1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Decade (Skyline) volume pots question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Madcity Fats, May 12, 2010.

1. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Hoping some of you Lakland disciples might have some insight on this. I recently picked up a Skyline Decade. It's a great bass, and a nice change of pace from the more P-oriented stuff in my collection (my only other dual pickup bass is a G&L SB-2). The only issue I have with it is that the volume pots are really touchy. Seems like most of the control exists between about the 8 and 10 positions (if you will) on both pots. Around the halfway point or below, the the pickups are very quiet. Oddly, I didn't notice this so much when I first sat down to play it solo, but when I broke it out for practice and was futzing with dialing in my sound it became pretty apparent.

I wouldn't call it a complaint and it's certainly not a deal breaker because I can blend the pickups as needed. It's just that a little goes a long way and, assuming this is normal, it's something I'll have to adapt to. Just wondering if others have had the same experience. I have a Dark Star equipped Glaub that doesn't exhibit this behavior, so maybe it's a characteristic of the Chi-Sonic pickups?

As I understand it the Skyline electronics are the same as the US series, so again, assuming this is normal behavior, I'd assume the CS-equipped US Decades are the same way?

Any input is appreciated.

2. I'm not sure about it myself, but from experience, contacting the guys at Lakland with your question(s) is a good idea. Their customer service is some of the best out there

3. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Got home from work and broke it out solo, at a louder volume than I was able to previously. I think what I was hearing at practice was a combination of normal log-tapered pot behavior, my ears playing tricks on me and something inherent to the Chi-Sonics, which is that their output as determined by the volume pot has a major effect on their tone. This is not unlike other high output pickup configs I've seen (my SB-2, for one).

I'm new to the Chi-Sonics, and I think I've only just begun to appreciate their potential. There's a broad range of tones you can get out of this bass. Maybe broader than I'm used to.