1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Darryl Jones or Fender Macus Miller Jazz bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trjazzluva05, May 4, 2010.

1. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Jul 14, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey everybody...I'm in the process of leaving the 5-string world and playing strictly four-strings for now. I was wondering what you guys think of these two basses. I have played the MM Jazz bass and I love the sound, but read a few reviews of the electronics being noisy. I've never played the DJ, but I have a 55-01 bass and have dealt with Lakland's customer service which is great. The DJ is passive, but I have an Aguilar Tone Hammer if I need more tone shaping. Which one would you guys recommend???

2. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    I think I would prefer the DJ for that extra fret, but I personally love the MM for its crunchier tone and its simply heavenly slap tone. I'm a strictly active electronics guy, so that bias definitely comes into play.

3. bassCanadabass

bassCanadabass Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2009
    The marcus is pretty great (though overpriced). However, the pre amp isn't the best. If you have a tone hammer, I would lean towards the DJ.

4. mas502arc

mas502arc

May 14, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    I'd get a DJ with the J-retro preamp (or any other one)

It's a bit lighter & smaller than a MM (if you like that). And the slap sound is as good as any MM.

How did you like the neck on the 55-01? Or any other Lakland? The MM has a glossy neck, which you might not like.

5. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    DJ, probably.

6. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    DJ. And get a preamp pedal. The pups are much more open sounding.

7. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Jul 14, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yea I have an Aguilar Tone Hammer Preamp that I would use with the DJ. I love the neck on the 55-01...thick which make it good for slapping. They're also easier to get low action with.

8. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Jul 14, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey man, why do ya think the Preamp on the MM isn't great??? I mean still have the stock preamp I'm my 55-01 and its ok with me. I never use a lot of the bass preamp. I go to the my amp for that.

9. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a DJ5 that I traded my Marcus Miller for. The Marcus Miller is a great bass!! I changed the pickups and preamp in mine. The marcus preamp could get a little noisy and I didn't feel it was as clean as others. I ended up with an aguilar obp1 in it and was very pleased.

I like the DJ5 for what I was looking for... a passive bass. If you want active, get the marcus, if you want passive get the DJ5. Workmanship on both are good to great

10. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    I've had both 4's and still have a couple MM's. There was something about the feel of the DJ I couldn't get into. The pre in the MM does a great job of the Marcus thumb, not the best passive tone. I grabbed one w/Nordies and no pre and it's a great passive bass. Play both and see what feels the best, you'll be able to get a great sound out of either one.

11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I made this choice close to three years ago. For me, it was the DJ, no contest. It felt better, looked better, it was lighter, and I liked the sound better. (Caveat: I'm not crazy about active basses.) And since that time, the price of the DJ has remained the same, while the MM has gone up $200-$300 in price. (Their prices are now about even.) YMMV and all that...

12. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    For a 4, I'd get the dj4.

13. DJ.

Then again I'm biased towards passive Jazz basses.

Plus, might be extra value owning a DJ since they no longer make the DJ model.

14. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    NO question about it, Lakland DJ all the way.

15. mailboxmoney

mailboxmoney

Jun 29, 2006
    I have a DJ4 and a MM - the DJ: lighter, neck has satin finish, kind of skinny/smallish neck (which I like, feels like some old jazzes I've played), passive electronics sounded great but I added an Audere and it really pumps it up. The MM: heavier, very nice gloss neck, solid feel, I switched out the electronics for Sadowsky and that sounds great. I'd lean toward the DJ if I had to choose. I like having the option of standard passive electronics with the DJ.

16. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    Did the same thing. I wanted a five string, and I never really liked that big slab of plastic covering most of the surface of the MM.

I had a Marcus J-Retro on my MM sig, which made it a lot quieter and, when set flat, nailed the Marcus tone even better than the stock preamp. Never had to use that sweepable mid knob. I have a regular J-Retro factory installed in my DJ5. Now I actually have to filter out a particular band of mids to get a good slap sound. Not quite Marcus, but close, and I kind of like the fact that it is a bit different.

Although I play active most of the time, I do find the passive sound of the DJ5 very useful, and much better than the MM Sig played passive.

17. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    I recently wen't to a music store to try out some other gear and had my miller bass (which at the the time still didn't even have the retro pre and nordy pickups, I had only done a wee bit of tinkering with the stock pre) with me and saw two darryl jones skylines on the wall. I was thinking uh-oh, I might get GAS. But after some vigorous a/b'ing I left happy and gas free. Ok, my miller bass is a result of over a year of shopping around for the best miller I could find, but still in comparison the DJ's sounded hollow, small, a lot less punchy and even more mid shy. Some of it could've been cured with setup and proper strings, but in general I was really surprised not to have them compare to the miller. Even the store people and the a guitar playing friend had a similar opinion..

But I have no doubt in my mind that the DJ is a brilliant instrument and you should definately try both out before making a decision.

18. I use a Lakeland Duck Dunn and a Fender Marcus Miller and they're both great basses. I don't have any problems with the stock MM electronics, and it works fine in active or passive. Sounds like your in a win-win situation whichever you chose.

19. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I was under the impression Lakland isn't making the DJ any more...is this one in the store currently?