Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Bob Glaub vs. fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cecile, Jun 19, 2005.

1. I've been looking to find a replacement for my p-bass and I haven't much luck finding anything that just screams "play me". I was cruzing the forums and I saw a thead that mentioned that Lakland Bob Glaubs were pretty good. I really want to try one out but there are no stores near me that carries lakland. How does the tone and over all quality compare to an old fender? Any other p-bass style basses I should try out?

2. I have a skyline(import of lakland) bob glaub and i can say it is better than a new American fender p-bass. My glaub has a great vintage tone, even with the stainless steel strings on it. The Fralin pickup is a great pickup. The frets are perfect and the hipshot tuners stay in tune for weeks at a time. For less than the price of a new American fender, the bob glaub is a better bass. Also, the lakland skylines only come with ash bodies, so you should take that in account.

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'd agree with nickalan620, the Skyline Bob Glaub is a great P-style bass. The quality is top notch, and the Fralin pickup nails the vintage tone.

I have a great MIA Standard P-Bass that I bought off of ebay, but I think I really lucked out. I did opt to replace it's stock pickup with a Nordstrand NP-4; it's low end sounded murky to me. I've since played quite a few MIA's that really didn't impress me.

I guess you can try out a bunch of MIA's until you find a good one, but IMO if you find a Skyline (or if you can afford the U.S.-made Glaub) at a fair price, I'd jump on it.

- Art

4. I was looking to by a vintage fender p-bass but I'm wanting to try a new brand. So the lakland pretty much sound like an old fender?

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I don't know if anything can have the true vintage vibe other than an actual vintage instrument (and for me that's an L-Series Fender P-Bass). There's an old boy that I ran across who has a '64 P-Bass. He let me use the bass on a gig and I was willing to trade him my Modulus Q-4 straight across, he didn't bite for a second. :crying:

I've played a Skyline Glaub and (for me) it has the "play me" vibe you're talking about. It's certainly got a vintage-type of tone, partly due to it's Lindy Fralin pickup. It's fit and finish was superb, and I loved it's neck. I think you can order a neck with a J-style profile (1.5"), but the one I played was the classic 1.75" P-Bass dimensions.

6. gojirin

gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Denver,CO
    The Fralins used in the Lakland sound very much like the classic P sound. I'm planning to put them in my Frankenfender to replace it's current Duncans. If you like your current bass, you might consider replacing the pu's to get the sound you are looking for.
    That said, Laklands are fantastic. I have DJ jazz and love it - The vibe of older Fenders are hard to beat, but from my experience the Laklands are just plain better for the money. There are so many mediocre, expensive basses out there. This would be the place to look for good vintage, though.