Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrtreacle, Oct 18, 2003.

1. mrtreacle

mrtreacle

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I am used to playing Stingray's but have recently discovered Lakland basses. Can anyone enlighten me as to how these compare to a Ray? Also, I went to the Lakland site but I couldn't find a contact number or email address for the company, anyone have one? Thanks!

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Oh dear lord, PLEASE do a search. This has to be in the top 5 subjects ever covered here on Talkbass. If you want to narrow your search a little, add the keyword skyline, or look for references for the 55-02 model.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Dan's e-mail is listed in small print via a link at the bottom of the home page:

dlakin@lakincorp.com

4. I'll bite anyway. I play a Lakland 55-94 maple neck with Bartolini pick-ups and I've owned a Music Man Sterling and a StingRay 5 in the past. I start by saying that I have lot of respect for MM basses. I would rate them at the top of the "mid-level" basses. If I were playing rock or punk or anything that featured guitars thru stacks I would want a MM for sure, they just cut through.
    The 55-94 has a lot more tonal colors and it's warmer to me. as for the workmanship, I say it's like a MM on steroids. The feel is INCREDIBLE and this can be attributed to the attention to detail. The B string is great, light counter-sunk tuners, jumbo bridge that strings through the body and has plenty of sustain, flawless fit and finish, excellent fret work, string spacing and thin neck shape, are all noteworthy. I also noticed the balance is right on when I play with a strap standing up. Even the cable to imput jack connection seems a little snugger than most.

I just think it's a good honest practical players tool. The tone variation possibilities are many. Perfect for the working bass player who wnts to travel light. I'm not sure it nails say a p-tone, j-tone,mm-tone, perfectly, but it comes close and it adds a lot of it's own character.

Okay so I have a biased opinion! As I read more and more on this site I'm finding there are at least 10 other high end brands that might just smoke Laklands (Sadowsky, R bass, Smith, Fedora, ....ect, insert your favorite brand here______) but for the money I think Lakland is a premium value. I got mine used for $1,700 so thats my comparison point. If you got the dough I think it's worth every penny to "step-up" to a high end bass of any stripe.

5. I would have to disagree with you here. They don't smoke Laklands, they're all just different. RBass, Smith, and Fodera that you mentioned are handmade basses and I don't feel that they can be directly compared. Sadowsky's, Lulls, and Laklands all play on the sound, looks, and overall vibe of the classic Leo Fender designs. IMO they are all what they are, but I don't see one 'smoking' another. They're just different.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    and if you're really interested in lakelands, try the skyline series
    theyre made in korea and typically cost about 1100 for a 4
    i can't belive that they're made in korea and i've never remembered being that impresed with a company's "affordable" line of basses before - truly remarkable, and i dont give praise lightly

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Laklands are among the most gig- friendly basses there are, period- They sit great in a mix- cover everything from heavy rock ( Papa Roach) to R&B and Jazz, they are quiet, the have a great fingerstyle sound and killin slap sound- if it weren't that i love F basses so much , i might just be playing a Lak as my main axe--
    the Skylines are a great value- go for the 55-02 if you can- the US models are extremely sweet-
    Dan is a great guy to deal with- what more could i say?? thumbs UP for Laklands!!

8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've owned a Stingray 4 fretted and fretless and fretted SR5's. They are great basses and are great values on the used market.

I presently own a 55-94, 55-63, a USA Joe Osborne with a Moses neck and a Skyline Dudepit Limited edition Joe Osborne. These are among the finest basses that I've owned and I've had a lot of expensive basses including Ken Smith, Roscoe, Pedulla, Warwick and Modulus.

I don't remember ever taking a Lakland bass to a gig and wishing I had brought something else. They just work for me. The tone and the feel are wonderful.

I think so much of them that I have a fretless 55-94 on order.

The Lakland basses are much more refined sounding than Stingray basses. The Stingray's are too agressive sounding for most of the gigs I play.

Chuck

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Lakland is MUCH more versatile, and weighs two or three pounds less. I own both.

10. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have a Lakland Skyline 55-01, the korean made line, and it's an incredible bass. I can't believe I just paid $700 for it. The bass is very well made and very comfortable to play (unless you have smaill hands). The B string is killer ! And with two pickups and the amazing onboard pre-amp you can play virtually any style. The bass is very quiet and feels good to wear. I've gotten numerous complements with it.

On the other hand I also have a MM Stingray 5. I paid $1300 for it and it's a different animal from the Lakland. Beleive it or not, the Lakland's construction is dead on with the MM. The Stingray has that in your face sound that cuts very well in the mix. It's much smaller than the Lakland and the neck is 34" in scale. The B string is very good but the Lakland's is just in another league. (primarilly because it has a 35" neck).

It's just a matter of taste. I'm very happy because I know I have to very good basses that can be used in different situations and styles. Try the Laklands if you can you'll love them. You can order the Skyline Lakland with the USA Bartolini pickups and pre-amp and be right there in therms of sound with the $2000+ USA
    Laklands.

I hope this long speech helped.

11. mrtreacle

mrtreacle

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Thanks so much for all your feedback.

12. Laklands are great basses. The MM has a place no doubt, but I don't have one. I've got a Joe Osborn USA that is my hands down favorite. It's got the Lindy Fralin passives and sounds, plays, looks fantastic. It can be a bit limited but for my style it's not a problem. I also have a 4-94 deluxe that is very sweet. I have had a 55-94 but grew tired of 5'rs :eek: I do currently have a 4-94 Deluxe fretless for sale if you are interested.

13. mrtreacle

mrtreacle

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Is $1100 a good price for a used 4-94 deluxe?

14. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Assuming that the bass is a deluxe model (quilted or flamed top) I would say that $1100 is a good price for a used 44-94 in good-excellent condition. If it is in less than good codition, I would pass.

15. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Yep, volumes exist on this subject. I had both. Both are very well made, solid basses. The Lakland has the edge with its PU configuration IMO. Many nuances available. I like the 35-inch scale and wider neck. Yet the MM has a good feel and a definitive tone.