1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Darryl Jones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grumpyjfc, Jul 24, 2007.

1. grumpyjfc

grumpyjfc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Mount Pleasant SC
    Who has a Lakland Darryl Jones 4 string that they would like to share an opinion on? I've been playing Fender 4 strings for years and I'm thinking about trying one but no one around here sells them. So if I want to try it I'll have to buy it and I'd like to get some feedback first. Tell me what you have and how/why you like/dislike it. Thanks.

2. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    weeeelllllll now.....I am sure you will get alot of feedback as there are several DJs (with and without J-retro) on TB.....mine has the Lakland Pickups (not the Chi-Sonics, but the "new/old" Lakland pickups) and the J-retro.....I will tell you that that combo is lethal! I can get a wide range of sounds out of it....

I was playing along with some older Chicago yesterday and it fit that perfectly (better than my Fender did)....also, it has a great slap sound (although I cannot slap well, but a friend of mine can - boy it sings then as well!)

It growls and can be mellow as well.....I have compared it to several Fender Jazz basses and I just love the solid sound and feel of the DJ better....

the con is that mine is slightly heavy (maybe 10.5 to 11 lbs?)....it is a Skyline and Skylines can be a little more variable in the weight department....I am sure a US DJ (and other Skylines) are much lighter.....

I am also VERY impressed with the Lakland quality and customer service........

Maybe GregC will chime in as well....he recently picked up a passive DJ (red beauty!!!).

A pic to whet your whistle!

100_8196.

PS - that is DJ's brother Bob (Glaub) to the Left and Amber Midwest to the right....I guess I am addicted to Laklands - that is a warning to you...one Lakland is NEVER enough!

3. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I had a passive Skyline DJ for a couple weeks. It was a great bass but not quite what I was looking for at the time. Very solid and comfortable. I liked the slightly undersized body for comfort and for the "not your father's jazz bass" look. Bonus points for the blocks, neck binding and matching headstock of course =).

Mine was a bit more resonant feeling than most Fenders I've tried. Like I said, solid. But without being too heavy. The weight was typical Fender Jazz-ish, or maybe a little on the light side. It had the Aero pickups and really could sing. Good vintage type tone with some bark to it.

I think if you would like a bit of a modern version of the classic jazz bass without going overboard, you'd like the DJ a lot.

I would probably still have the DJ, but my frankenjazz deluxe can get downright obnoxious, like a dirty joke that makes half of the people hearing it blush. To me, you just can't beat that ;)

4. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    I have had my DJ for just over a year. In that year it has become my go to bass over my old Fenders, Dingwall, Surine, Stingray and any other bass I have owned in the last year. The swamp ash body makes my DJ light at just under 9 lbs. The neck binding and profile makes it a joy to play and the Areo Pickups sound incredible, and this is a Skyline series. I had played other DJs but from the minute I picked this one up in the store to try I knew it was going home with me. I really couldn't be happier with this bass and I own over 20 basses.

In fact I was so impressed by the DJ I ordered a Glaub and again was blown away by how nice these basses are. At the pricepoint and IMHO I can only say take the plunge.

5. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Doug/basspraiser's right, I bought a used CAR Skyline DJ about 6 weeks ago. I wanted a J for some tonal variety (I'm primarily a P bass guy), so I tried at least a couple of each of the passive Fender J variants except for the AV RIs (a bit more than I was willing to spend)--MIA, Marcus, Geddy, Highway 1, '60s, and "regular" MIM. None had the combination of tone and playability of the DJ, for my money. (This one has Aeros, which I understand are a touch more aggressive-sounding than the Lakland pups Doug's DJ has.)

It's also a remarkably good looking bass--my 1st with blocks & binding, and Lakland's CAR is gorgeous (though discontinued for Skyline DJs). And this particular DJ is pretty light, 8.5 lbs at most. Bottom line, I couldn't be happier.

6. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    IME, DJ with Lakland single-coils is the best sounding passive J-type bass that I've ever put my hands on. Note that I am yet to try a Joe Osborn with Lakland pups - I tried it with Lindy Fralins and it was so-so.

7. I feel the same way with the DJ4 with the Aero's... just an amazing, aggressive 70's style J sound in a wonderfully high quality instrument for a a very good price.

8. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Simply and amazing bass with an amazing neck !!!!

Love mine a lot and cannot put her down since I got her last fall !!!!

Lakland DJ Bass is impressive and I like it way better than the Fender Jazz basses, mainly because of the neck playability. It is my personal taste.

9. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    No arguments there. I also liked DJ/Aero combo but Lakland pups sound a tad warmer and a tad (just a tad) tamed to my ears. Just my preference.

On a side note, reading back my post I realize I might have sounded unfair to JoBo/Fralins. I understand and appreciate what kind of sound that combo is aiming for (piano-like clarity and all), just not my cup of tea. I'd like to try a JoBo/Lakland combo though.

10. grumpyjfc

grumpyjfc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Mount Pleasant SC
    Any opinions about maple fretboard vs rosewood?

11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    FWIW, the majority of DJs I've seen have been rosewood. I've found Lakland's RW boards to be quite nice compared to, say, Fender's--they just feel smoother and less dry to me. That's not a knock on their maple, just a potential reason why RW is prevalent.

12. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs

I think the blocks stand out more on a rosewood....JMHO....it also somewhat depends on the color of the body....I am partial to Rosewood overall.....

unless it has black blocks.....then a maple neck looks great (on a natural JO jazz body with a black pick guard- oh there I go again!!!)

13. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
  14. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    I have a 4 string DJ with maple neck and natural finish body. It is solid and smooth. I love it...except - I regret not getting active electronics:( THe feel of the bass is wonderflul. It is a great instrument.