Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Darryl Jones Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adam on bass, Jun 24, 2004.

1. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Who owns or played one? I really think they look great, I have no way of testing one out and I REALLY want one. Give me your negative and positive.

2. Blue

Blue Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    I have one - really like it - and get a lot of complements on it (sound wise). Great hardware, decent construction and attention to detail, fine customer service (I had one issue, which Dan bent over backwards to cure). Very much a well executed J bass.

I got it at a guitar show - traded a pretty good condition 1960 ish 135 for it - so it was an even trade. While mine was not the best bass there - it was by far the best 4-string in that price range, and I tried several other D' J's and several dozen others.

My only regret is - I'm now on a buy America kick, and would not do it again. For $1600, there was another - made by a small semi-local guy who's name escapes me now - but it was clearly the better bass - but he would not trade $1600 for $1000 + $600 cash.

3. I got a Darryl Jones about two weeks ago. I must say, it is quite nice. I did a set up on mine as soon as I got it home, but I happen to like extremely low action. Now it plays great, and of course it is gorgeous. Mine is white with a maple fretboard. I'm hoping to get a tortoiseshell pickguard, though, because right now it's a bit too white. Since you have never tried one, I should probably caution you on the sound, though. Mine is the brightest bass I have ever played. And I like that. But a lot of people don't like too much brightness. So consider yourself warned. Now, I've never tried a DJ with a rosewood board, so they might be a bit tamer. That would be my guess. In any event, I would definitely recommend this bass to anyone who doesn't mind a little brightness.

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Which pickups do you have in yours? Are they the Aero pickups? You can also get the bass with Lindy Fralin pickups which I suggest over the Aero's. The Fralin's will give you a deeper, growlier tone.

5. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Put in Carey Nordstrand's hum-cancelling J pickups. I ripped the Aeros out the minute I got the bass. The Aeros are very snarly. If you're not into that, change 'em out! It will definitely change the tone...(IMO, improve...I know tone is subjective, but I was at Larry's shop about 3 times a week listening, testing in my basses, and giving him the final feedback when he was starting to develop those pickups. The original name of the Type 1 Aeros was MP-181....I am the MP. So, I do have a bit of an educated slant on the subject)

6. Blue

Blue Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    I'm unclear - did you help develop the aeros?

7. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Let me clarify...
    Did I help "develop" them? From a technical how-to-build-it perspective, no. I can barely operate a screwdriver! But when he was starting to develop the pickups, his first couple of prototypes were very low output, almost like a pickup that was 50 years old and lost nearly all of its magnetic strength. I wasn't digging it. I am a very strong fingerstyle player technically, and he asked me what kind of pickup I would want to play, so I clued him in to what I thought bass players really were after in a j pickup....a very hot bridge pickup, and a slightly less hot neck. The first ones were really good, and I used them for quite awhile. We developed quite a friendship during the time I was always hanging out at Larry's while he was working on pickups, etc.
    A buddy of mine clued me into the pickup shootout in advance that BP was doing, and I encouraged him to submit them. They got a great rating, and lots of exposure; no one really had even heard of Aero, other than the pickups he was making for Scott Lentz (which, BTW, are excellent pickups).
    I introduced him to the guys at Fodera that I knew at NAMM, got him in touch with Albey Balgochian (built A Basses, co-designed the Lakland DJ, which through Albey's relationship with Darryl Jones is how he got his foot in the door with Lakland), hipped Matt Pulcinella to him, etc.
    After that period of time, we had a bit of a personal falling-out. No big deal; it's just that I had access to the pickups at dealer cost for a long time, then one day, his desire to have me pay him full retail for pickups was expressed. I simply decided to end our relationship.
    So, that's why they were called MP-181s for a long time. Why they are now called Type 1s is his business.
    Am I bitter? Not at all. This post is not a flame, these are simply the facts, and they are 100% indisputable. People are people, and it's his business. I wish him all of the success in the world, and hope he makes a healthy living off of the industry. But, FWIW, I find that the Nordstrand pickup is a much better fit for me, and I enjoy Carey's friendship immensely. He's a great guy, makes great basses and pickups, and has a beautiful family I am proud to support financially.

