Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 55-94 vs. Sadowsky Metro Standard 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Niskamies, Aug 26, 2004.

Which bass?

Poll closed Sep 2, 2004.
  1. Lakland 55-94

61.4%
  2. Sadowsky Metro Standard 5

38.6%
  1. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    So, I am buying a new bass. Which one, and why? I've heard that the Laklands are great basses, but the same I have heard from the Sads.

I play jazz, funk, and all kinds of rock, including progressive. A good slap tone is required, and the jazz bass growl would be prefarable. At least some kind of growl is required.

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Sadowsky rules!!

Preamp is the best, simplest around. Pickups smoke. 34" scale, etc, etc etc

Rob

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The quality of the Metro's is top notch, they seem consistently able to deliver the goods in all the times i have played them. Sadowsky electronics are some of the best sounding ones out their in my opinion. :bassist:

4. BOOTZY

BOOTZY

Mar 4, 2004
    Amal, Sweden
    I bought a new bass a couple of months ago and was choosing between the exact same basses you are. I picked the Lakland and i´m not saying that the Lakland is better than the Sadowsky, but the Lakland is perfect for me.

The Lakland can do pretty much everything soundwise. I really dig the 35" scale and the B-string is the best i´ve heard. I´m sure the Sadowsky will make you totally happy too, with great sound and awsome playability.

You can choose either one and end up with an stunning bass. I lay my vote on the Lakland though.

LAKLAND RULES! :D

Good luck!

5. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Make that 2 votes for LAKLAND. I play in a band that plays funk, punk, reggae and rock and the LAKLAND can do it all!!

6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Vote 3 for Lakland. Classic Rock 60's to now. I had a NYC Sadowsky. I sold it and kept the Lakland.

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    tough call. You need to decide if you want a midrange control- the layout on a Lakland is very versatile, with the pickup configurations and the 3 badnd, if you like to tweak, the Lak may be better for you-
    but the Sadowskys (in my case the Tokyo ) sound fantastic as well. and as mentioned before, the Sads are 34 in sclae and the Laks are 35-

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    If its an NYC, I'd say go w/ the Sad, but comparing a USA Lak to a Metro.... Ya gotta go w/ the 94, IMHO.

9. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Since the Lakland has the MM style bridge pickup, dp you get Stingray kind of growl from the 55-94? And how are thw pickups? I've heard that the Bartolinis are the growliest pickups available.

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I felt my Lakland's sound was a little weak. The Barts are pretty growly, I guess you could say, but hardly anything aggressive, IMO. They sounded just a little too flat to me.

11. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Btw, are the Lakland hand made?

12. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Lakland
    Just because they are much more consistent and have more versitile tone IMO. Some sads were cool but others just didn't really speak to me and left me shrugging at the price tag.

Some Metros I have played been cool but not anywhere near a Lakland 55-94 in flexabililty.
    It will come down to playing them both. If you don't mind a 35" scale and want something very versitile, then get the Lakland. If you want more modern tone, 34" scale, and don't care about a mid control then go for the Metro.

13. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Go with the Lakland....if you wanted a nice slap tone, just make sure you get one with maple fingerboard. You can dial in some "Marcus" there.

14. S a d o w s k y

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Think we won't try?

LOL

16. MAJOR METAL

SADOWSKY :hyper: :bassist:

17. Personally:

1) I would love to own either of these basses.
    2) Because of the popularity / demand, etc. of these, you won't find a good deal on either bass, so you'll pay a premium for either one.
    3) Having dual pickups will give versatility to either bass which is a good thing.
    4) The Sadowsky will be capable of sounding more "Fender Jazzish" where as the Lakland will be capable of sounding more "Stingray Music Mannish."

I've grown to love and favor the Stingray sound over the years, so I'd go in favor of the Lakland. But it's based on personal tone preference only.

18. These are very different basses. Either could sound fantastic. Choose the one that you like the most and will inspire you to practice more!

Jeff

19. MAJOR METAL

You can get a Music man type tone out of those Barts ?

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yes you can. At least I did out of my Ash 55-01.

Then again I was told here on TB that it wasn't possible.

:D