Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Bob Glaub P-bass = Metal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Jiggy Fly, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Hi!
    I was wondering if anyone on this forum has a Lakland/ Skyline Bob Glaub P-bass. I play classic metal (Iron Maiden/ Black Sabbath type stuff) and funk, and I was wondering if this bass would be suitble for this if it had flatwounds on it? Also, please tell me any comments you have on the bass. Thanks.

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Considering Geezer was on the cover of "Bass Guitar" with one in his hand, I think you'll be ok. :D

3. Thanks. I saw im with one, but Im unsure whether or not he has flatwounds on.

4. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    I'll check the article if you want me to

5. That would be great! I dont have tht issue.

6. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Just a minor correction - he has a Hollowbody Deluxe on the cover of BP.

Inside, it says he has "a Bob Glaub Signature with a PJ pickup configuration." Also, it mentions heavy-gauge DR strings, but I didn't catch what type.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I don't own one but I am 100% certain that it would be suitable for your purposes whether it had flats or rounds.

I *would* own one if a 5-string model was available.

8. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    DRs don't make flats.

9. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I play hard rock in one of my bands. Some of those songs are of the Black Sabbath/Classic Metal type. I use TI Jazz Flats on my Bob Glaub.

I've been told I sound pretty good.

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Its a P bass thats it. Steve Harris.......... Some one has one for sale around here

Aj

11. Thanks, thats just what I was looking for.

How do you like your Glaub (feel, tone, etc)?

12. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    He was also on the cover of "Bass Guitar" with the Gaub.

13. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Oops, I read the post wrong. Sorry. :oops: That's what happens when I'm up late.

If you want to know anything from the article in BP, I'd be glad to help out.

14. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    First, the feel. It feels just like a perfectly fit, well-broken in vintage Fender P. It's a pleasure to play, and makes you not want to put it down.

The tone is even better than the feel. It ranges from a total bottomy deep well of chocolate bass with a visceral thump (with the tone knob toward the bassy end) to something more aggressive and assertive with the tone knob all the way up.

If you're looking for buzzy piano like tones, this is not the bass and these are not the strings for you. If you're looking for something like Jamerson's sound all the way to Geezer, this is a great combination. It's certainly not a Cliff tone, or a Jason tone, it's more traditional and bottom-oriented than that.

15. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    Yeah he has the P/J- though the skyline doesnt offer this, you'd have to do it yourself. As for strings,
    "BG- Any particular brand of strings you had a prefrence for?
    Geezer- I think I was stringing everything with Rotosounds back then, but I'm using DR round wounds now. Those are the only ones I've really noticed a difference with."

16. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Steve Harris plays with Rotosound flats. That should be answer enough.

17. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I dont know if its just me but I play alot of metal and I never really thought to myself when buying a bass "is this gonna work for metal?" I think the metal genre is pretty tolerant to a bunch of bass tones especially a p-bass tone (as mentioned b4 steve harris) Thats just my 2 cents anyways. Oh and if u do get the Bob Glaub, I'll be very jealous lol

18. To clarify why I asked if it would work for metal, it was ecause certain basses' tone just doesn't fit a particular style. For instance, would you use a Modulus Flea bass in a smooth jazz trio, or a Jazz bass with flatwounds on a nu-metal tune. Some basses just don't fit certain style.