8. I tried one @ bass central and really liked it, I would like try it with a drummer to see how it cuts through...

:bassist:

9. tonytdodd

tonytdodd

Jun 19, 2006
    I have just got one; white with rosewoodf/b.
    I am very impressed - I got it off the internet and it was set up almost perfectly. and NO DEAD SPOTS (I've been trying to find a decent jazz bass (american series) unsuccessfully for ages. I stuck TI flats on immediately and it sounds great, with lots of vatiation available from the passive controls.
    I imagine those who use roundwounds would find it a tad bright.

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Love the DJ4, questionable about the DJ5. Don't like the neck on the DJ5. I bit round for my taste. Great sounding instruments. I've only played the Aero equipped models and they both sound great with a band

11. si_fi

si_fi

May 4, 2005
    London, England
    I recently had a bit of a hunt around looking for a 5string jazz style bass- with this and a sadowsky RV5 (only a £150 price diference in the uk so nar enough in the same price range).
    from a few days of playing a good few DJ5's all over and around london i found that the DJ5 is a great instrument with a great growly tone with a lot of depth and bite to it, put together amazingly (it blows my mind to think that this is korean made-there goes the cheapy korean made stereotype out the window) with great playability and a comfortable body shape and nice neck.
    however, i did find they all varied hugely in weight and sound- in total i played about 6: 2 maple, 4 rosewood. i was able to directly compare 3 (2 r/wodd, 1 maple) at the bass centre, and was amazed at the differences between them. they all sounded great but the had some chracteristic differences- one r/wood was huuuge and deep with a nice mellow growl (though it had a lot of snap when slapped), the other was very bright without as much bottom and was a lot more agressive, the maple sat nicely in between the two.
    in conclusion: great basses that all sound great, but from my experience they can vary quite a bit and so i would try before i buy and find the one that speaks to me-i emphasize that i would have been happy with any of them; they were all great. just my $0.02.
    sorry for the long post (it's all i seem to be able to produce)
    (i ended up with an RV5 in the end- post/photos coming shortly)

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i love my dj5...its sparkle black with a rosewood board and j-retro and aeros...it sounds great, feels really comfortable, though is a little on the heavy side...i think the j-retro adds a little something to the sound that i like a lot...i think it's a really good take, but not a rehash of the jazz bass...i love the downsized body and the neck profile...i've got a feeler on it with my lefay over in the for sale section, but i hope i don't have to part with it...if i do, i may get another later on...probably the same model or a 4 with a maple board...these are really sweet basses, man

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    had one. Really nice, burpy tone. I liked it a lot, but I have a bass trading and selling sickness.

14. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Damn this thread is old, that was an old thought I had.

15. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    That's okay! Thanks to your "old thread", you saved me the troubleof starting this thread myself! I just took a DJ 4 around the track Saturday, and absolutly LOVED IT! It was used, so I don't know the type of pu's that were installed, but that thing flat out rocked!

Ooh! Sorry, sharp GAS pain!

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    didn't even pay attention to the date on there...

who dug this up! :D tony!

it's cool...

17. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I played one a couple weeks ago. Sounded and felt really good, but I have played so many since then that I don't remember the specifics.

18. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    But Lakland IS an American company! Would you not buy an American car if you found out it was built in another country?

19. wujuu

wujuu

May 28, 2006
    UT
    sorry to revive this :meh:

i'm wondering what the neck profile is like on the DJ5? I've read that it's rather chunky at the nut, but that doesn't really do me much good.
    Anyone have experience with it that would be able to compare it to the neck of..say..a Fender Jazz 5, Spector 5, or a Stingray 5?

Appreciated.

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, i would say the thickness front to back would comparable to, say, a euro spector 5, but the dj5 is a lot wider...still comfortable, but not as comfortable as a us spector, which has a much thinner neck profile