1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

lakland 5502 or sadowsky metro?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave281189, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Dave281189

Dave281189

Feb 1, 2008
    hey guys :hyper:

which one would you buy for studio work and live gigs?

lakland 5502 or sadowsky metro standard 5 string?
    i have played both and really like them, but cant make a decision :p

2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Buy 'em both!!! Two of the best basses on the planet. Both have necks that feel great and both have great electronics. Put flats on one and rounds on the other. You'll thank me in the end.

G

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
  4. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Sadowsky definitely.

5. Laklandlover

Laklandlover Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA BABY
    I have both of them the Sadowsky Metro 5/24 is dead on everything I play. The Lakland 5502 is nearly dead on everything I play. My $.02 says get the Metro you will not regret it AT ALL.

James

6. Imo definitely the Metro. Doesn't mean I dont dig Lakland as well but you really cant go wrong with Sadowsky tone,quality,customer service..bla bla bla. If you dont like it you can probably flip it overnight on here anyway or trade it for a Lakie.

7. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I have both. I honestly like them each for what they do, but if I could only escape with one out of a burning building, it'd be the Sadowsky.

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have owned both, and Sadowsky records and cuts better IMO. Also, the resale is better with Sadowsky.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    OP, why are you comparing a 55-02 to a Metro? Roger Sadowsky himself says his Metros are equal to his NYC basses, they just don't have as many finsh options and no wood top options. A much better comparison would be to a Lakland 55-94.

10. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    To me soundwise would be the Metro, I've heard both but the Sadowsky just nails it, that being said I just think the Laklands look a lot better:D.

11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    +1.
    55-02: $1400
    Metro Standard 5: $2360 (I think)
    55-94: $3080 (or $3465 for deluxe top, which I don't think you can get w/the Metro)

12. Dave281189

Dave281189

Feb 1, 2008
    i compare the 5502 and the metro because in austria, thats wehre i live, the price of an deluxe 5502 is 1700 euro and the metro is about 2350 euro. so the price difference is not soo big as in the US.

a NYC sadowsky costs about 3500-4500 euros in austria, thats about 4000-5000 dollars and an 55-94 has an average price of 3500 euros (4000 dollars).

right now i tend to the 5502 because of it's price...
    but i haven't had the chance of hearing it yet.

i have heard and read that the LH-3 preamp is one of the best on the market, but i'm not fully convinced...
    maybe some of you lakland lovers could describe the sound possibilities of the lh-3 preamp?:hyper:

i have played a couple of sadowsky basses and i absolutly love the slap sound of it, very marcus miller like.
    the finger-style sound was awesome too...

is the lh-3 preamp able to get that slap sound or is it somethin completely different?

thank you guys for your answers:hyper:

13. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    If you're looking for something in the "Marcus" territory, then Sadowsky really is the way to go. Being a J-Bass style instrument, the basic design scheme is closer to the bass that Marcus plays than a Lakland is.

A lakland 55-xx with the LH-3 or the older Bartolini system will get close, but it won't be able to project and cut as well as the Sadowsky can.

IME, the Lakland isn't as aggressive or up-front as a Sadowsky is in live settings. The difference is less apparent on recordings, but the Sadowsky still has a little more zing and center to the tone. These tonal differences aren't bad things, but it's something to keep in mind when selecting a bass that speaks to you and sounds best when used to play the music you play.

14. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Ah, understood, Dave. It's so odd to me the way relative pricing between brands varies so much from one country to the next. Here are some clips of the 55-02 that may help you with your decision.

15. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
  16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you cannot afford a Sadowsky, forget about it and get another jazz like a Fender or a Skyline. Just get a Sadowsky outboard preamp. The 55-02 is a great bass that can get a decent jazz tone, but it is really a different beast that can offer non-jazz tones.

17. the 55-02 is a GREAT bass. But, be warned it is not a jazz bass, nor it is the Marcus Sig. You wanna a great 70-ies jazz sound, get a Darryl Jones. Wanna go more into 60-ies jazz, get a passive Joe Osborn with Fralins. This way you'd even save enough to get a Sadowsky outboard pre II - something I might do one day.

Personally, my #1 and 2 bass is, and will be, the 55-94, because it takes me anywhere and everywhere. I used it for classical jazz, metal, rock and pop, and you just dial in and sound great. It is also unbeatable when you're playing a gig with a buncha other bassists, everyone dialing the heck out of the amp, - and you don't have to.
    The third one (for me again) will be a passive Joe Osborn, and I think a Skyline will be just fine. And yes, I might be getting a Sadowsky outboard in that case

Tonewise, the LH-3 are closer to the 70-ies snappy snarling sound than the Bartolinis (I have both).

18. Dave281189

Dave281189

Feb 1, 2008
    could you compare or would you compare the lh3-preamp of the lakland 5502, 55-94 with a fodera preamp, soundwise...or is it completly different?

oh man, thats such a hard decision :crying:
    god damn it, thats a pain in the ass really :mad:

19. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    Hi Dave! I tried the 55-02 for one day and sended it back! I liked the look, the finish and the balance, but found the sound of the lh-3 preamp bland and hissy. There was no growl, no personality! The potis felt cheap and the bass had a big deadspot on D (G-string). The overall feel of the bass was more of a bass in the 600 Euro category. 1700 Euro without gigbag(!) are definitely overpriced. I wanted to like this bass, but I had to realize that my G&L 2500 Tribute is a much better sounding and feeling bass.

20. I've never seen or heard a 55-94 loaded with a fodera pre. :rollno:
    I did contact Mike Pope on a different occasion and he will make you a fully custom preamp for about $240 if you wish. But a 55-94 (or a 55-02, for that sake) is a great bass by itself and I think you should consider altering anything when, and if (and that's a big IF) you have tried one and were unsatisfied