Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LAKLAND BASSES...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zender976, Oct 10, 2000.

1. zender976

zender976

Aug 12, 2000
    hey guys, just wanted to get some feedback from anybody who either owns a lakland, has spent a good amount of time playing a lakland, or just knows lots about them. i'm thinking about buying a 55-94 (w/barts and ebony fretboard mmmmmm sweet!)....so my question to you lakland guys is what do you think about the tone and feel of the bass and also how the 55-94 stacks up to the 55-63... any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    I have a 55-94 Deluxe. It has a maple fingerboard (you can also get one with rosewood). I'm not sure if they sell one with an ebony fretboard, unless you are looking for a fretless.

I don't know how a 55-63 sound like. But the 55-94 gives an interesting variety of tones with the jazz (neck) and the 3-position coil musicman (bridge) pickups. You can get a traditional bass tone as well as hard-edge rock tones, which is why I like it so much. And oh ... the low B is unbeatable.

3. zender976

zender976

Aug 12, 2000
    thanks for the 411! i keep hearing that the B string on laklands are pretty untouchable so thats why i'm 95% sure i'm gonna take the plunge and get one. oh yeah, and about the whole ebony fretboard option, i saw a lakland (55-94 deluxe i think) at basspalace.com, its got the quilted maple top and an ebony fretboard, if i ever saw a sexy bass that was definitely one! anyways, i being recruited for an R&B group and figured that the extra low end would definitely come in handy =)

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, this is a topic for me. I have a 55-94 Deluxe, amber quilt, birdseye maple fretboard, Bart pickups. The neck plays itself. It has the fullest range of tones of any bass I've played. I bought a Pedulla Thunderbolt 5 fretless after that and, while it has amazing tone and is equally as playable as the Lakland, it doesn't quite compare to the Lakland in wood, finish and overall quality of construction.

Soooo ... the Pedulla is for sale, and I've ordered a Lakland 55-94 Deluxe fretless, teal quilt (no burst), ebony board w/lines, Barts and ... don't hurt me ... gold hardware.

I will extend the same warranty to you that I did to the person who wanted to know about the Fender Roscoe Beck 5 ... If you don't like the Lakland, I will buy it from you at a ridiculously low price. DO IT. You won't be sorry.

Now that I think of it, maybe a Pedulla would be better for you ...

P.S. Yeah I know some of you saw me bragging about the new one in another thread, but it gives me a reltney just thinking about it. By the way, are any of you willing to donate a kidney to me?

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Still holding back the p¡ss, eh?

:D

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Just trying to hold up my end of the bargain.

7. I'm the new proud owner of a Lakland Deluxe 55-94 with an amber finish and rosewood fretboard. All's I can say is when Munjibunga stated that "the neck plays itself", he wasn't lying. :)

I had two other five strings that I've since sold in fear that they would gather too much dust.:D

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Just to add some balance to the debate from someone who doesn't own one but has looked at and tried quite a few in shops. I do like the look of them and they are high quality, but to me, not high enough to justify the prices.

Laklands are very expensive in the UK and are double the price of the most expensive Fender, for example, but there is no way that they are twice as good as say a Fender Roscoe Beck signature.

I also find Laklands a bit big and bulky - not as comfortable as other basses in this price range or cheaper basses like the Tune range. In the UK, they are about the same price as a Sadowsky, but to me the Sadowskys are more impressive, in terms of sound and looks, but this is just personal preference.

9. zender976

zender976

Aug 12, 2000
    thanks for all the input guys! anyhow, my mind was pretty much already set on gettin one, but everybody's feedback just gave me reassurance that i'm doing the right thing! so much next question would be how much did you guys get your laklands for and what would be a good price for one? i'm thinking a 5 string lakland 55-94 should be around 2200-2400 or sumthin' like that. the thing that sucks is that i'm probably gonna hafta sell my musican sterling to help fund this purchase, oh well, i guess it's just being sacraficed for a greater good....lol

10. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    My .02 I just bought my second dlx 55 :)
    #1 is a Tobacco Burst/maple board with DR Hi Beams.
    #2 is a natural (satin finish) w/rosewood board and what I believe are Lakland stainless strings (yellow silk) and, gulp, gold hardware.

I had approval from "she" to buy a Sadowsky, but when I saw #2 at Bass Northwest's website, I had to buy it. It is simply the most beautiful bass I have ever seen, the quilted maple finish is incredible, its like buying a hundred basses, because it never looks like the same bass, it changes with light and angle. It looks so good, my wife has put it on display in our bedroom bay window and jokingly informs me I have to get permission to take it out of the house.

