Lakland 5594 Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cephas45, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Rosewood

11 vote(s)
  2. Birdseye Maple

22 vote(s)
  1. I'm trying to find out what you guys generally prefer as a fingerboard wood on a lakland 5594 - rosewood or birdseye maple. if your answer is maple, is it because maple is the classic stingray thing? i don't see that many 5594's with rosewood boards for sale and there's one locally that i'm checking out. i guess i'm somewhat concerned about future resale possibilities. let's hear some feedback. thanks! :)
  2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    That is what I prefer on all of my basses, well, at least over maple anyway.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My favorite is plain old Maple, no birdseye.
  4. My 55-94 is a nice grade of rosewood. It's a classic, so the body is alder, and it's really nice with TI jazz flats.

I got it for blues, and so far it really fits the bill. I especially like it in passive mode into the warm channel of my Mesa 400+.

5. i hear ya, thanks...
  6. I have a Deluxe 5594 w/ rosewood.

When I was first looking to get a 5594 I wanted a maple fretboard so I could get as much attack on the notes as possible. I came across the bass I own for a good price so I bought it, with some reservations since it didn't have the fretboard I wanted- I'm glad I did.

What I found, with the swamp ash body, electronics, hardware, ect., is that the bass gets a real snappy tone anyway and the rosewood helps to mellow that some. I can get a great slap tone or fingerstyle tone and the rosewood adds just enough mid-range so that it sounds more 'organic' and less processed.
  7. yeah, i hear you. i used to gig with a stingray 5 that had a swamp ash body + maple board and it had no problems getting bright tones! i guess what i'm thinking about mostly is resale down the road if i decide not to keep the bass.
  8. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I like the look of maple bottomline. I did not find my maple fretboard 55-94 off-the-charts bright. I am sure the rosewood would warm it up some. On some Lakland basses, the rosewood actually looks better.
  9. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I ordered my 55-94 deluxe with a rosewood fingerboard and Bartolini electronics. I have 11 electric basses and this bass is my favorite. Great tone and playability for all styles. It also is the lightest electric bass I own.

Did I mention that I love this bass?:)

10. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    This is the cousin to Jonathan's bass.

I stumble on it and it was too good of a deal to pass up. Like Bassin', I was originally looking for maple. Needless to say, I love this! But, I want my cake and eat it too. Eventually I also want a swamp ash with maple board to have all the extreme sonic possibilities of the 55-94 with Barts.
  11. extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Well, Laklands are so warm already that the maple gives the tone some nice cut...the birdseye maple is a killer look as well.
  12. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I had 2 dlx 55s, I kept the rosewood and sold the maple. The rosewood might be a little soft sounding at the lowest registers, but the maple had no b**ls. It was probably just a problem with that Lakland, I've played other maple boards that sounded fine. Still, I love the feel of the rosewood.
  13. I don't think anyone mentioned strings.
    First of all I love Laklands. I have 4-94 deluxe with maple, swamp ash, and barts. I use nickle strings and that gives me the even sound. I also have a Joe Osborn with rosewood. It's passive with nickle strings. They both sound superb.

I did have a 5594 with maple, swamp ash, and barts with nickel strings. It also sounded superb. I find the maple to sound "clearer" than the rosewood, but they are both pretty close. Much has to do with the strings and the rest of the rig including your style and eq.

I sold it because I'm just a four stringer by heart. All my 4 strings have hip-shots too just in case.
  14. keoliphant

Mar 11, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Does anyone have any experience with the ebony neck option?
  15. Just got home from playing my gold 55-94 Classic for a couple hours with great friends. Just having fun. I've never had as fine a tone.

This bass works great with TI Jazz Flats. I only wish I could get them extra long so I could string them through the body, though I doubt it would make much sonic difference.

16. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'm going to try some TI Jazz rounds on my fretted LE DLX 55-94. After switching to fretless, it's annoying to have to depress stiff feeling strings on my fretted basses. I never contemplated flats on a Lakland, and you certainly don't see many fretless 55-94s, do you?
  17. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used to own a 55-94 Deluxe with a maple neck. I prefer maple necks on this bass for all of the previously mentioned reasons related to tone. I also like the "look".

One thing that I noticed, and other TBers may be interested in commenting on, is that basses that have maple necks with graphite reinforcement bars seem to have a slightly different tone that those with no graphite bars in the neck; I'm talking acoustically as well as when played through an amp. As you may know, the US Laklands have graphite bars. It's difficult to describe the tone difference, but I'd say that the ones with the graphite bars have slightly less highs, slightly less attack, and have a different timbre than basses with with no graphite bars. The different is very subtle. I admit this may be due to the differences in the basses themselves, but I've played many different types of basses and I'm allowing for their inherent differences exclusive of the graphite bars. This is just a hypothesis & opinion at this point. Anyone else notice this?
  18. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Maple because Lakland doesn't offer Morado.

IMO rosewood and dark wood fretboards look better than maple. Rosewood sounds warmer [better?] for finger style, but I don't like it for slap. Maple OTOH is more responsive and looks good if it has some birdseye.

I can get a warm [rosewood] sound out of maple, but I can't get the response/feel of maple out of rosewood. If I were to special order a Lakland, I would get one with an ebony fret board.

Here's a pic of a Lakland 55-94 with maple. Looks good! ;)
  19. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Yet another reason why this Ken Smith with Morado/Pau Ferro fretboard is #1 for me!

20. yeah, morado seems to cover the whole range of frequencies well, whereas rosewood leaves me feeling cold for some reason. i'm thinking maple might be the way to go for me.