Lakland Bob Glaub Maple Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big String, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Opinions...
    I am a Lakland owner all the way. I currently have three. I'm thinking of getting a Bob Glaub P-Bass but can't make up my mind between a maple neck or rosewood. I prefer maple as a general rule on my basses but have rosewood on my Joe Osborn Lakland and love it. I wonder how much difference it would make on a P-Bass because of the signature sound of a P? I think I will probably go with maple, but just wondered what all of you P players think. Thanks :D
  2. I'm a P, J, RB5 player, and I admire the Bob Glaub bass.

I don't like maple finger boards, but this is strictly opinion on my part.

Maple has to have a hard finish in place, or the wood gets damaged. This really bothers me. Yes, it is irrational, but it bothers me anyway. Furthermore, I don't like the appearance, but that isn't the real issue for me.

The Bob Glaub is offered with an ebony finger board. This is clearly the choice for me. Maple is bright and snappy, and ebony is more so. Ebony is harder and more durable, and doesn't require the finish as does maple.

I have Pau Ferro on my RB5 and prefer it to rosewood. My MIM P and MIM J fretless both have rosewood, which I also like. The fretless is going to get a replacement P-width neck from Warmoth with an ebony finger board. Eventually I will replace the P with a Warmoth neck, also in ebony.
  3. SCH

May 3, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    I recently bought the Lakland "Bob Glaub" P-bass with the maple neck. It's a terrific bass in all respects.

From what I can tell, the prevailing feeling around here is that rosewood is a bit warmer than maple, but I can't honestly hear any difference.

The P-bass sound of the Glaub is there is spades. The fit and finish are superb. It's a great bass. You won't be disappointed.
  4. Thanks Guys,
    What body finish did you get. The maple makes it a little more difficult for me to get the color I like. I'm really thinking about. I guess I better get back to work.
  5. SCH

May 3, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    Big String,

I got the three-tone sunburst with the birdseye maple (jazz style) neck. Sweetness!
  6. Sch,
    Thanks for the replies. Your bass sounds great. I figure you chose the jazz neck because you liked it, but I was wondering why not the Jazz bass then? Maybe the electronics or looks? Reason for asking is I already have a Jazz and Deluxe four string Lakland. I'm not playing my 55-94 Deluxe Cherry Sunburst, Maple with Barts much these days and I'm thinking about selling it. I went through the five string fad and just like my four strings better. I don't really play jazz to much and find I like the tightness of four string 34" scales better. Plus I have drop - D tuners on my 4's.
  7. SCH

May 3, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    Big String,

I have a J-bass (Carvin LB-70) which is a decent bass, but I found over time that I prefer the P-bass sound. I've heard people say they can get the P sound on a J-bass, but to me it's not the same. If you want the P-sound, I pretty much think you've got to get a P-bass. I bought the Glaub used through Bass Northwest. I like J-necks, so the deal seemed like the best of both worlds; P-sound, J neck!
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    The Carvin may be a decent bass, but it's not a real J bass.
  9. TBONE64

TBONE64 Guest

Feb 22, 2002
    Chesterfield, VA
    Big String

I own a Lakland Glaub with a P/Maple neck.

While the 60's sound of a P is traditionally known for it's Rosewood boards, in the 50's it was a Maple. I really like the sound of both. I play alot blues, post-war Chicago and Sun Records kind of stuff. If I am not on an upright, I am on my Glaub.

You will get a little more punch with Maple as the RW will give the old warmth. Dan and company did a teriific job at recreating a classic, and with the different next you can have '57 or a '64.

Either way you can't go wrong it is a teriffic instrument.
  10. thanks guys,
    which neck is which, that is 57 or 64? I do have smaller hands and I'm most comfortable with my Lakland Deluxe which is 1.6 at the nut were the Jazz is 1.5 and the P is 1.75 considerably bigger. I will be trying them out next week. Just wanted all the feedback I can get before then. I was not aware that there were choices of year when it came to the necks.
  11. TBONE64

TBONE64 Guest

Feb 22, 2002
    Chesterfield, VA
    The neck options are a jazz neck 1.5 p neck 1.75.

The maple neck and rosewood necks in maple are the same. I made the reference to feel and sound between the necks. You cannot get a 57 neck or a 64 neck, just a p or j. Sorry for the confusion.

I also own an original 64 and neck radius is fairly close to my Glaub. Whereas, on my older 57 reissue that I had the radius was a little tubbier.

With smaller hands, you may like the Jazz neck a little better.
  12. Thanks Mr. T
    That clears that up. I guess I read into it to much the first time. I will get up to Chitown next week and see what I can see. I have gotten many compliments on my newest Lakland Jazz on looks and sound. I picked up a Bergantino HT212 which I'm running through my Mesa 400+ and it sounds superb with the Jazz and my Deluxe, so I'm sure the P-Bass will follow suit. Thanks for your help. All I will need is a Lakland Hollow an my collection will be set. :cool: Wait, I forgot about a fretless :eek:
    Wait here come my Wife.... I was just kidding, really just kidding... HELP>>>>
  13. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    BigString, check your e-mail.

14. GrooveGu
    I responded to your talkbass email.
  15. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    I have a Lake Placid Blue with rosewood. Next I want a Candy Apple Red with maple.

I have no preference for fretboards, other than what I feel better matches the body color.
  16. Well I made it up to the Lakland shop and all I have to do is decide which neck. I'm sold on the Maple birdseye, but can't make up my mind on the Jazz or standard P-bass neck. They both felt superb but I'm wondering if I would get fatigued after playing a P neck for 4 hours or more??? ..... hmmmm. I am aware no one can make my mind up for me. My thing is I would always feel it's not up to snuff without the standard P-neck. That's not really important as how it plays etc. Schezz, talk about fickled... anyhoo, I'm getting a Candy Red with a maple neck, that much I know. Oh, and probably a perloid white pick guard. At least that's something that can be changed down the road if I change my mind.

Second question: Who uses flats? Mr. Lakin let me play one of his personal collection that had Adam Clayton's signature on it. Trivia. Anyway, it's a maple jazz neck with flats. Man O man that old school vibe was right there. Made me squirm a bit. I never used flats and just looking for feed back again. I alway have the Joe Jazz to pull out with the DR sumbeams lock and loaded.
  17. Jason Brown

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    Man, I wish I was getting that CAR with maple neck...I know i will one day.

I Use TI flats on mine. I actually use them on all my basses. They have a lower tension than most other strings, but their sound can't be beaten, IMO.
  18. Thanks Jason,
    So do any of your P-Basses have a jazz neck or all standard? My hands are not that big btw.
  19. Jason Brown

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    They all have the standard necks. Jazz necks have sort of fallen out of favor with me. I find the C neck most comfortable to play.

My hands are probably average sized.