Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland DJ5 vs Roscoe Beck 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MingusBass, Feb 1, 2005.

1. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    I'm looking to buy a passive 5 string and I'm wanting to compare the 2 but I have never played a DJ5. If any of you can give me some help by comparing and contrasting the two I would appreciate it. If you've played both, give me an Idea which one you would pick.

thanks,
    Andrew

2. I had a DJ 4 very briefly, and it was an awesome bass. Great playability, and the best Jazz bass style tone Ive ever heard. I do like the Roscoe Beck, but my vote goes to the DJ 5.

Andrew. Would I steer you wrong?? :smug:

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Haven't played the DJ 5 but have played the 4, have played several RB5's. I don't know If I have a preference, it's more what your looking for. The DJ has a very good Fender 70's vibe, not the shoddy workmanship! , but the tone that people love out of 70's Fenders, but it's a little more versitile. The RB5 on the other hand has more of a 60's vibe but again, it's not just a 60's style instrument. My suggestion try them both, The necks are probably vastly different and that may be the deal braker, but both are very good instruments, almost as good as my Metro (just kidding).
    Steve B

4. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I'm a little biased, but I'll always take a Lakland over a modern Fender. I've owned both and find the Laklands to be what Fender USED to be.

5. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Bump; I'd like to hear more opinions.

6. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Hey Steve,

How would you describe the differences in the neck shape, size and feel between the DJ5 and the RB5?

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Roscoe, Unfortunently I haven't had the privilage of playing the 5 yet only the 4, See my post. I have played the JO 5 skyline, very similar to my Metro. The RB5 is a little chunky for me, more P bass in feel, but some may like it. I have a feeling it could be the deal breaker between the two because I doubt their similar. Both by the way are excellent basses.

8. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA

I hear you about the neck on the RB5. I played one at a music shop once and was very impressed with the sound of the bass. The bass had a very punchy sound and it had good growl and authority. As it has been said before, the RB5 is very impressive passive bass and probably one of the best, if not the best 5 string Fender on the market.

The action was good too. But the neck was decidedly a little deeper and chunkier than I prefer, but it was very playable nonetheless. It wasn't offensively chunky. But not as sleek as my F Bass BN5 or something like a Roscoe LG3005/SKB3005. I haven't had a chance to play a DJ5 yet, but I might drive up the road to a shop that just got a black DJ5 to check it out.

I'm tempted to pick up a Fender RB5 for the classic, yet updated Fender sounds that it is so good at. But I also hear GREAT things about the Lakland DJ5. Probably need to play one of those too.

9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    While I do think the Roscoe Beck model is one of the nices basses Fender has to offer, I'm still going to cast my vote for the Darryl Jones. Lakland really has it together in all aspects of bass manufacturing, IMO.

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, the RB5 is a great bass. Most versatile passive bass I've played, best Fender 5 string I've played. It's a little bit of an apples/oranges comparison, since the RB5 is so much more versatile. And not necessarily an either / or question either. As people have said, the DJ5 is more of the 70's vibe and the RB5 is closer to 60's in sound IMO. There's definitely space for both in the arsenal.

I have the DJ5 and love it. I've also owned an RB5 in the past - the neck on the RB5 is fine, but just a little chunky for me also. The DJ5 feels most natural to my hands.

11. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Hi David,

How does the modified body shape of the DJ5 strike you in the real world? Hard to tell in a photo. It looks a bit different than standard J Bass shapes. Thanks - Gary

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    from a playability point of view, I don't think it makes any difference.
    Visually, I dig it - bit more streamlined.
    Here's some pics from the lakland site of the JO and DJ for comparison - even tho one is a 4 and one a 5 it's a good comparison since the horns are the same size on the 4 and 5.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]