1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Lakland Deluxe 55-94 Once of the first ever built!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by robthebassplaye, Dec 30, 2017.

1. robthebassplaye

robthebassplaye The World Needs More Bass Players - Start Early !! Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2010
    chicago
    Price:
    Strings:
    Hi TB!

PRICE REDUCED AGAIN!!!: $2599... Shipping and insurance included to the continental US. PayPal accepted. May trade for the right 5 string (no 4's or 6's) like a Sadowsky USA PJ, or something else cool...

I am the original owner. I purchased this from Beaver Felton in 1998, he sent me a few of Dans basses in '98 to evaluate, I checked them all out until I agreed to buy this one. I didn't like some because of the flame, others because of the neck or the sound. But this one, I loved, and that's why I bought it.

Serial Number is 5076, so it was one of the first 5 strings basses that Dan ever made (actually, the 76th one... 5xxx is five strings, the xxx is the order of manufacturing). It was manufactured in 1997.

It's a beautiful Cherry Red Flame maple bass. And, honestly, it's it like Brand New condition. Really... Honestly. Take a look - if you want more photos please let me know, I'll take pics of whatever you want, and send them out. This is in like new condition. Original Case from Dan as well.

No scratches, or any other marks. You would think this bass just came out of the factory, as if brand new. Honestly, I have a lot of basses, and I just don't play any one of them a lot. This was my first 100% bought from the builder bass. Gonna miss it.

The Birdseye maple fretboard is beautiful. For me, that's the most beautiful part of this bass.

The first 100 or so 5 string basses from Dan had an issue with the truss rod not being hardened the way it should have been. I had this repaired at the Lakland shop in Chicago, as a result there is a zero fret marker. Most folks would say this increases the value of the bass. I have documentation to prove that I had this done at the Lakland Shop, if you want it.

PM me, I'll be happy to provide any info you would like about it.

Price includes original case, and insured shipping to the continental US.

Rob

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    tomshepp and Fred312b like this.
  2. robthebassplaye

robthebassplaye The World Needs More Bass Players - Start Early !! Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2010
    chicago
    I've already had a question about this bass - and to be clear, yes, it is a USA made bass...

3. bassarama

bassarama Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Toronto
    I was the 1st and only Lakland Dealer in Canada back in 1998 (I sold around a dozen or so all to pro musicians here in Toronto) and there is cat in Indianapolis who is a big fan of Lakland Basses ---for privacy reasons I won't disclose his name.
    Also I bought 2 of the Ltd Edition models with the most killer flame in life--they both sold immediately.Dan Lakin is a great guy--I knew him when he used to send out paper lists by mail.GLWTS.

Oh yeah the Ltd Edition came with all Gold Plated parts...really cool !!!!

4. robthebassplaye

Aug 21, 2010
    chicago
    Nice !

Yeah, I'm old enough to remember paper... :>) (I'm 60...) And, I'm pretty sure I know the person you are talking about in Indy....

bassarama likes this.
  5. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Very very nice..glwts

robthebassplaye likes this.
  6. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I know that most of these models are 35" scale but, I think I read that some of the early ones were 34". I could be wrong but, is yours 35" scale?

7. robthebassplaye

Aug 21, 2010
    chicago
    This is 35" scale, I have not heard of any of the 5 strings that were 34". I'd love to learn more, so if anyone has info on these basses being 34" scale, it would be great to learn about it !

8. StevieM

StevieM

May 10, 2016
    Logan, WV
    Love me some old school Lakies. Lovely instrument. GLWTS.

9. gnergaard

gnergaard

May 31, 2002
    Chicago, IL USA
    There were 34" versions of these bases as part of the original production. I own 2 one with serial # 5002 and another that was a prototype w/o serial number. Other distinctions from later model Laklands is that the bridge is crafted from aluminum, the 1/4" jack is top mounted and the truss rod access is old school philips style. Also the barolini pick up is smaller- the 4 string sized pick up was used (and sounds fantastic).

10. robthebassplaye

Aug 21, 2010
    chicago
    Nice - thank you! I love this site, soooo much knowledge. Thanks gnergaard !

GOTBASS2016 likes this.
  11. GOTBASS2016

GOTBASS2016 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Houston Tx
    PMd

12. GOTBASS2016

GOTBASS2016 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Houston Tx
    PMd

13. robthebassplaye

Aug 21, 2010
    chicago
    Well, Fella's, this beauty is now sold...

Lots of very serious interest lately, once I bumped it from a few months ago, and I'm glad it's going to a great home. This bass was my first "custom build", brand new, from 20+ years ago, and I'm gonna miss that bass, but I absolutely know its going to a player where it will be 100% appreciated, and played the heck out of. Yeah!

14. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area