1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland Duck Dunn-true P tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emblymouse, Apr 21, 2009.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    A question for those of you who've played 'em both;

How well does the Duck do the classic Precision thump?

Along with the Duck I am considering a 70's Precision with the 'A' neck. For me it is all about getting the good P sound with my preferred neck profile. If it isn't different enough tonally from my old Jazz then I'm not inclined to do it. I don't want to build one or modify one. For now we'll leave price and future value out of the equasion too.

What say you P folk? Does the Duck walk the P walk?

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I can't speak for the lakland pick up.If it has a fralin,It will thump like Thor's hammer!

Aj

3. depalm

depalm Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Rio
    Oh yeah! Amazingly!

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Agreed.
    Mine had a Fralin in it and it made me smile every time i played it.
    Best P tone ive ever had.
    Wish i still did have it. If Fralin made a 5 string version i would snap it up.

5. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Got close enough for my tastes! If only I had the $$$ to pick one up. It's probably #2 or #3 on my GAS list.

Plus I saw/heard George Porter Jr. playing a Lakland BG p-bass (same pickup, diff. neck) last week. Sounded f'ing amazing.

6. Have you listened to the sound clips on the Lakland site? Might give you something of an idea, at least.

7. xsubs

xsubs Working Class Hero Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    NYC & Corcaigh, √Čire
    Endorsing Artist: Hiwatt Amplification & Rotosound Strings
    I have several US BG basses of different vintages, from the earliest to a Nov '08 model.
    Having AB'd the Fralin and the Lakland on many occasions, I prefer the Lakland. It has everything that the Fralin has, and just a tad more output. They are exactly alike tone wise, but the Lakland sounds more "alive"... tough to describe a sound, but that works for me.
    I compared directly with a 1963 P-bass as well, and the Lakland nails it perfectly to my ears.
    Over the past few months I've also tried the Lollar, Nordy and SD Antiquity I & II... I now have the Lakland in all my P-basses.

As always YMMV, but I'm VERY pleased with the Lakland. :bassist:

8. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Yes, I did check those out. There is a certain 'punch' factor that I don't think can come through on a clip like that and I guess that is what I'm hoping to get feedback on. Like, true P or P Lite? So far Duck's looking good.:bassist:

9. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Yeah the sound clips on the Lakland site are brilliant, in fact so is the whole site. Along with the clips I particularly like the jukebox , Chris Squire playing a Bob Glaub, but still sounding like Chris Squire and the most laid back version of Lido Shuffle ever by Boz Skaggs.

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have a Fralin in my Fender, and I've played a few Duck Dunns with the Lakland pickup. I didn't A/B them, but my sense is that xsubs is correct: the Lakland is similar tonally, but slightly hotter and more aggressive. So yes, it produces an excellent version of classic P-bass tone.

For pure thump, however, I've always thought Fender's pickups are probably the best. Problem is, you lose some clarity in the lows compared to the Fralin, which thumps plenty in its own right. I would take the Fralin or Lakland any day.

11. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    See a trend here?!?!? The Dunn is a GREAT P-Bass, do NOT worry about it sounding like your jazz. The neck is the only thing similar... the sound is all P-Bass.

12. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I agree - the Fralin's are reallly thumpy and great sounding! The Lakland pickups are brighter.

13. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    It wouldn't be a Dunn signature if it didn't thump like a P

14. Jason!

Jason!

Nov 14, 2008
    GR, MI
    I've got a DD w/Fralin's and flats...All P-Bass baby!

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Is that Green Onions I smell?

Young Duck on a Precision Shindiggin':

16. Regarding the pickups I sent an e-mail to Lakland and they (Kirk) got right back to me. That company has unbelievably good service. In any case, his answer is below with regards to how to tell if the pickups are Fralin or Lakland design.

Bill

Bill,

It's possible coming from 2007. Check out the lead wires on the
    pickups. If they are black and white cloth covered wires, then they are
    Lindy Fralins. If they are red and black vinyl covered wires then they
    are the newer Lakland/Hanson pickups.

Let me know if you need anything else,

Kirk Hunter
    Lakland Musical Instruments
    2044 N. Dominick Street
    Chicago, Illinois 60614
    773-871-9694
    773-871-6675 Fax
    www.lakland.com

17. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    I had one for a bit (from buffordbass) and it did a good job of getting a P tone but to my ear the upper end was different to be sure. I'm not sure what p/u was in it, maybe buffordbass knows, but it was hotter for sure but didn't seem as dirty in the mids as a Fender and seemed for lack of better description glassier in the highs. For most applications it does a damn good job but there are some things, for example a pop ala Pops Popwell or the Low down groove, that it didn't nail. I currently have a P w/a jazz neck that is much closer but I'm wondering if the mass of the wider neck does make a difference. It's nice to get the P sound and not have to work as hard as the wider neck ,
    so on a long gig I sometimes take the J neck bass but for recording when looking for the P thing, I always use a normal neck P.

18. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    cool!

As I was watching the videos, however, I was thinking he would not have to move his hand so much if he had a 5er! (LOL!).

BTW - I hear he DOES have a 5er Lakland on the way and it is at the shop now...hopefully I can see it/play it before it ships!!!

19. I have tried both pickups side by side and I disagree that they are similar. While the new Laklands have a vintage feel to the tone they are much more aggressive. I would not call them modern but they are more ballsy that is for sure. They cut through the mix wonderfully. I love Fralins BUT after having them side by side I preferred the new Laklands for what I do. If you want a classic 62 pickup though I am not sure I would recommend this.

Also....I know why everyone compares Glaubs and DD's to P basses....I mean that is essentially what they are. But just like a 44-02 is not a Stingray a Glaub is not exactly a Fender. Try one out and see what you think. Not everyone that loves Fender P's love Laklands because they definitely have their own vibe. It is not a standard clone.

20. I thought the Fralin version was intended to be a refined Fender variant. Wrong?