1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Lakland Darryl Jones 5 with orig + John East Electronics

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by cvtonyd, Feb 19, 2018.

1. cvtonyd

cvtonyd Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Price:
    $1200
    Strings:
    This is a beautiful Pearl white Lakland Darryl Jones Skyline 5-string. It is currently fitted with a John East J-Retro 3-band preamp with active/passive selector, but i will also include the original passive control stack (see pics). It also includes a Gator hard case, the lighter style covered in nylon/canvas-type material with faux velvet lined interior.

The bass is in excellent condition functionally and cosmetically, no marks that i can find, beautiful pearl finish. Neck is straight, low action. I was looking for a recording bass that had the Jazz bass sound but with a better neck than a Fender, and this was perfect--records great, and is a dream to play.

Wish i could keep it, but recently decided i have enough to learn on 4 string, and intend to buy another 4.

Price is $1200/OBO CONUS

Attached Files:

BigRedBassPlayer likes this.
  2. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

Tough question but what would you say the East electronics do to the sound? Is it a hopped up jazz sound? Sorry if I’m not wording this right.

3. cvtonyd

cvtonyd Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Im not an expert, but to my ears the preamp does what youd expect, adds more gain and any eq you choose to add or subtract. East designed this to add more control while not altering the Jazz bass sound, and the popularity of this pre would indicate he succeeded. You can also run it in passive mode. My experience recording it was great, it delivered a classic Jazz tone.

But if you prefer a pure passive tone i'll consider selling w/o the East pre, just dont want to separate them just yet as i just posted this.

Thx

4. DerekG

DerekG Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    No relation to the seller but commenting on the J-Retro. I have a Skyline 55-60 (JO5) and recently put a J-Retro in it. Man, is it killer! Yes, a "hopped up jazz sound" for sure but oh so much more versatile. And, you can flip one switch and it's completely passive.

5. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    +1 for the DJ/J-Retro combo.

6. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Is it made in Korea or Indonesia?

7. Richard Cortes