Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland DRs

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by papalastre, Apr 28, 2004.

1. papalastre

papalastre

Dec 10, 2003
    Scotland
    I'm wanting to put the "lakland" DRs on my 55-02, but they don't come with a taperwound B. in a letter that came with my 55-02 it recommended using a taperwound B if you string through body. I am aware of the advatages of a taperwound B, i just want to know from my fellow laklanders if it makes much difference tonal if you don't use the taperwound through body?

2. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I'm sure some people will probably disagree with me, but I've had great success with the DR Bootzillas and High Beams on my Lakland. Neither of which have a tappered B string. I used Rotosound piano cores for a long time (has a tappered b string), but IMO it's nice having that extra mass crossing the saddle with the non-tappered B string on my Lakland.

3. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    I remember buying Lakland DR's before and the ones I had DID have a tapered B string that was long enough to fit through the body and across the bridge.
    For me though, I found that a regular wound B string sounds just as good AND sounds fatter and thicker to me. Like bassturtle said...I also think the extra mass across the bridge is the reason. I've even put a regular wound THROUGH the body and the string sounded fine and did not break. I just made sure to give it a good bend over the saddle. Just make sure the tuner end reaches across the nut though. Many of them don't. But through the bridge stringing still sounds awesome.