Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland DJ5 Skyline has landed!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GRoberts, Feb 19, 2005.

1. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I just picked up Lakland Skyline DJ5 yesterday and gigged with it last night. I've been in love with Mother-of-pearl block inlays on Rosewood Fingerboards since my old '68 Fender Jazz. (Never should have let the '68 Fender go. Hindsight ya know)

I found this Black Sparkle Lakland DJ5 at The Bass Place in Scottsdale and was quite blown away with it. Especially being a passive bass. Had to have it. I've been a died in the wool active electronics lover for years but these passive Aero pick-ups have TONE to spare.

I'll post a more thorough review later. I need to get the action dialed in to my liking. I'll tweak it today and take it to the gig tonight. This is my first Lakland bass and if this bass is any indication of their quality, this will not be my last! The neck feels very comfortable. Not too deep or chunky like Fender 5's. The back of the neck has a satin smooth finish which is very slick. The weight of the bass is perfect. I'm guessing under 9lbs or thereabouts. The frets are small and dressed perfectly with the bound fingerboard. The single tone control has a lot of range and can go from very bright and 70's Marcus-ish sounding to nice and mid-rangey to darken things up. The B string is thunderous. I was quite amazed and blown away by just how deep, full, tight and focused the B string is. Dang!

I took a bunch of photo's today. Email or PM if you want to see them. I didn't have time to resize for TB limitations. Questions and comments are always welcome

More to come. - Gary

Attached Files:

2. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Please send any other pics you might have to cgworkman [at] gmail.com.

Also, what's the nut width on that DJ5?

Thanks in advance

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Very handsome - I've been waiting to get a good look at one for a while. They're 35" scale, right?

4. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Yes, 35" scale. Very nice low action possible. Easy to play. Good balance. No idea what the nut width is. It is not narrow like the MM SR5 and not wide either. I'd say just right.

5. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Does the Bass Place have more of those and if you don't mind how much did it set you back? It sure is a great looking Bass.....Thanks for the GAS!! ;)

6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    BEAUTIFUL.....

...Okay now that I'm back from cleaning the drool off my keyboard. I want bass with blocked and bound rosewood freboard so bad. I'm workin on something very similar to that. Mine is probably going to be a geddy lee body, with a white pearloid pickguard, and warmoth neck with blocked and bound fingerboard. But anyways, I can't wait to hear more about it.

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Nut width = 1.81"

8. Hey Gary,

Congrats!! That's a very beatiful bass you get!!
    Hope it will give you a lot of pleasure!

Vince

9. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Good enough to keep you off your F's?

10. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA

Hi Dave, In short. No. The F Bass is on another level. And it should be for more than twice the price. It is a stellar bass and I was not, and am not, looking to replace it.

For the money, the Lakland Skyline DJ5 is unbeatable. Last night I played both the DJ5 and my F Bass BN5. This gig called for quieter dinner music / Jazz standards. So I didn't get to play at more than a very quiet volume. The DJ5 doesn't have the Mids or versatile tone options that I can get from the F Bass. But that is to be expected.

The neck on the DJ5 is equally comfortable. It is s 35" scale, but very comfy. The other thing that I noticed last night is how full sounding the notes on the DJ5 are. Even the D and G strings are very full and rich. Sometimes, I've found those strings sound thin on other basses. I'm still getting aquainted with the DJ5 and adjusting the balance between pick ups and using the tone control to dial down the brightness. But all in all, I am very impressed and satisfied. For the record, the DJ5 also nails a VERY nice slap tone. Lastly, I am still blown away at how deep and focused the B string is on the DJ5. It reminds me of Roscoe's B string thunder. It is that impressive.

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Try putting a J-Retro in it if you want more versatility.

12. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Might try a J-Retro sometime. But for now, I am loving the passive simplicity. It's not like I am looking for more versatility from the DJ5. I like the sound I get from it pure and simple. Maybe I'll J-retro-ize the bass one day, but for now, she is the passive electronics stallion in my stable.

FYI - the Tortoise Shell Pick Guard is after market. I got it from another TB'er who bought it from Jeannies Pick guards. I also ordered a white pearlized Pick guard from Jeannies and got it 2 days! They are great to work with.

The Lakland Skyline DJ5 is clearly going to be a HUGE hit for Lakland once they are able to deliver more DJ5 basses. One day I'll have to compare with a Joe Osborn 5, (I know, the JO5 is a more 60's Jazz sound). I'm liking my DJ5 enough to consider my favorite GAS phrase, "Collect the whole set!"

13. nismaniac

nismaniac

Feb 21, 2005
    OKC, OK
    Your DJ5 looks great man. I am waiting on a Pearl White/Maple/J-retro myself. I have two new pickgaurds waiting for it. The wait is killing me but if it looks half as good as yours, it will have been well worth it. I will post pics as soon as I get mine as well.

14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Roger at Jeannie's is a good friend and is now also making all the OEM pickguards for Lakland and has templates for all Lakland models. He'll make you just about any guard you want for your Lakland bass. He has all the "bowling ball swirl" material as well as "black abalone"....you name it.

http://home.comcast.net/~pickguards/

15. nismaniac

nismaniac

Feb 21, 2005
    OKC, OK
    Hey Steve,

I snapped up a DJ5 guard in blue abalone and tort. I can't wait to try them on for size. Is the factory still waiting for the shipment of Aero pickups?

16. john flipcycle

john flipcycle

Oct 13, 2004
    Reading UK
    Partner, The Strat Shack www.thestratshack.co.uk
    Lucky devil. Still waiting for my rosewood/black DJ5. Still if its as good as I am hoping its gonna be worth it! :hyper:

17. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    It IS as good as you hope it will be John. Actually, I think "Better" is more like it. I sent you an email with Pics by the way. - Gary

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Yes and it's very frustrating. These DJ5's were supposed to be shipped by Thanksgiving and I still have 14 of them sitting in Chicago waiting for fugging pickups!!!

Very frustrating and makes me look bad to my customers. Then I get some dipwad like PJR posting pics all over the net and I get 14 people on my ass looking for theirs! :rollno:

They're coming guys...honest!!

19. nismaniac

nismaniac

Feb 21, 2005
    OKC, OK
    No problem Steve, well worth the wait for many reasons. I'm just glad to have the status update. Thanks.

20. Gorgeous bass.

I love block inlays.