Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Deluxe 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Traveler, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    I tried a Lakland Deluxe 4, and loved the combination of the MM type bridge pickup and the J neck pickup. Ive never played the 5-string version though, and was just wondering if the low B on it holds any comparison to a Stingray 5.

2. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    MANY (myself included) think the Lakland has the best B out there. That said, I've never owned a Stingray (have played one, but not through my rig)

3. Go to Bassplayer Magazine and click on "Gear". Then click on the "5 string shootout". It has a review of the Lakland Deluxe 55-94 that comments on the B string.:)

4. The Lakland's low B is pretty awesome. I've owned a D55-94 for a couple of months now, and it has been nothing but awesome. The low B can really thunder, but it maintains tonal and chromatic clarity throughout the neck. It's not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a truly great bass!

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I've owned both. The Lakland has a more focused B, but then again, it costs more than twice as much. Lots of other goodies and construction details make the Lakland worth the money, though.