisco
    talkbass is telling me to post. Guess I've been gigging a lot lately.

I totally hear you with the comfort. My Warwick thumb is stretching my hands out too much and I've been just aching by the end of long sets.

I'm looking for a bass right now and will go with comfort as the number one priority. So I vote for the Sadowsky in your case. +5
  9. jrex

Jun 17, 2005
    SouthEastern Wi.
    I've never played a Sadowsky however I have owned a 55-94 for about 6yrs., great bass. I also own a 72 fender jazz bass. IMO Comparing a 55-94 to a Sadowsky is comparing two different basses. While the 55-94 has alot of available tones it doesn't quite nail that jazz bass sound like I'm sure the Sadowsky's and other jazz bass configured basses would. Both basses are great on their own merits.:bassist:
  10. +1 I regularly switch back and forth between 34 and 35 scale 5 strings and don't really notice a difference.. and the 55-94 is a particularly comfortable 35" scale bass.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I cant say enough good things about Sadowsky Basses , Go For It.:bassist:
  12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I had a Lakland in the 4 string version and own and have owned many Sadowsky's. Both are great basses. I just prefer a jazz bass styled instrument plus I think the Sadowsky preamp just sounds alot better. Gotta judge for yourself to be sure. Best of luck

13. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I have had a 55-01, a 55-02, and currently a JO5. I briefly owned an RV5 and have a UV70-5 on its way to me. Just recently picked up an MV4 and I am blown away. It is making me want to sell my other 4 string - a Skyline JO.
  14. sandmann

Dec 27, 2005

for me the 55-94 is one of the most comfortable basses ever built.

are you sure yours is set up correctly? maybe the nut could be cut a little deeper so you might get a lower stringaction at the end of the neck?

maybe you should wear it a little higher in order to straighten the line of the back of your hand an your arm???

ok, if you just need an argument to buy a sadowsky i totally understand you ...

15. My old 35" scale bass definately caused my tendonitis to come back. Once I got my Sadowsky the condition cleared up in about three months. I'm not a big guy (5'7") and the shorter scale length abosolutely helped me.
  16. mgbass

Mar 31, 2004
    Northern KY
    I have both bass's, the Lakland (USA) is a great bass, too say the least, and I have owned 2 Sadowsky Metros, and one Sadowsky P/J 5 (NYC).

All of these pieces are outstanding and each is different from one another.

The Lakland 5 is very comfortable and overall is very smooth sounding, as you know you can get some bite by adjusting pickups and tone controls.

But the Sadowsky's have allot of tones the Lakland does not.
    Sadowsky gives you the "Jazz" bite as well as big/full tones.
    Of the 2 metros I have owned, the 5 with the maple neck has the most "Fenderish" tones, the UV-70 with a rosewwood board has a darker tone. You can really dig in on this bass,,,hard !!!

In my mine any Metro piece is a great bass, you can't go wrong, they are very comfortable and fit and finish is first class, same for the Laklands.

Overall the Sadowskys give me more of the tone I am looking for, plus they are easy to play and easy to dial in.

Buy a Metro and get rid of that monkey on the back.

+ 10 on the doc visit.

It boils down to taste/and your ears
  17. RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I can't comment on the Laklands, but if you go with the Sadowsky, I think you're making a good choice in saving some cash and going with a Metro vs. a NYC. I've owned a NYC 5 and Metro 5 and I noticed very little to no difference. A Metro is the more practical choice IMO unless you want special options/mods that require ordering a NYC.

I also recommend getting single coils and the VTC.
  18. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    If you really just want a Sadowsky, then go for it, but be careful. I've had 4 55-94s and 2 NYC Sadowsky 5s. The Laklands are a bit more comfortable for me because down around the first 3 frets, the neck feels a little narrower and fits my medium size hands better. If you spend a lot of time there, the Sadowsky may not be the answer. If I'm doing something really fast down there, I reach for the 55-94.

I'm still A/Bing both, and overall prefer the Lakkies, but sure wish they had that passive tone control! The Sadowsky does have a bit more growl. I'm really happy with both and you can't go wrong either way.:cool: