1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland flats (how do they compare?)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by taylor16, Mar 7, 2013.

1. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    I had the guys at Lakland string a set of their flats on the 55-02 that I picked up from the factory and really have come to like the tone and smooth feel. These are the first flats I've used and find them very stiff - I had the medium gauge put on.

I've read a lot about different flats recently but am not sure where the Laklands fit. How would the TI flats, DR Sunbeams, d'Addario chrome flats compare in tone and playability?

I'm going to likely want a thinner gauge next time around.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Flats in general will have a stiffer feel since the widings are wide and flat. That's not true in all cases, though..just generally.

But DR Sunbeams are not flats, they are nickel rounds.

TI flats are said to be some of the less stiff flats, but I've never used them.

I recently installed a set of Chromes on one of my basses (I love rounds but wanted to have a bass with flats..just because!) and I was very surprised by the feel. They are not stiff feeling at all, especially compared to the GHS Pressurewounds I had on it before. Those are STIFF!

I've read that Lakland flats are basically GHS Precision Flats, but I don't know for sure.