1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland DJ5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J fingaz, Jan 23, 2012.

1. J fingaz

J fingaz

May 24, 2007
    I'm looking for a 5 string jazz bass. I love the old school fender sound but I've been reading a lot of great things on here about the DJ5. After listening to all the you tube clips I could find, it seems that the DJ5 sounds very full and the B string is killer, but it lacks the high end, cutting, glassy snap sound when popping the D and G strings that a fender has. It also seems like in most of the clips the acoustic sound coming from the bass is louder than the output which doesn't help though. I've even noticed this in Fernando Lambrid's video. I'm talking rosewood AND maple fretboards. Is this just a case where the video sound doesn't do the bass any justice for live sound, or is that just what it sounds like? Is this bass just generally darker than a fender jazz?

2. J fingaz

J fingaz

May 24, 2007
    Bump

3. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    The passive DJs I've tried were nice and bright, easily as much or more so than a Fender Jazz. I wouldn't judge from a YouTube clip so quickly.

4. DJ5's have plenty of snap if you want. I think this has more to do with the strings and eq setting on your amp/pedals. Mine has the Aero;s which are the older style and when strung with circle K's or Roto;s has plenty of zing, and upper mid grind. The newer post 2005 models had the Lakland pickups but the differences are subtle IMO.

5. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    ... but that's a good thing, imho

DuncanStan likes this.
  6. J fingaz

J fingaz

May 24, 2007
    I'm not talking obnoxious, just that authoritative pop that cuts through the mix like the crispness that larry graham gets with his white moon bass.

7. J fingaz

J fingaz

May 24, 2007
    Anyone out there who's played the DJ5 and a Fender American Deluxe 5 side to side? How would you compare the two?

8. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    I just don't see that as a problem with the DJ. At rehearsal last night I was think about your post and My DJ5, Maple neck, strung with a nicely broken-in set of rounds and loaded w/Aeros and stock passive circuitry, played through a GK MB500 and Avatar B210 NEO (tweeter set midway) has all the lively bounce and snappiness you refer to. In fact the tone control rolls this off nicely as needed.

I couldn't magine this bass ever describes as dark or muddy unless you take great steps to make it that way. Dark is certainly not it's default character IMHO. If that's teh sound some folks are getting there more to it than just the bass.