Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Bob Glaub vs. Sadowsky ultra-vintage p

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacove, Apr 25, 2003.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi there,

I'm looking for a great classic vintage-sounding P bass, so I wondered if anyone have ever compared the Lakland Bob Glaub signature with the Sadowsky ultra-vintage p? Can Roger's p-basses hold up the quality of his J-basses? (I'm a proud owner of an awesome Sadowsky vintage J-bass myself, and have another sadowsky j-bass on order), or do you think I'll be off searching the vintage market??? I personally think Rogers j-basses are better than any vintage bass I've played - keep groovin':)

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I haven't seen the Sadowsky yet, except on his website. But, I've played both the US Bob Glaub and the Skyline version. The Skyline was one of the best P basses I've ever come across. The US version was even better.

If I was in the market, I'd consider the US model without consideration of the Sadowsky...it was that good!:D

3. I've got to strongly disagree. I'm not saying which is better but....

I think you'd be foolish if you didn't try the Sadowsky. I have a Sadowsky PJ (alder body & Brazil RW board) and when I solo the 'P' pick up it is truly outstanding. If you want gorgeous big prodigious defined P bass tone do check it out..

I do know Sadowsky jazz basses are the finest I have played and I tried a lot of stuff.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

I have a Sadowsky pj4. It has a great big round P tone if I solo the P pickup. I had a Lakland 4 string but it was the pretty one with the quilt top, not a Glaub. The Lakland's I have owned or played are very well made. I'd say you can't go wrong either way but I always lean toward Sadowsky basses and preamps

Rob

5. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I've owned laklands before, but not a Glaub. I just don't get the lakland vibe really. I'd probably consider the Sadowsky first, just because the resale would still be good if things went wrong. Oh yeah, and Roger has that 7 day return thingie going on. Lakland you'd probably get 48 hours at best (through BC).

6. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    On April 10, 2003 (a day that will live in infamy) I took delivery of my second Sadowsky 4-string ... a Vintage P-J with the passive tone control option.

The P-pickup adds major booty ... and when you bypass the preamp and roll the blend control to the front P-pickup, it's instant 70's greasy P-bass vibe.

I guess it's a question of sound and aesthetics and, to a lesser degree, your budget and resale value.

I recently demo-ed a Skyline Glaub and I thought the build quality was conditionally acceptable. I think Roger's Tokyo line is built to much better standards than the Skylines. I would probably buy a Skyline Glaub before I'd buy a MIM P-bass, and if I could afford a US Glaub, I'd probably stretch the extra $$$ and get the Sadowsky.

You really should consider the P-J format in the Sadowsky. The passive tone control works with the preamp engaged or bypassed, and the additional versatility of the J pickup makes this the ideal recording bass, IMO. Sadowskys go to tape really well, and if you need to sell, your hit will be minimal.

I do agree there's nothing like a really old, well-cared-for vintage Fender, but I view those instruments as museum pieces and investments ... I'd be too afraid of taking one out on the road for fear of theft and "battle damage."

The Sadowsky P-sound really delivers that vibe in a totally modern, reliable package! :D

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I think kcdbass hits in right on the head!! I own a Sad. PJ4 and I'm able to go from jazz bass growl to fat p bass tone in a snap. It's also beautiful(lake placid blue), light, and the fretwork is perfect:)

Rob

8. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Thanks for the response, guys!

From what you're saying It seems that Roger's P holds up the quality of his J-bass...WOOOW, well I guess that's a no-brainer then ;)

9. Glad to see you are open minded about this.

I know shipping to Denmark may not be cheap but Roger does off the 7 day trial period on his basses.

10. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Yeah I know, I bet Roger could make a 10 year trial period and still wouldn't see 99% of his basses...:)

11. I notice that you are from Denmark. Have you thought of checking out a Celinder? I've heard that they are extremely nice handbuilt instruments comparaqble to a Lakland or Sadowsky. They also supposedly do a really nice P. I'd check them out since they're sort of local.

12. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I've tried a couple of Celinders (including vintage series), they are really really nice basses and have a great service from what I know, but they just didn't do it for me...that was actually one of the reasons why I settled for a Sadowsky in the first place, anyway thanks for the thought!;)