1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland 5594 - "early small pickups"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RickC, Sep 28, 2009.

1. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
  2. If I remember correctly, the very earliest 55-94's had 4 string width pickups. Man, it was a long time ago, but I don't remember that being a particularly good thing, and they eventually went to the full width Barts for the 5 strings. You can see that the G and B string sit right on the edge of the pickups.

Sorry I don't remember the exact details, but that is basically the gist of it. I would avoid IMO.

3. SebbyNC

SebbyNC

Mar 17, 2005
    Guadeloupe
    Well I don't know for the J neck pickup, but indeed the MM bridge pickup is smaller than on my 55-94. Smaller such as I wonder if it's not a bit two small for picking up the B and G strings correctly? Maybe not.

4. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    No prob picking up the B & G. they sound great. played one like that many years ago at Brians shop and it slammed. Would be worth asking Brian if that is one of the ultra-rare 34" scale -94s. The one that I played back in '05 at his shop was a white 34" with the small pickups.

5. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    If you like the bass......getting rid of the "small" pups isnt a big deal. Just send the bass to reputable shop for a route job and have them install the pups of your choice. IMO, that is a small price to pay if you found a bass that is a keeper.

6. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Cool. Nice piece of Lakland history that I wasn't aware of.

Didn't know they made any 34" 5's either. You're right, it *would* be worth asking

/rick

7. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    They made a "few" but found that the B was a little "flat" so they went exclusively 35" later....I do not think Dan would make a 34" - he does not think it does the B justice...