Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LAKLAND - EDEN COMBO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by the captain, Oct 14, 2002.

1. the captain

the captain

Aug 31, 2002
    Tulsa,OK.
    getting back into the bizz after a very, very long absence (20yrs) after allot of research ordered a lakland 55-94 D tealburst/maple w barts from bass central. my 1st 5 string. beaver and gard were great and went out of there way to be helpful. should be here in about a month or so. all I have for an amp right now is a peavey basic 12 which I use for practice. I've heard some TB'rs say that Eden amps are a great compliment to the lakland bass. any truth to this? the only amps i've ever onwed are ampegs & peavey. i've never heard or seen an Eden except at thier web site. there are allot of great amps out there now that were'nt avalable 20 some yrs. ago. let me know your opinions.

2. I have only Laklands, although I don't have my 55-94 any longer. I just didn't feel the need for a 5-string :eek: But that's just me. I have a 4-94 which I absoultley love (my personal fav) and a Joe Osborne and the Bob Glaub is on the way. All have drop D detuners on them if I need to go low. Anyway, I did not like the sound of my Laklands throught the WT-500 I had for 4 plus years. (again that's me). The only Eden equipment I kept was my 210xlt because it's a great little cab as a stand alone for smaller things. The 410xlt was nice, but I didn't like the "uncontrollable bottom" of that cab. Some guys love them.

You asked.

3. Hey, Cap -

I did the same thing (19 year absence for me). Here's what I ended up with:

[​IMG]

Eden cabs, amplification by Ampeg and QSC.

4. It's me again,
    I don't know how much you want to spend, but since your getting gear I recommend a good amp like QSC or Crest etc (there are many) and a pre amp of your choice. (unless you want to go all tube equipment, that another story too) That way you can change if you want without going through all the complete change out of gear. Also, if you decide to go with one of the newer cabs on the market like Bergantino (I just got one!) they need alot of power to open them up. Like Al's pic, many people like the Eden cabs, but the selection of amps and such is enormus these days. It's all what you like and are willing to spend. Good luck.
    Oh, and BTW, what equipment sounds like in a music store or in your room, is completely different what is will sound like with your band/mix. It can be very frustrating. Do research and trust your ears and experience. If it's to good to be true it is..

5. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I'm going to digress a second, then pull it back. :)

After playing in the same totally crappy room twice now (30 ft. un-tiled ceiling, concrete floor, stage in the corner also with concrete floor, huge building), I decided to see if there was anything I could do with my current setup. I'd always discounted any kind of stand, but this room was so bad I even thought about a platform on 2x4's. Well American Music has the Auralex Gramma for $50 and a 45 day return policy so...

I first tried my 55-94 with my Eden WT-400/2-Aguilar GS112's just being on the floor (in my living room). Good sound, but a unclear in the bottom. Then I put it on the Gramma. More clarity, tighter, with definition and focus. I had the enhance off and ended up with it at 9:00. (I have 220 Hz boosted 1-click and 5.4 Hz boosted 2-clicks.) It was good on low notes before, now it's unreal. The 55-94 though the Eden/Aguilar now sounds phenomenal IMHO. It is getting the sound I've always heard in my head as *my* bass sound.

With the Eden/Aguilar you have lots off bottom & low mid bump. A flatter sounding rig might benifit from being on the floor. Also, the Aggie cabs go down to 42 Hz and I'm not sure about the "useable" low.

Keep in mind I play modern blues and don't have to cut through a wall of blairing-distorted guiars. I go for a smooth, warm, thick tone; but with sparkle and clarity. Kinda like, old school with a modern twist.

6. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I hadn't played a fretted bass in almost twenty years and I too setteled on a Lakland 55-94. I soon realized that to faithfuly amplify this instruments fundamental tone I would require a subwoofer system. No, you don't need a sub to hear the low B it sounds good going through my Fender Bassman 25. It simply doesn't sound great.

I am using an Eden WP100 preamp because of the three balanced outputs. I have since grown fond of its tone and flexability but its build quality and noise have me saving up for somthing else. I auditioned some Eden cabinets but I didn't like the sound of their higher frequencies. Check out my profile for more details.

7. the captain

the captain

Aug 31, 2002
    Tulsa,OK.
    allan, i've never heard of QSC where do i find info?

Eden cabs, amplification by Ampeg and QSC. [/B][/QUOTE]:confused:

8. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Clicky!

QSC

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I recently played a couple of Laklands, 55-01 and 55-02, through an Eden 4x10 XLT on Friday at BC. They all sounded great together. I can only imagine the 55-94 would sound even better than the 55-01 and 55-02's through an Eden set up. You wont regret it.

10. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I have a Lakland S55-94 and I had been using an Eden WT400 with an Eden D-210XLT and Eden D-115. It absolutely will kick your butt. I did although get tired of lugging 2 cabinets around so I got an Eden D-410XST. These cabs have alot flatter response than the XLT cabs and are rated at a 1000 watts to boot! It sounds even better than the other two Eden cabs by itself. Just ask Gard! If you don't like the low mid hump of the XLT cabs try the XSTs. I just purchased a WT800 used which will give me 800 watts into the XST. Woo Hoo, can you say headroom to spare.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lakland + Eden = My Sound.

They were made for each other IF you're into a modern, hi-fi sound. It just rules. RULES!

[​IMG]

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    holy mother...

Munji, you might make me an Eden man after all...

13. the captain

the captain

Aug 31, 2002
    Tulsa,OK.
    What if you're into more of a blues, 70's rock, eagles' jackson browne kind of vibe? will eded still rule? great looking equpt. Munjibunga

:) :D

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Shoot-fire, wait 'til my WT-550 comes in. Hopefully by the end of this month. Then I will truly rule the western hemisphere (of my brain).

15. the captain

the captain

Aug 31, 2002
    Tulsa,OK.
    Munji, looking at your bass makes me wonder if I should have ordered amber instead of tealburst. But back to my question will the eden still work for my type of music?

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the eden's versatile enough for whatever musical stylie you're into. IMHO, it doesnt have enough upper end slice for slap, but for the styles you're talkin' about, it'd do it in spades.

17. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I've never liked the sound of both Eden and SWR amps. I have the exact Tealburst Lakland you're ordering....you won't be sorry!!!

I also used to own a 210 XLT cab and have kinda changed my thought/hearing process to liking more flat response cabs. I would agree that that new eden speaker cabs with a little less bottom might do you better than and XLT. I used to own SWR goliath jr's and found them to be a little easier to manage tone and weight wise.

I'm just one who feels Eden and SWR heads don't give me the tone I feel comfortable with and that the XLT's be it in a 2 or 4 ten situation are suited for reggae and totally bottom heavy genre's but get into a boomy room and good luck trying to tame those beasts.

JMO

LKaye

18. the captain asked...

allan, i've never heard of QSC where do i find info?

seamus gave you the link to QSC's website - thanks, seamus :)

I use their RMX2450 driven by an Ampeg SVP-PRO preamp.

Since both my cabinets are 8 ohm and I insist on running them on separate amp channels so I can adjust balance between the cabinets I need a fairly hefty power amp and the QSC sure delivers.

It is a heavy bugger, though. It puts out 500w per channel into 8 ohms and weighs about 45lb.

19. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Glad to help with the link. :) They have this weird thing going on now where it takes like 2 extra steps to get the old front page up though. Looks like they discovered Flash. :D

I'm using QSC for power as well, SVP-PRO into the 1850HD. Using 210-XLT's and an extension cab.

20. LizzardTom

LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    YUP! Good combo----;)