Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lakland 5502

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pools, Jan 7, 2005.

1. pools

pools

Feb 28, 2004
    I'm near to buy a lakland 5502 used, i would like to know from its yousers if there is somenthing to pay attention when i'will try it.
    and obviously some opinions about its sound,it's my first 5 strings it should be a bargain but i don't really know that model.
    thank you for your help.

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    All 55-02's are great basses, some of them are absolutely excellent... almost comparable to the USA line (55-94) from a tone and playability perspective.

So really, all you have to do is the usual things to make sure there's nothing "wrong" with this one, either due to improper care or accidental abuse/damage. Make sure the neck is straight, the elex work fine, etc..

By the way, you picked a GREAT 1st 5.

3. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Yeah, I wish my first 5 had been a 55-02, then I could have quit looking. Get one and play it. I don't see how you can be dissappointed. They are excellent!

4. pools

pools

Feb 28, 2004
    i always played jazz bass and i would like something not totally different in term of sound...what can you say about it's sound?

5. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I am fortunate to be able to pick up my 55-94 anytime the notion hits me. A nice thing with the design is the ability to choose with the 'coil selector toggle', a 60's vs. 70's jazz sound. The tone with both coils engaged (MM) is cool too. Some people don't care for Barolini pickups, but drop-in alnico's versions are available if you are so inclined... I'm thinking that your ears will be pleased. Very comfortable neck profile, too. I'll second (third?) the notion - excellent choice for your first fiver :bassist:

6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

Yeah, I've read where some have opted for other elex, but personally, I love the standard bart elex on mine.

7. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    fantastic bass