Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Barts-Polepieces?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Feb 11, 2005.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I recently aquired a Lakland 55-02 Deluxe. It has the USA Barts and pre.

The bass plays beautifully, but since the strings are matched to the curvature of the fingerboard the A string doesn't seem to have quite the same Umph or output as the other 4 strings. I assume it's because it is the farthest away from the pups.

Bartolini's site seems to suggest they tailor the pickups output areas to the fingerboard curvature of the particular bass they are going to be installed in. Even though they custom make these for Lakland, that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Before I go ripping this bass apart, looking under the pickup covers, does anybody know if there are adjustable pole pieces under there (either pickup)?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    barts use a bar, not poles (hence the solid cover... bars don't market as well).

3. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Well, I have had pickups in the past with solid covers that had pole peices underneath the covers. So there's no way to adjust the outputs then? Is the curvature (if any) of the bar changable?

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    no clue.... I only knew that much from discussing the making of some wood covers for a pair of barts I own.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

yeh, think you're SOL there. I would call Bart and make an inquiry. They returned my only call to them within a couple hours of leaving a message. If nothing else, they need to hear the complaint. Hopefully, they'll have a viable option.

But sometimes you have to wonder if anybody ever tested a piece before they assembled 10,000 more units.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Bartolini is well known for their high quality production and terrible customer service.
    So if you have an issue with one of their pickups you have to worry. DOn't even expect email returns. Phone call maybe ?
    In your case I'd go directly through Lakland.

7. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    There are no "covers" on Bart pickups...they're potted in epoxy. If you want to be able to get a more balanced output on the strings, you might consider a custom set of pickups from Carey Nordstrand. He can tailor make what you'd need. In fact, he has a new pickup he JUST developed specifically as a drop in for Laklands...it's pretty incredible.
    For what it'll cost you (which is a bargain, IMO), you'll get everything you want.

8. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Hmmm,
    I may consider that. The disheartening thing is I really like the overall tone of these barts. The volume difference is very, very subtle so I may just live with it. The funny thing is, when you order a set from bartolini they want to know what your fingerboard radius is to avoid this kind of problem. :confused:

9. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I have a 55-02 and I have the same problem. It is a little frustrating. My solution for now is to play softer on the strings that are louder and heavier on the strings that are quieter.

I still love the bass though.

I may mess with my compressore/limiter settings on my Boss GT-6b to see if that helps with the louder strings.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

Rarely mess with compression so it never crossed my mind, but's that's a good idea. In general Barts tend to be active-like in nature and in my experience compression doesn't have as pronounced affect on active pups in terms of knocking the rawness out of them - since they typically don't have much if any to begin with, and many Barts are that way. I often forget too that compression can ad some nice focus and definition to an otherwise clouded tone, and some Barts aren't clear. So depending on the Barts and your taste, it may not only resolve the imbalance but enhance the tone. Only downside may be loss of dynamics.

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Could it be a bad A string?

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    No. Use the same sets on all my basses and plus, this is not the first set on this bass.