Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Lakland Skylines are GREAT!

99 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. Lakland Skylines SUCK!

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Lakland Skylines are eh, OK but don't come close to US Laklands.

24 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Do the Skyline series compare with the US series? And, is it true that Early US Laklands are better than ones being made now?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yes.

Better than the current US Laklands? No.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    do they compare? yes- at half the price, impossible to ignore- they are a lot closer in quality than in price ( half the dough?) -
    are they better ? no-
    are the early US laks better than new ones? - not that i know of, and i have played both early and new models- my .02

4. I a/b'ed them all last Friday- and if you blindfolded me I don't think I could tell the difference between a US and a Korean Lakland.

I've said before I'm not a big fan of 55-01s but they're still one hell of a lot of bang for the buck. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to anyone who wanted a great bass for a good price - but I do prefer my Skylines with US electronics.

edit: My US Lakland is a bit more than five years old. Newer 5-strings have wider pickups. I think the build quality on the newer Laklands is as good as the older ones - there is a small group of people that think the Classic Laklands sound better than the Deluxe models with a maple cap.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As a Skyline 55-02 owner, I would love to have a US Lakland with better shielding, better/prettier woods, and (I presume) the ability to get lower action.

But, for approx. $2k more than the 55-02??? No way! I'd get a true custom by a name luthier for that kind of money.

6. I don't think you can get lower action with a US Lakland - I just had my 55-94 set up by the factory last week and a properly set up 55-02 is just as fast.

I haven't heard anyone complain about neck stability problems with a Skyline - sounds to me like yours might need a setup, that's all. They do have prettier wood - I didn't look in a control cavity to see if the US models had better shielding.

I would kinda like to have a separate battery compartment in my US Lakland, though :)

7. I have heard a lot of talk about the poor shielding on the Skylines. How hard could it be to buy some of that copper foil stuff and just install it yourself? You could rework the wiring too if your not happy with it.

8. I have not been able to compare the Lakland Skylines with the American series but the Skylines is all I seem to need. It straight up gets the job done for me. It even makes me sound like I know what I'm doing. If the American made Lakland bass is any better than the non-American bass made Lakland than I guess I don't really need a better bass.

9. Neither do I or 99% of the other bassists out there, Greg. Ya done good :)

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Which also says - how hard could it be for Lakland's Korean factory to buy some and install it before the cavity is wired (at much lower cost because it would be bought in volume and mass produced???)

For the safety of the general public, believe me - you don't want me picking up tools!!!

Proper shielding isn't a luxury - it's basic good construction practice.

11. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I had a brief encounter with a 55-02. Only the feel of the bass was different to me. The 55-94 Deluxe I have is truly a luxurious bass. The 55-02 was more spartan-like, but sounded the same. Again, mine was a very brief encounter. It is all a matter of available bucks.

12. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Allan, i've been looking at mia Fender p's, I was wondering if you tried the skyline Bob Glaub out. I've read they compare to vintage Fenders.Any thoughts on them, or even the skyline Joe Osborn. Thanks

george

13. jb63

jb63

Jan 3, 2002
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I recently bought a 55-01 Skyline (sunburst, maple fretboard). IMHO, it is hands down the best bass you can buy for the money( I paid $763 new for mine). I prefer the sound of the 01 pickups vs. the 02, but that is just personal preference. If any of y'all are on the fence, jump off and buy one, you won't regret it!!!!

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think that the SkyLines are great basses. The ones I've played were great. The one I own has great action & set up the way I love it. But the USA are in a class by themselves when it comes to attention to detal.

Personally, if you wanted a Lakland w/the J/MM configuration, I'd look for a used USA. I've seen a few sell for alittle over what the Skylines sell new.

15. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I didn't vote on the poll because I only have playd one Lakland, and that's my 5 string USA made standard but I stumbled on their website and this is what I found: "Lakland Skyline Series basses feature the look and playability of our high-end basses and feature electronic components that are unmatched in the mid-price bass market. All Skyline Series basses undergo the same rigorous setup & quality control procedures by the staff luthiers in our Chicago shop."

I hope this has been helpful:D

16. gbenner said...

Allan, i've been looking at mia Fender p's, I was wondering if you tried the skyline Bob Glaub out. I've read they compare to vintage Fenders.Any thoughts on them, or even the skyline Joe Osborn. Thanks

Hi, George -

I've played the Skyline Glaub and the Osborn. IMO they nail what Fender's tried to do for a whole bunch of years. The Skylines aren't quite as refined as the US models do but the tone is identical. Fretwork and construction quality is top-notch and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

I've been spoiled by US Laklands but if you blindfolded me and plugged me in to an amp I don't think I could tell the difference between a US model and a Korean one.

Hope this helps -

17. Nino's advice is spot on. I bought a used US Lakland for less than $1500 - a new Skyline would run more than $1100.

If you have the funds and can be a bit patient hold out for a US model. If you have enough cash for a 55-02, it's only another $300 or $400 to get a nice used 55-94.

18. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    How much is the 55-02 going for real world anyway?

I'm thinking I may have to have one of these.

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    email me or call- 1 800 361 8827 - ill give you a quote- peace- Adrian

20. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Veering mildly off-topic here.

My Skyline 55-01 is shielded by some sort of black stuff, both in the control cavity and the pickup cavities. It's glossy and in a thick layer, different than the usual thin, flat shielding paint. Poking around with an ohm meter left me unimpressed, so when I installed my Sadowsky preamp I also did a shielding job with copper tape I got from Stew Mac.

People say don't put copper tape in when there is already shielding paint, since the two layers will act like a capacitor. Personally, I don't see how, if you are careful so everything is wired to the copper tape and nothing connected to the paint. Star grounding, and soldering the pieces of tape to each other, helps too.

I like the soapbar pickups in the 55-01. They sound good to me with the Sadowsky preamp.