Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Customer Service = Great!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AlexL, Sep 6, 2005.

1. AlexL

AlexL

Jul 20, 2004
    Minnesota
    Well, like an idiot, I plugged a new battery into my 55-01 backwards, and smoked the preamp. I brought it to my local bass tech, who could not find the MK-1 preamp as a standard Bartolini part, so he called Lakland.

Turns out I am not the only person who has burned up his preamp in this manner (didn't think I was...), and Lakland is sending him a new preamp circuit for free.

Hopefully nothing else was damaged, we'll see when the part comes in. I just wanted to share this story.

- E.

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    How exactly did you do this? I don't understand the problem here... seems like an active preamp shouldn't have any problem accepting a new battery, since that's how they work.

I'm particularly interested because I just bought a 55-01 this past weekend, and I'd like to know how likely I am to bake the electronics.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My question is, how in the heck do you install a 9 volt battery backwards????? It ain't rocket science, and seems to me you'd really have to struggle to get the two males to click together, as well as the two females to click together . . . . pun NOT intended, so I won't insert the obligatory joke here. ;)

4. AlexL

AlexL

Jul 20, 2004
    Minnesota
    I put the battery in backwards, and they actually make it very easy to do.

It has a Fishman battery receptacle, the kind where the battery just drops into the compartment. There isn't one of those little connector dealies that you clip onto the battery; it just makes contact when you slide it into place.

Hey, it wasn't my greatest moment. Just thought I'd spread a little customer service story.

- E.

5. Jules Forcella

Jules Forcella

Aug 28, 2005
    Frankfurt a.M. / Deutschland
    Endorsing Artist: AccuGroove
    I made the expirience with Lakland's Customer Service :

IT SUCKED from front to back :scowl: - I needed a new Volume Pot and a Pickguard for my old 55-94 deluxe and I never got anything - and finially I sold the bass.......

Jules

6. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    55-94 Deluxes generally don't have pickguards.

Nevertheless, what did you do to contact Lakland regarding the matter?

7. Jules Forcella

Jules Forcella

Aug 28, 2005
    Frankfurt a.M. / Deutschland
    Endorsing Artist: AccuGroove
    @djcruse

I contacted Lakland for a custom made Pickguard made out of plexiglass to reduce the "string-body-distance" - Dan told me that they're going to built me one and send it to me very soon......... never arrived - no answers of my mails again......... and the new Volume Pot also never arrived........

It's nearly as good as the Smith Customer Service - I'm waiting for some screws and hardware parts for one year again.........I think I can also forget about that.... :scowl:

Smith's service got a VERY bad reputation here in Germany

Ok - maybe the service of the companies is so bad because we're living in "old-Europe" :p :cool:

Greets, jules

8. Well that's not a stock part, a pretty arcane custom deal as I read it....maybe not handled as well as " have a local luthier make one up for you, its cheaper!" But.......

SO I buy this Lakland off the site here ( GREAT SITE btw!!!), and while I love holding this thing ( best 5 neck I've played yet) and playing it, only ACOUSTICALLY since the thing buzzes like crazy.. :help:

Now I couldnt even find one locally, much less find someone to fix it... so I catch Carl in Chicago early on Monday am . Now I know about customer service calls early on Monday's , but he takes the call right after walking in the door, friendly and as chipper as can be, just to hear this noobie bassist who is in love with a howler BEGGING him to breathe on it for me.... :crying:

By rights I suppose it shouldn't be a warranty repair, and it might turn out to be some stupid newbie thing I did?? ( glad I'm not alone in that regard guys!) but in any case, the fact that the Chief Service guy took my phone call in a pleasant manner, and was willing to do whatever it takes to get this new flame of mine back in a hummer-less condition. Too cool man. :)

When I hung that phone up from talking to Carl, I was ELATED that I bought a Lakland. And that big box was on its way to Chicago a scant few hours later. :hyper:

AS far as I'm concerned, that's all part of trying to be the #1 GO-TO bass company. Their "fitment" is top notch and I cant wait to try a Chicago neck, the Sky's is wonderful! :bassist: I hadn't had a chance to put the new DR Sunbeams on yet ( so far my old Peavey T40 is still one of the most punchy-arse rigs I've ever heard), but the 55-01 sounds great even with old strings...

And then there's service. Effing Carl is priceless! ( until I get his bill! :p )

Also can't wait to be able to swing the dough for one of the beauties the 'boys in Chicago' built from scratch.
    (That's what I get for being a BEARS fan for the last 35 years)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :bag:

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have heard alot of great things regarding Lakland Customer servie, all the best guys.

10. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Thanks for posting this; you did me (and others) a big favor. I didn't know the potential for damage was so high for such a simple mistake. Could have been me; it would be very easy to do.

I'll be CERTAIN to get the polarity correct whenever I swap batteries in my 44-01.

11. Yes , hard to see the "+" inside the cavity. I had to walk the bass over to a light. But could it have been done before me? Its the first "quick connect" one I've seen. Fishman.

12. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm surprised they left out the $0.05 diode in the preamp that would have prevented this in the first place...

13. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I thought about that too.....

But to be clear..... I think Lakland just puts these basses together with available electronics..... Bart pups, a Bart pre, a Fishman battery compartment, et al.....

It's not "Lakland designed" electronics....

14. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Thats funny how you were the first with this probblem. I can only imagen what he said.

"What? He fried what? With a battery? what?"

Serously tho hope for the best.