1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland, Dingwall: Which one???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davis Goertzen, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Hello there,

I'm looking at buying a new five-string bass in the new future. My brother has a Dingwall Afterburner I five-string that sounds absolutely great to me; only they cost about $2100 ($1700-something for ones with finish that's not quite as nice-looking). Now, I've heard great things about Lakland's five-string basses as well, particularly that the low B is very tight. I'm just wondering how Lakland's low Bs would compare to Dingwall's. I was also wondering how the sounds of Lakland's 55-01 or 55-02 basses would compare to an Afterburner I. The sound I would be looking for would be full-rich-smooth-deep, to punchy-bouncy; but I would want the sound always to be round, moderately warm, and never harsh. So, the question is this: Lakland 55-01, Lakland 55-02, Dingwall Afterburner I V--which to get?? Thanks in advance.

Davis Goertzen

2. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    I think the most important issue here is... do you really want to have the same model bass as your brother? :bag:

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lakland's B string is not any tighter than any other 35-inch-scale bass using the same strings. They're all exactly the same.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Lakland make some very nice 5 strings. But NOTHING has a B-string that compares to a Dingwall. Or an E string that compares.

5. What do you mean by this? If you mean, do I want to have the same bass as my brother just to be like him, the answer's no. If you mean, am I interested in the same model bass as my brother because I've really enjoyed the sound and feel of his, the answer's yes. But I am interested in knowing whether you guys think either one of the Laklands would do what I described. If I need to clarify anything more before you can answer the questions, let me know.

Thanks for all the input.

Davis Goertzen

6. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Well, I've played both basses and I personally prefer the Dingwall. That's not a dig against the Skylines because I've played several and they are really nice basses. The Dingwall B and the Lakie B have a slightly different timbre, IMO. You'd have to A/B both of them to hear it.

What you should really do is try out both basses. Then you'll be able to know which bass is better for you.

7. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    If I were to go ahead and compare Lakland to Dingwall.

I'd choose US Lakland vs. Dingwall. Not Skyline.

While skyline's certainly are great basses and a good value, I don't think it's fair to the skylines to compare then to handmade basses with the level of attentiona and engineering dingwall's have.

Just my .02 on the whole premise of this thread.

Oh, and Dingwall if you hadn't caught that earlier.

8. I'd take the lakland 55-02, I've got a 4-94 that I love. I've tried dingwall's and as much as I love the sound I just can't get into the fanned fret thing, but most people don't seem to have a problem adjusting.

9. Lakland and Dingwall are pretty different style of basses. if you are really looking at something up to $2000 then there is a lot of stuff out there. I'd try to look around and play as much as you can and just get whatever "moves" you the most. asking for advice and ideas is great but if dropping that kind of money on a instrument the only opinion that really matters is yours.

Dingwalls are amazing in my opinion. if you like them and have the cash then I would not hesitate. plus there are deals to be had on stuff out there so don't discount looking around for a used one.

10. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    By that I mean... I would personally find it kind of silly to have the same bass model as my brother if he also played bass.. unless it was a common model like a fender.. otherwise it would seem kind of strange to me. Kind of like if you were to only have one outfit to wear.. and it was the same one as your brothers'.
    Or something like that.

Although I guess that would all be moot if you lived in a different city from your brother.

But seriously.. I was just being silly in the first post. If you love the bass, you love the bass. Anyways.. I've never played either bass that you mention, so I'm pretty useless to this thread. :p

11. 1zero

1zero

May 20, 2005
    i own the lakland 55-02 and i can say that the B is tight, but i guess its all the same on all 35" scale basses..but the lakland's main selling point is its tonal versality..an active preamp and parallel/series switch for the MM pickup plus a blend knob..i've never played a dingwall before so i can only recommend the lakland 55-02..but with that amount of money it'd be better to go american lakland n not the skyline series..

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    This is a valid point. An AB-I is passive, but does have a 4-way switch for neck solo, both in series, both in parallel, bridge solo, and a passive tone knob, plus the Dingwall switch, BluEQube which is basically just a midrange cut that gives an instant slap tone. So while it has a fair share of tones, its not as versatile as the active Lakland probably. That being said, I prefer the Dingwall's natural sound, and the tones I can get out of it are plenty for me.

13. I own a Lakland Skyline 55-01 and just received my Dingwall Super J yesterday. Both basses are excellent. The 55-01's active controls does offer a lot of versatility and has a nice modern tone. However, I can say that the Super J's active/passive controls affords a great deal of versatility including a very jazz bass as well as an excellent slap tone. The Super may be a little more money than the AB1 but I got mine for a little over 2K. Don't get me wrong, until I got turned on to the Dingwall, I was going Lakland all the way. I agree that you really need to try them both and see which one touches your soul. I also agree that the better comparison is a USA Lakland vs Dingwall. :bassist:

14. Thanks for all the input, everyone. Up here the Dingwall runs close to $2000 Cd, the 55-02 $1500-something, and the 55-01 $900-something. The only problem is, the closest store that I know sells Lakland is 9 hours away, and they don't stock them; they special-order them. I may just go with the Afterburner after all.

15. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    One thing you may not be thinking about right now, but most of us have experienced at one time or more is that if you buy your second choice because of price, it often costs more in the long run because you eventually buy the one you wanted in the first place later.

Buy the one you love, and if it turns out to be the Dingwall, just tighten your belt for a few months.
    You'll forget the extra money spent within half a year, if even that, and you'll be happier for buying the instrument that puts the magic in your music.

P.S. I know it doesn't help much but if it helps at all in making the right purchase, there's my 2 cents donation!

16. Thanks for all your helpful input, everyone. Good point, Akami. I hadn't considered that.

I have never even seen a Lakland in person (that I know of), much less played one, so I have absolutely no experience there. But I do know that I have greatly enjoyed playing my brother's Afterburner I. So, I'm thinking that's what I'll probably go with.

Again, thanks to all for the insight and answers.

Davis Goertzen

17. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    FYI - on the AfterBurner models, the B-string is something like 37" scale. I played my buddy's ABII 5-string w/ a hipshot detuner on the B. All I have to say is that the low A would absolutle kill small furry animals if they were to venture in front of my 550 / 210XST Eden rig. This bass has the physical feel & tone that I've had in my head for years...now I just gotta scrounge up $2600 US for it!

18. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Lakland.

19. Thanks for the note about Dingwall's low B, Brim; actually I was aware of that, and that's a very big part of the reason I'm looking towards the Dingwall. I think that all their Dingwall's basses use the Novax Fanned Fret System, which goes from 37" for the low B to 34" for the high G. The obvious exception is the Super J, which I think (note, I am not positive) goes from 34.25" on the low E to 32" on the high G.

Jazzin', could you give me some reasons why I should choose the Lakland over the Dingwall? I don't want to be challenging your opinion, but regardless of how well-grounded your opinion is, it's useless to the rest of us if you don't elaborate and back it up.

Thanks all.

Davis Goertzen

20. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Davis,

To be fair, I've never played a Lakland bass and the only Dingwall I've played, once, was my buddy's AfterBurnerII, which seriously impressed me. He had the pomele top upgrade which looks awesome in real life, pictures can't really capture it.

Other basses I've played in the past include, Sterlings, Stingray5, Fender Jazz Bass (Squier, Japanese, Mexican, & US), Gibson Les Paul bass, and a few no-namers. The dingwall is the best I've played in terms of how the neck felt in my hands, the sound it produced through my eden rig (compared to my stingray5), and the finish.

Peace,

Brim