Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Customer Service is KING!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scotius2001, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Just thought I'd share. I contacted Dan Lakin a few weeks back to inquire into the typical weight range of the Skyline 55-02. Mine was on the heavy side and hurting me on long gigs (yeah, I'm old). I was looking to possibly sell is and buy a new one if I knew I could find one on the lighter side. Instead of replying with the info I was expecting, Dan offered to swap my body for a brand new lighter body for the cost of the labor! I now have a brand spanking new body and at least 1 less pound of wood. They also did a full setup and even included a fresh set of strings and believe me, the price was right. The bass has never played better and I'm a happy camper. In my book, there are few bass manufacturers that take care of their customers as well as Lakland. Just spreading the word.

2. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    I've only heard great things about Dan Lakin. Certainly is reassuring to a potential Lakland customer. (me) ;)

Regards

Mike

3. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    yeah, Dan is a cool guy. And I haven't had any problems with my Lakies and I wouldn't imagine I would. Lakland already has the word spreading.

4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Lakland is TOO cool, I not only LOVE the basses, but They do have AMAZING customer service.

Las, Buy a Lakland and DONT LOOK BACK.

5. What a stand up guy Dan is, this is great! Thank you for sharing this with us!!

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I've dealt with Dan quite a few times and even visited the shop... His customer service is excellent...

7. An even more amazing example of Lakland customer service than Scrotius2001's experience is when Lakland replaced a body for free because the natural finish Skyline didn't have particularly attractive wood grain.

The owner hadn't even purchased it new.

Plus, the owner didn't ask Lakland for a new body...Lakland approached the owner after being alerted to the picture of the bass that was posted on a website!

8. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I think I'll post a pic of my re-routed, refinished, 14 pound Tex Mex P bass and see if Lakland offers me one of their BG P's in exchange.:D

9. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
  10. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Several years ago, I had a Lakland that unfortunately had a neck from a bad batch of wood. The birdseye was beautiful to look at, but for some reason, it wouldn't hold a set up. After a day or two, the neck would move more than a typical wooden neck would.
    When I talked with Dan, he had absolutely no problem taking the bass back, testing it out, and giving me a brand new neck.

I may be the only person around to get a bad Lakland neck, and hey, those things happen. But Dan was a joy to deal with and put making the customer happy and making things right first.

It's great that even though their business is doing very well, that the bosses (Roger Sadowsky, Greg Curbow, Bernie Goodfellow, Rob Green, etc.)still care so much about personal customer service.

11. :cool:

12. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Hey Mr. Goody Good,

Sounds something like my story........

I Purchased a used Lakland Darryl Jones bass that had a 3 piece mismatched ash body ( I mean it was pretty bad, the ash wasn't even the same color!) and had contacted Dan to see if he could help me out in someway, and he offered to swap it out to a new 2 piece nicley matched ash body at NO charge! Well.... all I have to say is that I got the bass back on thursday( with new Lakland strings), and it looks great.

I will post some before and after pics of the bass soon.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Refer back to this thread when the age-old question, "Are Laklands worth what they cost?" pops up.

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Amen- Laklands in themselves are amongst the very best and gig friendly basses to be found- beautiful tight and full tone, it gets the job done NICELY!!
    I have visited the factory and Dan even sat in with band i was playing in in Ft Lauderdale ( you reading, Dan? )
    he is a great guy and one of the most customer satisfaction oriented people i have ever met- way above and beyond the call of duty.
    I recently heard a bassist playing a lakland on a gig and was reminded , after the daily and constant flow of boutique basses i see and play, of how great and punchy they sound.
    Too bad i can't deal with a 35 in scale anymore... besides my F bass, i have gotten more compliments on the sound of the Lak i used to play- BIG thumbs up!

15. Lucky Me, I only live a little over an hour away from the Lakland shop. I've been visting there for over 7 years now. Every experience with Lakland has been perfect. Dan, Carl, and John are among the best folks on the Planet. Top notch all the way. They have a great crew that really love what they do and it shows. I was never happier with any instrument that I've owned than my Olympic White Joe Osborn. I've enjoyed playing all six Laklands that I've owned and Dan and Carl have helped me to reach Nirvana everytime. They really know me (and my eccentric needs) very well and treat me like an old friend everytime I visit, for what ever. Carl made me a Jazz Bass with a soul. I absolutley love that white bass. :D

16. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Dan's a very nice guy. He responded to my emails promptly and he was very helpful. He even sent me a nice Lakland catalogue upon request. :D

17. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    wow this is great service....the next bass i buy is going to be for sure a lakland....ive made up my mind....lol yeah right:rolleyes:

steve