1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lakland darryl jones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptoon, Dec 5, 2006.

1. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    well, i decided that i wanted a jazz style bass and saw the dj5 they had at bass northwest with the j-retro and said to myself that i had to have it...i just got off the phone with chad and they'll be shipping it tomorrow...of course there will be updates...from what i've read, i won't be disappointed...here's the bass:

2. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Man, you're gonna love it. I have a stock DJ5 with the passive Aero pickups, but play it through an outboard Sadowsky preamp. This bass has some killer lows and punchy mids in spades. The build quality is really top notch.

3. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    yeah, you'll love it.

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    you will be disappointed. Just send it to me when you get it and save yourself the heartache :)

JK...those are ridiculous nice basses, especially for the money. Sweet looking too. If you like a ballsy Jbass tone (it can be tamed, but why would you want to do that?), you will be in heaven for a long time with that.

5. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    +1 on all threads

6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    hey, sweet...

7. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    What do they charge for the J-retro upgrade?

8. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    it's like a $600.00 upgrade from the regular price of a passive model, but with a small modification of the cavity, you can install your own for just over $200.00, which is what i believe they go for over here in the states...for more info on that go over to the dudepit...they're the u.s. distributor for east stuff

9. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    neptoon, I'm not sure about the DIY j-retro install. Isn't the control plate on the DJ a non-standard size? Wouldn't it require drilling new screw holes to fit a standard jazz plate with j-retro in a DJ?

10. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I believe you have to get a J-retro with a DJ control plate. The DJ control plate is different from a JO or standard jazz bass.

11. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    yeah, it's pretty different...the cavity is also not the proper size for a j-retro install, so some modifications have to be made...i'm not entirely sure of the complete process, but it's been discussed here before by some of those that have either attempted it or at least researched it

12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

When I ordered my DJ5, I went ahead and got it with the J-retro option. It was an extra $300, which is pretty much the street price for a J-retro, IIRC. $600 is list price, I think.

The DJ does have a curved plate, so if you want a J-retro, it's best to get it through the dudepit, since Steve can get it with the custom curved plate, I'm pretty sure.

13. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    True and true! John East makes a special J-Retro for DJ (same circuit and everything slightly different placement of components).

14. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    right on...well, it's getting shipped out today...can't wait to have it

15. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You will love that bass. I have a Skyline DJ4 w. Aeros but no J-retro that put my Stingray5 to the backup role. It's a great and very versatile bass. I can't even imagine how great it will sound with the preamp upgrade (i prefer passive basses anyways). But that NECK!!!! Wait till you feel it.

I hope you love it and that it arrives very soon.
    Enjoy.

16. I just got my DJ5 a couple days ago and I am loving it so far.

17. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    That's a great looking bass. One of the only colour schemes and models I like block inlays on.

18. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL

right on...i'm hoping it gets here soon, too...waiting sucks, even if it is for only a couple days

19. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    well, the brown truck arrived today, and i gotta say that i'm just freakin impressed with this thing...all of the components exude quality, given it's a foreign bass, but after plugging it in, i just can't niggle the little stuff...take a look at my profile and check out what basses have come my way and what i currently play...with that said, this bass does it all...i haven't yet found all of the sounds inside the j-retro, but with just a little bit of twiddlin' i was able to dial in some really fat tones, not muddy, and really tight, to a sizzly, freakin' evil slap tone...john east is god...all of the knobs are really tight, and it's just a rock solid unit...the small switches don't seem fragile like found on the front of some basses as coil taps or whatever...the finish is really cool with the black sparkle...one of the things that has always turned me off to jazz style basses is that they feel like enormous boat paddles...they shaved off the right amount of wood in the right places to come up with this variation of the offset waist jazz bass body...it just feels so comfortable! and it's just the right size...it's also pretty substantial in the way it feels - wide neck, wide string spacing, and it's heavy in the bottom lobe of the body, so there's absolutley no neck dive at all...it feels about as heavy as my old thumb basses - pribably about 10 pounds, but i haven't put it on my scale...i honestly feel like i could just have this bass and be satisfied; if i could have just one of my basses, this would be it...it's all there...if you guys haven't tried this bass out yet, you're losing out bigtime

20. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    I played that bass a few weeks ago when it came in. It's a killer bass; my only complaint was the weight.