Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland DJ5: Color Combo Battle Throw in your 2 cents

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Poon, Nov 2, 2005.

What Color Lakland DJ5 would you go for?

Poll closed Nov 9, 2005.
  1. Black Sparkle

38 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. White Pearl

49 vote(s)
    36.3%
  3. Lake Placid Blue

48 vote(s)
    35.6%
  1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    For me it's Black Sparkle Vs. White Pearl in 5 String...

What would you go for if you were to get a Darryl Jones 5?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Poon, I've owned DJs in white and black sparkle. They are both really nice looking basses, but I like the white better. It looks awesome with a tort guard. I changed the guard on my black one to a black guard and that looks pretty darn good too. The sparkle is a very subtle effect. It isn't an over the top sparkle like you see on some G and L's, Ernie Balls, etc.

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I've gotten some GAS for a White DJ5 with Maple board n bindings... I don't know... just something about it...

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    You can't really go wrong with any DJ5. I chose the Black Sparkle/Rosewood and put a Tort Pickguard on it. VERY VERY cool! love the look. But I also bought a white pearlized Pickguard for it too. While I like the Tort better, it's a little bit on the dark side. The white Pearl Pickguard picks up stage lights better and blends with the White MOP neck inlays. Either way it's really cool.

I love the White Pearl too and agree with the post to put a Tort Pickguard on that. That's a stunning combination. In hndsight, I think the white pearl with the Tort Pickguard has it all. Looks great under stage lights and has great contrast with a tort Pickguard.

I like the bass so much I am tempted to score a White pearl DJ5 and put a J retro in it. I don't want to mess with my black Sparkle. It has a vibe I don't want to mess with. I still yearn however for the ability to dial in more mids here and there. A J Retro onboard Active Preamp would give that to me and probably more.

My Black Sparkle /Passive DJ5 sounds so good, I just don't want to mess with it. I have to say that the Lakland DJ5 is truly the punchiest passive bass I'ver ever played. Very impressive. Probably one of the best values on the market today in my opinion.

You can view my Black Sparkle DJ5 with the Tort PG and also with the white pearlized Pickguard on the gear page on my band website;

http://www.smokingsectionband.com/Page.html

Gary

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I think white, with either vintage pearl or tort guard.

6. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    I went with the blue. Don't like MOP inlays on maple and don't like rosewood fingerboards on black basses.

7. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I really dig your black sparkle with the tort. That's a beaut. :)

8. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Thanks Poon. PM with your email address and I'll send you the pics so you take a better look. They are a little dark on the website. The black sparkle with the Tort really is RICH looking. I think more so than with the white pearlized pickguard. I also think a Tort Pickguard on the white pearl is a stunner too. Can't go wrong with either of those options. I'm a fan of Tort Pickguards, so I would not choose the Blue. Gary

9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Mine is lake placid with an aftermarket white MOP pickguard. I think it looks great, but frankly I think the best looking combo is the white with a tortoise guard. (somebody around here has one like that).

I like the DJ5 so much I want to buy another and route it for P/J pickups :bassist:

DIBS on the first white/rosewood one that comes up used, I CALLED IT! :ninja:

10. Whats up Steve? Lovin' the 55-02, just to let you know.

If the black sparkle's sparkle isn't real flashy, Id go with that. Otherwise, definitely the white pearl. And to echo Gary, definitely go with the tort pickguard, sexy.

Dave

11. Can I have some pics of that too? Im having thoughts of a DJ5 lately too.

12. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fine specimen if I do say so

13. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dave, see you got my my 55-02 and I'm missing Laklands already...

14. Im sorry. Now that I got that one, Ive been craving more of them. Think I want a DJ next also. If I could play one, Id probly get one too. Ill sell you back the 55-02 if you ask nice when I get another Lakland. Maybe... ;)

15. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Probably will be broke and in debt by that point bud... Especially if I get a DJ5.

16. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

mine's a DJ4 , but i like the white / tort combination ...:D

Attached Files:

17. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Black Sparkle pics with Tort Pickguard.

Attached Files:

18. babyhuey

babyhuey

Sep 16, 2005
    AR
    I like the White pearl except for the matching headstock. For whatever reason I've never liked white headstocks, and for this reason I'd have to go with the black sparkle.

19. The white pearl looks sick :bassist:

20. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    depends on a maple or rosewood board...

white with maple board and white guard... :D

or black with maple board - matching headstock looks great