SOLD Lakland DPLE II (Darkstar'd Glaub w/ bound & blocked J-width neck)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Madcity Fats, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    For sale only: Lakland Skyline DPLE II -- only 30 made. This is a fantastic bass, but the bill collector is knocking.

Bass features a custom white finish over ash, maple neck with bound and blocked rosewood board, 1.5" at the nut, matching headstock, red tort guard and, last but not least, a massive Darkstar pup in the sweet spot. Plays and sounds every bit as good as it looks. Weight is right around 9 lbs.

Condition is excellent, but shows the sort of wear you'd expect of a bass that's been well appreciated. Plenty of light swirls to the pickguard, and a few minor swirls in the clearcoat. Chrome is in good shape -- a few minor scratches evident around the pickup ring. The most noticeable "flaw" is a minor scuff at the tip of the headstock which I've attempted to show below. It's barely noticeable unless you're right up close. Otherwise, positively no dents, dings, gouges or scratches through the finish on either the body or the neck.

Currently setup with D'Addario XL rounds (45-65-85-105). Action is low but can go lower. Truss rod functions perfectly.

I'm not the original owner and don't have the DPLE gig bag these came with, but the bass will ship in a tweed hard case (Charvel, I think) in decent shape. It's missing the middle latch (could be repaired) but is otherwise sturdy if not exactly pretty. It'll protect this baby in transit and beyond.

Asking $1100 shipped and insured (CONUS). PayPal okay, though cashier's check or money order would be preferred.

2ztbuqb.gif

2hhp093.jpg

xf182u.jpg

And this one attempts to showcase the minor scuff at the top of the headstock:
    30kds84.gif

Thanks for looking! PM with questions or to stake your claim. These don't come around very often.

2. Infidelity

Infidelity

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    J width, dark star, matching head stock, blocks and bindings.. What else could probably better than this?

3. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

In my hands. :bassist:

4. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
    w o w .

5. chris lykins

chris lykins Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    phoenix az
    I have one and its my favorite four. The neck is comparable to any top of the line bass Ive ever played. Put an East P retro preamp into and this thing is amazing!! Plays like butter

6. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Do want....

Lack that much coin!

7. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I was one of the 30 who was lucky enough to buy one of these basses new. It's a great bass, has a fantastic neck...and the DarkStar rocks. I sold mine a couple of years ago and wish I had it back. Who knows...I may have to go home and count the change in the change jar....

8. Madcity Fats

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Peabody, since you're in LaX, if you wanna take a daytrip down to Madtown I'll cut you a deal for saving me the shipping hassle. Just sayin' ...

Love your avatar, btw. Dang, I miss my City Lager.

9. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    MCF...

I'm strugglin' with this one. As much as I'd love to have one of these again, I'm having a hard time convincing myself I need another bass....and I have a Steinberger coming in on Friday. I'll definitely keep it in in mind.....

PS - as much as I love having the brewery here back in operation (and doing well), other than the Fest beer they use to produce, I never really took a liking to any of their other beers. I'm more of a Pearl Street Brewery (another local brewery)- "Downtown Brown" kind of guy.

10. I once saw GC had one of these used... for $600!

Haunts me to this day.

11. Madcity Fats

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Peabody -- Not trying to give you the hard sell. And yeah, with all the great micro brews we're blessed with in this state, I don't normally go for the canned stuff. Just nostalgia really, because the singer in my former band used to buy the City Lager 30-pack before every practice.

Peter -- $600?! Oy, if I'd seen that, I'd own two of these right now. Haunting, indeed.

12. MN_Bass

MN_Bass

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Great bass, Played one at the Phoenix Az GC, great tone and playability, good luck with your sale.

13. Worst part is, they had it on their site for a week listed as "White Lakland Bass" without a pic. I never thought to call and ask about it until they put a pic up, then I was too late.

14. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    They probably thought because it had the DarkStar, it was a retrofit. Sorry I missed that one....

I'm still thinkin' about it MCF....

15. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    Man iv wanted one of these forever! Problem being, the only things of value i could sell are the only 2 things i refuse to sell. (my nordy and PRS)

16. Madcity Fats

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Well, there's always ... YOUR SOUL!

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!

(evil laughter bump)

17. Madcity Fats

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Bump for price drop to a nice, round number.

Also thought I'd add a couple of (very specific) trade possibilities:

- EHX Bass Microsynth (9v XO version only, please) + $1100. Don't really need one of these, but I've always wanted one to mess around with, so what the heck.

- L2000 E-Series neck + $?. I realize this is a long shot, but a friend of mine in CA found a headless 2KE cheap, recognized it as such and remembered I'm a G&L fan. So it's headed this way. Would love to make it whole again (coincidentally I'm looking at a Tookay with a Wunkay neck this weekend in possible trade for another bass ... must be something in the air). My fretboard preference would be ebony > maple > rosewood. Cash portion would depend on condition of the neck, but I'm willing to put a premium value on the right piece. Fretless need not apply. Unlikely, I know, but since I'll be on the prowl for one anyway I thought I'd throw it out there.

18. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Trade for my active Lakland Decade? If interested send me a PM.

19. Madcity Fats

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks, but I've got a passive decade already. But good luck with your sale/trade.

20. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    weight?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.