1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Lakland DJ Fretless P/J RARE!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by lpcarter, Mar 16, 2017.

1. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Price:
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    One of a kind! Custom built for Juan Alderete (The Mars Volta) to unique specs. While he did order a few variations of these, you won't find anything like it unless it's one of his.

This bass is Juan's nod toward a replication of his favorite bass: a 69 fretless Fender PJ with an expoxied fretboard. The bass has definitely been played out by Juan, I did my best to accurately photograph the general condition of the bass, which is good overall with dings.

-Fretless
    -Pearloid dots (the picture I took of the dots is washed out, but don't worry! The pearloid is indeed nuanced pearly goodness)
    -Side dots on every fret, though the "extra" ones are black dots. Traditionally placed dots are pearloid.
    -Rosewood board with THIN epoxy
    -Custom P/J setup! This is NOT something that Lakland will do anymore. At least, that's what Leo told me.
    -3 way pickup selector
    -Drop D tuner
    -Tort guard (not in pictures, but it is included)
    -8.953lbs
    -Electronics updated by Tim Vig in Saint Paul. When I got the bass, the electronics were a rats nest and simply didn't work. Tim wired it in a way that favored the 3WS and created a better tone. However, this is at the cost of rolling off pickup volume, which will break the circuit. Switching it back to a traditional setup is a simple matter of moving a few wires.
    -Will ship in a new gig bag

IMG_6856.JPG

$1650 shipped!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Epic Pickups & StringJoy Strings Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Wow. Just wow.

lpcarter likes this.
  3. strost

strost

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    Coolness.
    Is this it?

lpcarter likes this.
  4. lpcarter

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Cool find!! That's gotta be it. Though it's a brief appearance, I couldn't see anything different.

5. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hot damn, that is SICK!!! I wish I was in the market for a fretless. Ash and rosewood is pretty much my favorite color scheme, too.

lpcarter likes this.
  6. lpcarter

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Aggressive price drop! I've got something on my eye :bassist: may my GAS work in favor for everyone :cool:

7. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Wow!!

Really cool bass ( I didn't know this existed!)

And

A really cool seller.....

lpcarter likes this.