1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Darryl Jones vs. Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass 18volt

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lavaman67, Dec 6, 2006.

1. lavaman67

lavaman67 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I have done quite a bit of (reading) research on both, but have yet to find a Lakland Darryl Jones to play and though I have played and liked the Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass 18Volt, I have still never had them both in the same room. Does anyone have any experience with an A/B comparison? I am looking at both as a J alternative to my 2002 American Deluxe Precision Bass also the 18Volt era. Please make comparisons only to the Fender 18 Volt models. I think Fender made the upgrades early 2002?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

PM sent ...:D

3. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    ummmm, completely different..... If the 18 volt is your thing, get the Fender. The DJ is passive. I've played both, and I like the Dj because the 18 volt fender didn't produce a "natural enough" tone for me. It kind of reminded me of a spector type of boost. Just my opinion though. I like Sadowsky, aguilar and bart pres. J-retro and Audere are cool too.

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Lakland DJ with a Sadowsky outboard pre.

5. lavaman67

lavaman67 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I undestand that the two are different in the respect that the Fender has a pre, but I have read the Lakland has quite a bit of output and it seems like most are putting some type of a pre in front of it. J-Retro, Aguilar etc.

6. The 18 volt circuit in my USA Jazz Deluxe has proved to be too hot for quite a few amps and effects. I'm currently looking to go away from it and get a DJ with an East or Sadowsky pre-amp installed. The Jazz Deluxe is a fabulous instrument but I'm sick of frying stuff that can't take the extra headroom that it provides.

If I don't get rid of it one day I'm going to blow someone's pride and joy with it and that will be sickening.

The Aero pups in the DJ are very special and sound really "authentic" when put through a Sadowsky outboard the instrument really comes to life. Outboards are OK but for convenience I'm going for inboard.

Ciao for now

Sean.

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. That's what I'd get. I had a DJ5 and loved it, but the J-retro wasn't my thing, really.

The Audere is nice, tho . . .

8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    As I've logged in other threads. I've a/b'd an 05 Fender
    am dlx jazz V, Sadowsky Metro 5, Darrl Jones 5 and a
    Joe Osborne 5 with a j-retro, in the same place and time.
    Without going into too much detail, the thing that struck
    me was that the Fender could pretty much do what all
    the other basses did, but THEY couldn't sound like the
    Fender. I was surprised at how well the Fender did the
    Sadowsky thing. With everything flat, the Fender (maple
    board) was very close to the DJ5. The JO5 w/retro had
    a little more tone variation than the others, but still couldn't
    get that "Fender" thing. Maybe it was the j-retro. The JO5
    came in second.
    All four basses were great, the Fender just did it for me.