1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland DJ Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Billygoat666, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Billygoat666

Billygoat666

Sep 19, 2007
    Hello All,

I have a Black Skyline Darryl Jones shipping to me from Lakland hopefully some time this week with a J-Retro installed at the factory. I'm going to order a hotter pickguard for it from Jeannie's but I have some questions.

Firstly, for those of you that have put your own J-Retro in your DJ, is the control plate sized exactly the same? The pickguard I order won't have to be cut at all to accommodate the J-Retro will it? Secondly, I've never changed a pickguard. Is it difficult? Is the neck pickup mounted to the pickguard? If so, is it difficult to figure out the proper pickup height after throwing it on the new guard?

By the way, I'm thinking about going for a black cherry pearl guard which I think should look hella good against the sparkle black.

Thanks,

2. Congrats - DJ's are great basses. I have a black 5.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the J-retro plate is the same shape as the standard plate on the DJ.

I bought a black pearloid guard for mine from Jeannie's - looks awesome! You will need to give them the serial number of the bass as they will check with Lakland to make sure they are using the correct pattern for your bass. Fitting the guard is a piece of cake and will take a couple of minutes. You won't need to touch the pickups - it's simply a case of unscrewing the old guard and popping the new one on!

3. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Billygoat,

A Jeannies pickguard will fit without any modification.

The J-Retro fits in the same way as the normal control plate.

The pickup is not attached to the pickguard.

Loosen or remove your strings to give clearance to swap guards.

Bob

4. Billygoat666

Billygoat666

Sep 19, 2007
    Thanks for the replies guys. Glad to hear I can change the pickguard without even removing the strings. I can't wait for this beast to get here! Should hopefully just be a few days.

5. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Beast is right...

I have a DJ5 with J-Retro (factory installed as well) and then got a Jeannie's pickguard for it. As mentioned, I gave him the serial number and it was indeed a perfect fit.

I hope your DJ comes in lighter than mine, which is 11.5 pounds. Yikes! But the sound is killer and the J-Retro is quite versatile.

BUT - be careful of the switches! I was cleaning the bass and flipped the switches around and forgot which way was "active". When I played that night I went crazy for about 5 minutes wondering where all the low end went. :bag:

6. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    I put the pearl white pickguard on mine to match the blocks. Nice! Mine comes in at just over 9 pounds and it is a keeper. I much prefer maple necks, but that combo of dark neck, white pearl blocks, white pearl pickguard, and black sparkley is very nice to look at. With a ComfortStrapp it is comfy for quite some time.

Does the J Retro really do something for the bass? Have thought about it but just don't know what to expect.

7. Congrats about your new bass. I'm also getting a new black sparkle DJ this week. I have one of the black pearl pickguards to put on mine when it gets here. :)

8. Black Cherry Tort from Jeannies is a good choice...

Peace,

T

9. vinestreet

vinestreet

Aug 17, 2008
    Singapore
    Congrats on the new DJ. I'm waiting for my natural with black blocks sometime.....end of the month (i hope)? Can't wait too!

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If it's factory fitted by Lakland, it'll be exactly the same.
    The DJ4 control plate and cavity are non-standard shape, so Lakland mount it to a DJ control plate and do a little bit extra routing in the cavity so the J-Retro fits.

As to the pickguard question, I love the carbon fiber one I got from Jeannies. Enjoy the bass. I love mine to bits - great J bass.

dj4Bodys.