Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Apr 11, 2002.

1. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Got my new LAKLAND 55-94 today. Opened the case and POW! I give it a 95/100. I have Bart pickups, maple neck, etc...Look at the picture.

Now for the questions: It is said that the Lakland can sound like the MM Stingray, Fender Jazz, and Fender P-Bass. Does any one know how to "dial in" these or any other "reference" settings? What's the best "slap" setting?

2. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Here's the picture.
  3. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Congratulations! You'll have lots of fun.

IMHO, the Lakland will not sound exactly like a MM Stingray, Fender Jazz or P. It has a sound of its own. It sounds like a Lakland ;)

Try blending between the two pickups. There is also the 3-position coil switch for the bridge pickup, which offers a range of tones. It's versatile.
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Man! That's bee-yoo-ti-ful!
  5. I've always thought that Laklands were very beautiful basses. That is a very good example. I really like the natural finish. Congratulations and have fun!!

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego

To goof around in the J-bass domain, pan to the rear pickup, switch to rear position, bass and treble flat, boost the mid. Set your dip switches to 700 to start, then try 500.

For MM/P sound, try center detent on pickup pan, set treble flat, and boost bass and mid slightly.
  7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    My aproach:

-J-Bass Slap:
    Pan: Center
    Bridge Selector: BRIDGE Coil

-J-Bass FingerStyle:
    Bridge Selector Bridge Coil
    EQ: Add some mids, cut some highs
    Play near the bridge with heavy atack.

Not the real sound, but close
    Pan: Bridge (Maybe a little neck)
    Bridge Selector: NECK coil
    The neck pickup alone wont sound like a P, more like a J-Bass with the Neck Pickup only.

-MM Stingray
    Pan: BRIDGE (100%)
    Bridge Selector: PARALLEL (Center position, Both Coils on)
    EQ: CUT some mids, add a little lows.

The Laklands are very impressive, they respond a lot to finger attack so vary your hand position and technique to find new sounds.

-Lakland Sound (To my apreciation, Its OWN unique sound):
    Pan: Center
    Bridge Selector: PARALLEL (Center Position)
    EQ: Flat (Cut some mids add some highs for slapping)
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

9. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used own a 55-94 Deluxe. It's a great bass. your quilted maple top is terrific.

Here's my settings:

J bass tone: pan center; humbucker coil selector at the bridge coil only. slight boost in bass and treble, very slight cut in mids. This never really sounded like a Jazz to me, but somewhat close.

Musicman: pan humbucker only. boost bass to taste - say nearly 75% of max, boost treble to taste, mids flat. This gets pretty close!

Lakland tone: pan center. Humbucker coil set at both coils on. slight boost in bass and treble, and mids flat.
  10. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a 55-94 with a rosewood fingerboard. I usually run all the controls centered except for a little boost in the mids. Great sounding bass that always pleases me on a gig.

11. Chuck said...

I have a 55-94 with a rosewood fingerboard. I usually run all the controls centered except for a little boost in the mids. Great sounding bass that always pleases me on a gig.

I do the same but set the bass flat and bump the mids a bit on my rack. Killer tone.

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    congratulations, James- shes a beauty!