Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Bob Glaub

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MascisMan, Apr 20, 2004.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Who here has them and who loves them? How do they compare to the Fender 57/62 RI's?

Are you playing a Skyline or a USA?

2. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I have a Skyline Glaub.

I can't speak to the 57/62 reissues, but in my opinion, compared to new MIA Fenders, the Skyline has a better feeling of quality overall. The differences are subtle and subjective, but noticeable. The neck has a slightly different feel to it, and I prefer the Lakland (subjective of course, YMMV). You will find consistently better fretwork on the Lakland. Fenders seem to be hit or miss. You're also getting the same electronics used in USA Laklands, which suggests to me they are in no way a compromise.

I would say that anyone considering any MIA Fender products owes it to themselves to at least try the comparable Lakland Skyline model.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I've owned both the 62 and 57 fender.
    The skyline Glaub is as good as the fender.
    With better pickups, and string thru bridge.

The USA Glaub is better than any fender P-bass being made
    now.
    Better quality woods.
    Better pickups
    better fret-job.
    Plays and sounds better the new fenders.
    The closest the to and old fender.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I played a couple, and there was this one Skyline in this rootbeer brown color that about made me break out the credit card. Oh, man, it was sweet beyond all rational belief.

Mmm...

(One of the only 4 strings I want)

5. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Yeah I have read similar things about the Skyline's great quality. I need to find a local Skyline dealer..

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    IMO, the Skylines are as good as they get, and totally consistent. The USA versions are even better.:D

I'd buy one TODAY if I didn't just buy a new rig.;)

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well USA Laklands cost easily twice what USA Fenders cost, so I would hope they are better. :meh:

8. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City

I bought my Skyline from Bass Central sight unseen, no regrets.

They do offer a 48-hour return policy, but you probably won't send it back.

9. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City

But, they are priced right at (or even less than) what vintage Fenders go for, which I think is their target market for the USA Osborn and Glaub models.

You won't get a "real pre-CBS Fender," but you'll have a player that consistenly delivers everything that makes those pre-CBS basses great, with none of the potential issues surrounding a used 40 year-old bass.

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I agree with that, but most just compare them to new Fenders, which of course cannot compete without drastically raising prices.

On topic, I saw the Edgar Winter Group a few weeks ago and the bassist, Mark Meadows, played a USA JO and he sounded great, was a very talented and a nice guy to boot.

11. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Any other Glaub experiences?

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I posted a while back that I tried a Duck Dunn Skyline in music store that I was visiting for five strings. Although i plan on picking up a five, that Duck Dunn sounded so sweet that I really, I mean really, tempted! :D

13. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    how come the Duck Dunn model isnt listed on their site? Is it discontinued now? What are the differences between the Glaub and the Dunn?

14. I've owned a USA Glaub and a Skyline Glaub. Both basses had jazz necks (1.5" nut) with rosewood fretboards, and the USA had a jazz pickup in the bridge position (best jazz pickup bridge sound I've experienced). The flat fingerboard radius and tiny frets give Lakland basses a distinctive feel that doesn't work for me. If it did I'd probably still own a Glaub. The USA balanced perfectly on a strap, and it was gorgeous. I did prefer the satin finish of the Skyline neck to the oil finish on the USA, however. AFAIK Skyline Glaubs are only offered with ash bodies, which may be something to consider.

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think the Duck Dunn is a very new model. I've never seen a Bob Glaub in person but I think the biggest difference is that the Duck Dunn has brass pickguard.