1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland advice!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mexibass, Mar 26, 2013.

1. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    Hey guys, I'm on the market for a new bass, and I've been considering everything with a MM or a jazz pickup, and well, a nice price tag as well. Two Lakland Skyline basses caught my eye: the 44-02 (because of the american made electronics) and the 44 AJ (because of the jazz bass form factor)... the question is, does somebody know how much do these basses weight and how stable the necks are? What about these being made in Korea? Are they nicely built? they're around 1200-1400 usd, I want to get a well made bass for that money (not considering whatever I endup paying for having the bass sent to Mexico)!! Thanks all! :bassist:

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Love my 44-02, which weighs about 7.5 pounds. I personally think the newer Indonesian made Skylines are better than the old Korean ones. I went through a bunch of 44-02 and 55-01's until I found a pair I liked best, turns out they are both Indo made. They seem to be lighter and have a punchier sound.

Anyway, the necks are plenty stable. No issue there. They are top notch. I have not played a 44AJ but I wouldn't expect anything less, just different.

3. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Every bass weighs different just to be clear.

4. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    Cool, thnx for the input! I didn't even know they were made in Indonesia now, problem is buying from here, I won't be able to test them in person, but there's nothing I can do about it. 7.5 pounds is so freakin light!

5. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    Yeah, I'm starting to be aware of that. I used to think the opposite, but maybe I can get an idea on an average weight on each model.

6. 7.5 lbs, seriously??? Wow. That's in the ballpark of my old Precision Lyte. I'm looking for a lightweight bass right now, and something like that would fit the bill perfectly. I'll put those on my list of ones to check out. 7.5?!?! :eek:

7. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    That's pretty out of the norm, IME (and I've picked up a bunch of 44-02s). I'd expect 9 lbs, on average, with some closer to 8 and some closer to 10.

8. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    How can I know if the DJ has aero pickups or Lakland?

9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    There is a way to tell by the color of the wires, but someone wiser than me will have to provide the specifics.

I do know they switched from Aeros to Lakland/Hansons in 2007, so if it's pre-07, you should have Aeros. On Skylines, the first two digits of the serial number indicate the year in which the bass was made.

10. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    Thanx man, I'm actually thinking on buying one, it's just that I've heard bad and good things about aero pickups but I have never tried them in real life. On the other hand, I've only hear good things about Lakland Hanson pickups, so I'd rather go that way, I guess that's the bad thing about buying a bass online, u can't know for sure what ur getting.

Also, u seem to be very knowledgeable about the skyline series, so I'd like to ask u what would u choose between a DJ 5, a 55-AJ and a 55-02, and why. Thnx again!

11. macribas

macribas

Jan 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    It really depends on what kind of music you play. The DJ5 also has a different neck profile than the other two you mentioned. The most versatile is the 55-02. If you must own just one bass, that might be the ticket.

12. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    CT, New England
    Depending on the age of the DJ's, I know Aero used to use red bobbins for quite a while on their pickups so if your pups have the red bobbins I'd venture to say they are definitely Aero as that's what they use when they have it. BTW, IME 7.5 lbs is stupid light for a bass so I'd jump on that one. I think the Indo Laklands run a little lighter as well although I own a 7.5 lb Korean 44-02 and an 8.5 lb 55-01 and am very thankful after owning several 9+ lb Laklands in the past. Dan Lakin told me directly on the phone though that he believes the heavier Ash bodies to be more resonant and have the best tone FWIW. Everyone's mileage varies so find something that works for you. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

13. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    Thnx for the input dude! I play all kinds of rhythms on a regular week, from hard rock to funk, jazz, salsa and such. I'm looking for a versatile, lightweight bass, and I think I'm leaning towards the 55-02 even though I favor the looks of the DJ, which makes me think that a DJ with a preamp would do the job. It all depends on what I can get online.

14. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    Thanks man, I got word from someone at Lakland that they're not using Aeros anymore on the DJ's, they're using Lakland Hanson's since 2011, I'm still on the market for my first Lakland but I don't think I'll be disappointed whatever bass I choose! You'll be the first to know ;)

15. I have a 2007 Korean made 44-02 and I love it. Craftsmanship want perfect though. The neck was all messed up, my tech took it apart and found some of the poly coating has dripped into the neck pocket and wouldn't let the neck soy straight. He sanded it down and shimmed it and now it plays great aside from the fact that the low gets are super worn down so I can never get rid of the buzz.

If I had paid $1400 for this I'd be pissed but I only paid $650 so it's not so bad.

This bass easily copies a 60s and a 70s jazz bass sound and can do a believable Stingray tone. The only tone I can't get is a p bass.