Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland DJ5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bugbass, Oct 30, 2005.

1. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    When I did a search for this bass, I found very few comments about the quality on the B-string.
    So how good is it really?
    Compared to my Sadowsky NYC 24 fret 5?
    I got a fair deal on one of these beuties, but can`t try before I by.
    So if someone can convince me that this will be a great bass nr 2?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    It is a great bass, but it isn't really fair comparing it to a Sadowsky that is over 3 times the price.

3. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    I know, but there are some basses in the DJ pricerange that have more than a decent B, so I was hoping someone could say something that can give me an idea of the quality on this bass` B

4. G-Man

G-Man Keeping it Solid

Jun 1, 2005
    South Carolina
    It sucks, don't buy the bass! BTW how can I contact the seller?? ;)

Just kidding, I've got some serious DJ5 G.A.S. myself :D

5. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    But, Lakland has an excellent reputation for tight, focused B strings on their 35 in scale basses. The two 5594's I've owned had about a tight feeling and sounding B string as any bass I've owned. I also owned a 24 fret NYC Sadowsky and the Lakland's B string certainly was it's equal if not even a bit more focused.

I think the DJ 5's are 35 inch scale. I heard one at a concert (LeeAnn Rimes) and it sounded great.

The DJ5's haven't been out that long. Hopefully you'll get some good responses from those owners.

LKaye

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I spoke to the quality of the B string in my recent "brief" review post, but I'll elaborate.

Will the DJ5 be as good as your NYC Sadowsky? Absolutely not. As long as you string up Roger's basses with his stainless strings, you've got a master formula for a world-class FAT sounding B string the intonates perfectly up past the 12th fret. Really something special. They also have a tone that really sits well in a rock mix, combines amazingly with a kick drum, and sounds exactly like the E string.

For me, the sadowsky B gets a solid 'A'. The only bass that gets an "A+" is my Modulus Q5. My wenge necked MTD 535 gets an 'A-'.

However, when I tried to use my usual favored strings, DR high beams, on a metro RV5, it really didn't work at all. I got buzzing, overtones, and intonation problems (YES, I know how to adjust the saddles!) The beam seems to need a 35" scale. It bummed me out greatly, but in order to complete the sadowskly puzzle, I had to use the sadowsky stainless strings. Ultimately that is one of the big reasons I switched to a DJ5, I REALLY like the feel and sound of hi beams.

The DJ5 B string works well with high beams (B+/A-), but even when strung with the sadowsky stainless set won't achieve the greatness of the Sadowsky B. It is a workable and good sounding B, with nice tight feel, and you can set the action nice and low without buzzing. It just doesn't have that amazing sadowsky tone.

But now, the sound of the rest of the bass, thats a whole other topic! Ultimately, I only use the B string for a handful of notes on each tune, so the sound of the rest of the bass mattered more. And on that, the DJ5 is just amazing. Feels better in my hands too.

7. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.

So? what do you think? USA or Skyline DJ5???

8. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    I have always wondered why the only B-string that works on my Sadowsky is the Sadowsky stainless steel?
    I`ve tried almost all other brands, and the Slappers from LaBella and Ritter strings is ok, but the Sadowsky string really makes the B sing.

And in my opinion the older was better than todays. I still use the original B that was on my bass when i bought it i-93 from time to time. Still works.

So the B on the DJ is more like a fender?

9. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Agreed, the labella is the only other one that passes. IMO that is a deficiency of the sadowsky bass :(

And NO, the DJ5 is not at all like a Fender 5! I've never played a fender 5 with a B string I'd rate higher than "C+". Unless you are extremely picky, you'll absolutely love the DJ5's B. I am extremely picky, and it is still good enough for me given how great the bass sounds overall.

10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    They don't make many DJ basses as USA models, and I have no reason to beleive the B string would be any better if they did.

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    To be clear, I find the B on the DJ5 much better than "pretty decent", and in fact I find it better than anything else I've played in its price range, including the stringray 5!!!

12. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    Pickles

Thanks for your information :)

13. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    But they are available.

14. +1 That DJ5 just blows me a away for the price. Good, solid B string on the one I played, great fit and finish, and more aggressive growl and punch than my Sadowsky NYC vintage 5.

On the Sadowsky B string, I've had no problem at all. I use DR HI Beam 45-125, and the B string sounds great. Are you evaluating the B string sound on a gig or sitting at home. That's a very different thing. I do admit that sitting alone and playing the Sadowsky B (or the Celinder B for that matter) versus some of my more boutique bass B strings results in the Sadowsky B sounding a little thinner and less punchy than other basses. However, when you get it on a gig, the B actually punches through and is more usable to me than some of the other super massive B string sounds on other basses.

15. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I tested the DRs on a couple of rehersals with the full band and immediately went back to the sadowskys. I found that I had to increase the neck relief to accommodate the greater vibration of the high beams and the B string sounded hollow down low, and unusable past about the 6th fret. I wrote a lot about this in the strings forum. It could have been an issue with my Sadowsky I suppose, and it all does depend on the players touch as well. With DRs on both, the Lakland with its graphite strips and 35" scale is the clear winner.

I can't wait to try a few more string sets on the DJ5, especially the Fat Beams, which seem to me to have a slightly more solid low B than high beams, at least on my MTD where I've tried both.

16. I can see that happening... the Hi Beams do 'move' quite a bit... and combined with the 34" scale could be a problem. I don't really use the B string much above the 6th or 7th fret, so can't comment on that... but they do sound good 'down low'!

17. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    My Metro was also an alder body and was VERY resonant. That bass would feed back when I sustained mid-neck notes sometimes :eek: The combo of a super alive bass and a super alive string could have been the issue.

18. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    but, don't you think that maybe it's a possibility that us five stringers were complaining about not being included in the DJ models as the reason they built this one? There aren't too many if any basses in this street price range with a bound fingerboard or block inlays, right? So maybe when they designed the bass for it to be Mr. Jones's, I mean...he's more of a four stringer player, isn't he? Not that he doesn't or can't play a five....but he's mostly a four banger isn't he? So maybe Lakland didn't really want to introduce a DJ5 in the first place and didn't consider it in it's design plans.....

Can those of you who own or have played DJ5's compare it's B string to the other Korean Laklands for us? 5501 or 5502's.
    Can 5501 or 02 owners comment about their B strings (in a clean way please!!! :smug:). I'm very curious as to the quality of the Korean made Lakland 5's B string and in general, especially considering that the 5501 and 5502's were introduced I believe simultaneously with the 4 stringers...in otherwords the 5'ers weren't an afterthough.

One other very quick comment which someone else mentioned...comparing the b or any other feature for that matter with another instrument that's twice to four times as much....well...everyone's entitled to do so but there's some sort of reason why when Bass Player Mag does 4 or 5 string shootouts, they usually seem to try to keep the comparisons related to other instruments in the same price category. We would all hope that the interior materials of a Lexus or generally its mechanicals (vs tires or batteries etc.) should be significantly "better" quality than a car costing 1/2 or 1/3 as much. That's why when the car mags do a comparison, they try to keep the compared cars prices in somewhat similar ranges.

The reason I bring this up is that the American Laklands with 35 inch scale's B string is thought by what I've read and heard in mags, boards, and reviews on-line, + hyped by dealers since their 35 inch scale models came out, as one of the best in the business compared to basses of ALL PRICES. I wonder whether the B+ rating by another poster here on the DJ5's B is typical of Lakland's Korean basses in general, or just that model, or for that matter, just that bass.

Something also interesting to me....I'm now a big Mike Lull fan and have his M5V bass...My B string in totally in tune and useable to the end of the neck, not just for an octave, let alone the 6 or 7 frets. The string feels tight, does not buzz, thumps really well and comes in mighty handy on quite a few tunes we do. As far as volume goes, it's totally balanced with the other strings but obviously, if I play the same note on the E string, it's not quite as full sounding, but, for example, the C on the 13th fret of the low B string and the C on the 8th fret of the E are equally useable...the difference is more than subtle but not distracting by any means. The Lull is street priced right in between the DJ5 and the NYC Sadowsky equivalent if that has any bearing here. I have an alder body by the way, 35 inch scale, and a maple neck and fretboard.

Lkaye

19. I always had good luck with the Lakland Stainless on my Skylines. That's what was on the DJ5 when I sold it to you, but that set was fairly old and had lots of gig time. If you haven't tried the Laklands before, you might give 'em a shot.

I'm always surprised at how much difference strings make, and how most basses seem to have one particular brand that just "fits".

Mike

20. Larry,

The B on both the DJ5 and the 55-01 that I had before that were consistently excellent and among the best I've played in any price range. I liked the 55-01 B-string just a little more than the DJ5, but that may be more of an active vs. passive preference. My current 55-94 is a touch better than either, but I'm guessing that's got more to do with the ebony vs. rosewood board than the American vs. Korean thing.

Mike