Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Bridge Options

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Jan 27, 2005.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I recently acquired a beautiful 55-02 Deluxe that is fast becoming my favorite bass.
    I would have given Lakland basses a shot years ago, except I change strings embarrasingly often and can't stand pull-through (i.e. non-quick release) bridges. A very outdated design.

I was looking at a Hipshot "A" bridge when I remembered I had put a Carvin bridge (also made by Hipshot) on another bass to great effect. Since they offer this bridge in a "Wide 5" (3/4" / 19mm spacing usually used on their BB75 basses) it was a perfect fit.

This bridge was nearly painless to install as the 2 screw slots on the Carvin bridge match up perfectly with the 2 outside (of the 4) screw holes of the Lakland bridge. I did, however, have to slightly enlarge those 2 holes since the Carvin screws are heavier duty than the Laklands and must be used with their bridge (due to head design). This can be reversed with a couple of peices of toothpick in those holes if I ever decide to remount the Lakland bridge.

The one disadvantage is: even though the Carvin/Hipshot bridge also has the string-through option, the holes don't line up on the Lakland body as Lakland mounts their holes at an angle pattern and the Carvin's are straight across, however, if you want quick-release (as I did) this is not going to be a concern.
    Another option that I may explore later is Hipshot/Peavey's new "Triple Lock Down" individual bridge saddles: http://www.hipshotproducts.com/triple%20lock.htm . These, being quick-release, also have attached ferrules for through-body stringing, however, Art Porter at Hipshot has informed me that the current design's ferrules are not long enough for the depth of the Lakland body, but that they will have longer ones available in about a month. The disadvantage of these is the original Lakland holes will be visible in the body.

Now, the results:
    To my surprise, this has been an improvement all around. Although I didn't expect any degradation in performance (I feel through-body stringing is highly overrated), I certainly didn't expect the changes.
    First (and after doing thousands of setups, I know this makes no sense), I'm actually getting slightly better action without buzz with this bridge. :eyebrow:
    Second (possibly due to a difference in mass or material), even with the same set of strings that were formerly mounted through the body on the Lakland bridge, the sustain and tone are improved. :hyper: Very comparible to the sustain of a quality neck-through bass.

One more advantage to the Carvin/Hipshot: It's about half the price (from Carvin) as the Hipshot "A" bridge. :D

Attached Files:

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Way to go. I have been looking for an option for that fo awhile. There are no bridge mounting marks on the body for the Lakland bridge?

3. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    None at all. I thought there might end up being an oval mark from the Lakland bridge base but there wasn't. The 2 unused screw holes are obviously covered so it looks totally natural.

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    sweet. I'm ordering mine today. which one do I get?

5. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Go to the Carvin site and go to Bass Parts & Kits.
    All the Carvin bridges are Black, but you have the option of Black, Chrome, or Gold saddles. The Chrome are default so you have to specify if you want Black or Gold.

Make sure you order the Wide 5 if you are ordering for a Lakland 5. If you are ordering for a Lakland 4 I'm sure their 4 string bridge is fine.

Good Luck. Post pix.:cool:

PS. Don't forget to check out the link for the Hipshot/Peavey Triple Locks just in case that turns out to be a better option for you.