1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland 5501 question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Houston, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Houston

Houston

Oct 28, 2004
    I've got a couple of Ricks that I love, but the time has come to get something with 5 strings. I'm very interested in acquiring a 5501, but as there are no dealers within about 100 miles of me, if I order from MF, it would be based only on reviews and opinions here on TB. I'm not scared to do that because I can send it back if it sucks.
    Anyway, my question: can these basses get a really fat-sounding low end (think of Whole Lotta Love)? I understand they are very articulate, and they have a wide range of sounds, even with the stock pickups, and I like that idea, but is it possible to get a huge fat tone when I want it?
    I've got a Bill Fitzmaurice Titan 39 subwoofer, so there's no lack of amplification; I can make a Rick sound like John Paul Jones.

Opinions?

Thanks in advance,
    Joey

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I know this is probably not the kind of answer you need, but here it is:

You are asking the wrong question, IMHO.

3. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    For someone going fiver I don't think there's a better value than the Lakland skylines. When I played five I owned both a fretless and fretted 55-01. It's a jazz bass on steroids, very versatile with your rig you'll get a full tone with those soapbars in the 55-01 and your gonna love the neck. I wound up upgrading the preamp on both my 01's I sent them to lakland and for $200. they put in there usa made preamp. The bass is fine stock just a little more refined with the upgraded preamp. You won't find a bad revue anywhere on that bass and it's an easy bass to upgrade down the road. But again it's fine as is.
    Now all that said there's a skyline called the decade it's more money but is has the neck pickup in a similar position as the Rick but with your rig it might be too much bass where you get into a muddy tone. Get the 01 you won't be sorry.

4. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Nuff said...

5. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati