Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland: DJ or JO 4 or 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Ok, I've been hunting for a Jazz bass for a long time, well I should say one that really suits me, and it seems like I can't find an actual Fender that meets my wants, cuz I have no real need for a Jazz, so I thought I'd try a Skyline series Joe Osborn or Daryl Jones. Also, I'm not averse to getting a 5 or a 4. I was wondering if those of you who own any of these basses, I know the DJ 5's aren't out yet, wold be willing to post sounds clips or tell me where I can find some. I know that Sean Anderson, the bassist for Finger Eleven used what I believe was a Joe Osborn 5 on their most recent album, which was AMAAAAAZING by the way, and I was hoping someone could give me places I could find other people who play Lakland Jazz type basses. Also, which color do you guys prefer with a maple neck, black or lake placid blue? I love both and can't decide....

2. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I have a JO 5 on order that should be here in about a week or two. I'll try and post a sound clip or something for ya OR at the very least I'll post some comments. I've had no experience with the DJ's at all.

EDIT: The one I have coming is in LPB.

3. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Did you by any chance buy the one from Bass Central? I've been drooling over that one on their website for days now. And thank you very much, I'll be awaiting your comments and clips with great anticipation!

4. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    The DJ 5 last I heard is still in the developmental stages and Dan hasn't had time to hit the drawing board being busy and all so it might take a while, did you try the Fender Roscoe Beck V? If not then I'd say try it before you decide you might be quite pleased :smug:

5. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'd really like to try one of those but I've never even seen one, never seen one on eBay and can't afford them new. All in all a good recipe to try something else. But thanks for the idea, it was actually the first bass I thought of to try to replace my Jazz.

6. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Pat Dahlheimer plays Osborns and Glaubs on Live's "V" and "Birds of Pray" albums

7. boo

boo

Oct 12, 2002
    Netherlands
    I like the color on my bass soooooooo much :D :D :D

[​IMG]

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Actually, the DJ5 isn't far away now (this fall). Over at the Dudepit, deposits are now being taken for the first arrivals.

Here's a link to a few pics:

http://members6.clubphoto.com/steve513412/2136224/guest.phtml

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I played that very bass at the Crossroads Festival. It was very nice. It, and the Ken Smith Designs Jazz Bass, are the first 5 string Jazz Basses I've really liked, and I liked the DJ more.

If the production models are as nice as the spec prototype (built overseas--not US), this is going to be a very popular bass.

10. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I know that Ben Kenney, the new bassist for Incubus is playing a J.O. 4 string on pretty much the whole new album. The C-D is Called A Crow Left Of The Murder and is possibly one of the best c-ds I've Bought all year long. His bass sounds absolutely amazing on the album also. It's a very warm jazz sound with lots of clarity and a bit of growl. Check this album out!

11. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ

OH MY!!!! that is soo beautiful.....Im thinking about getting a sunburst again. My first bass was a sunburst Jazz and now im looking for another one. It more than likely going to be Lakland now im up in the air about an Osbourne, Jones or Glaub. One of those with a black pickguard....mmm mmm mmm

12. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    i read an artical on him in a recent BassPlaryer. After reading that ive went out and traded my Ampeg for a Mesa and rounds for flats. He turned iout tobe one of my favorite bassists. Sweet album too! Now back to these Laklands....

13. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    NOOOOO I'm already in debt can't make it any more worse as of right now. I hope it doesn't come soon for my wallets sake :help:

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    To my knowledge, the DJ is very similar to the JO, but the DJ has a smaller body.

FWIW, I played a US JO 5 at the Lakland factory and have NEVER felt more at home with a more lively sounding 5 than this bass! It had a Bartolini preamp, which according to the website is only available through special order, but this baby SMOKED!!!!! :D

15. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Thanks for all the great info guys! I'm really curious about the passive ones though, have you all played these?

16. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Sorry, I didn't see this post until now. No, I'm a dealer for Lakland and I ordered one to have in my store. I'm sure I'll be tempted to keep it though :meh:

17. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I envy you to say the least, surrounded by nice Lakland stuff all day... I'd never get any work done!

18. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    What's the string spacing like on the JO5? Is it tighter than a Fender Jazz V?

19. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    The spacing on the JO5 is 19mm (3/4") spacing...standard spacing. I don't know what the Fender Jazz V's spacing is.