The rosewood necked Lakland seems to be more responsive to tone control changes, and to me, the neck plays a little faster/smoother. Without identical strings its hard to say if the neck makes all the difference in tone, but it is mighty impressive. I am toying with putting the maple board on the natural and the rosewood on the tobacco, but if this thing sounds as good through my rig as it does on my practice unit, I won't mess with it. The satin finish not only looks good, but I don't feel like I'm going to stick to it when I play it. The other up side is the natural is noticeably lighter, and Laklands are already light.

I could have bought any bass I wanted, I bought a second Lakland dlx 55. Yeah, I'll get a Sadowsky some day just because I can, but I will keep both Laklands!

You asked your dollar question after I finished my post, so I'll answer here. I got both Laklands used, but in immaculate condition. With shipping, #1 was $1,480, and #2 was $1,939 (BNW had to get their cut, #1 was from a private party).

[Edited by Thumper on 10-11-2000 at 01:11 PM]

11. To Zender976,

As a former Lakland Employee, I can tell you that the workmanship that goes into a Lakland bass is second to none in their category. I'm not saying that they build their basses so much by hand anymore, because the bodies and necks are made to Lakland's specs by CNC machines, and then finish sanding is done by Lakland employees. They are, however, meticulously (is that spelled right?) assembled and set up to their standards. All of the fretwork and neckwork is done or overseen by Carl Pedigo, who will not let a bass go out until it has met his stringent standards. I was involved with working with Joe Osborn and Bob Glaub in the process of making their respective prototype signature basses, as well as the prototype 5 strings of all types, and I have to tell you that they are top quality wood and craftsmanship. Dan Lakin, who owns the company, genuinly cares about each and every Lakland owner, and will make sure that you are happy with your Lakland purchase, no matter where you bought it - used or new.

In my experienced opinion, go ahead and buy it. You will have a bass that will last you a lifetime with the customer service that Lakland will give you. Just make sure you have the amplification to accurately produce the great sound of the bass.

Herm

12. zender976

zender976

Aug 12, 2000
    cool stuff thumper...i'd like to see pics of your lakland if ya got'em! anyways, i've seen some used laklands around (theres one on ebay right now) but my whole thing is i've bought my last few basses used and have been very fortunate that my basses were in immaculate condition (got my 1990 neck thru thumb bass in a steal! $975!!!!)ANYWAYZ...if i can find a good deal on a used lakland and can try it out first hand i'll definitely go for it (so if you guys know someone in the bay area who wants to get rid of a nice lakland let me know! hahahah), but right now i have no qualms about paying big bucks for a new quality 5 string, because they way i see it, this might be the only 5 i need for a long long time,but that doesn't mean i'll stop buying basses though...

13. zender976

zender976

Aug 12, 2000
    thanks for the note herm! damn, you should guys should get some commission on my lakland!!! but seriously though, i appreciate everybody's feedback, it's been a huge help. it's also refreshing to know that mr. lakin actually cares about his basses and more importantly his customers. to me, paying the extra amount of money for the craftsmanship and service you'll get along with the great sounding bass totally justifies its price, you guys will be the first to know when i get my bass...

zender

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    [​IMG][​IMG]

These photos don't do justice to how good this bass looks in person (55-94 Limited, gold HW). It was and is immaculate. None of which would matter if it didn't play and sound as good as it does. I got it barely used in trade for a $1475 Roscoe LG-3005. It's my main fretted bass.

I'd like to find one of their fretlesses though I somehow doubt it will replace my Legacy 5.

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Brad -

The quilt on yours looks really good - my amber is just like it. Dan sure ends up with some nice wood. I'm just hoping my new teal one is as nice.

16. zender976

zender976

Aug 12, 2000
    HOLY SCHNIKIES BRAD!!!!!:D

that is one BEAUTIFUL bass! can't wait to get mine now!!!

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...the evil penguin strikes again!!!

Beautiful bass Brad :D

18. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    What a beauty, Brad. Mine is the same except for the hardware, which is not GOLD like yours. Gee, I'm so jealous!

19. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Does anybody else have 2 Lakland dlx 55s? Specifically, a maple board and a rosewood board. I have a question regarding tone and output. E-mail responses are fine.

20. dan a

dan a

Oct 6, 2000
    I also have a 55-94 dl like Brad's. Chrome
    hardware though. Great bass!!
    Dan