1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland/Fralin pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ErnieD, Mar 29, 2009.

1. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I have a Skyline Joe Osborne 5er coming from a TBer this week, 3 tone burst w/rosewood board, all stock. He says its a year old with the Lakland pups. I played a JoBo 5 last year at a local store, sounded/felt awesome. Lame sales-dude did not know what pups were in the bass, I could not tell, didn't really spend a bunch of time with it. But the time I did spend with it the bass sounded great, felt great just really nice. I have 55-02D, so I know I love the Lakland necks already. I picked this Skyline over a 2008 St Jazz 5 local; mainly cause the different neck profiles, to me.

I did a search and did not find any threads comparing Fralin/Lakland pups on this bass. I'd like to know if anyone has tried both and which they preferred and why. I'll know when the bass arrives what the Lakland pups will do but may never know how the Fralins perform. Thanks for any replies on this.

2. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    IMHO IMHE: I prefer Lakland pickups over Fralins. Fralins sound hairy to me. They have great bottom end but the punch factor is relatively low. Lakland pickups are very good overall, yet I still prefer Aeros. OTOH, if you like early Led Zeppelin sound, Fralins might just be the ticket.

3. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Are you sure that's the word?

4. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    "hairy"?? Well I plan to use this Jobo 5er in a TX-blues/old blues/classic rock band. Been using the 55-02 and a 2007 MIM Fender Jazz 5er. Hoping the Joe 5 will offer better quality tone than the MIM and more jazz-tone than the 02. The one I played in the store last year really played awesome but I was there buying a NV cab. That one had a rosewood board and solid colored body, like a dark, chocolate brown in color. When I went back a couple monts later, it was sold.

I really hope what I heard in that bass was the Lakland pups, cause again it sounded great and that's what Im getting. We'll see when mine arrives this week, think I'll know pretty quick. Would a Sadowsky/Aguilar outboard pre serve any purpose? Or even needed?

I've read good things on the stock, Jobo 5 w/Lakland pups but mostly on HC site. I always take those reviews with a grain (hunk) of salt though.

5. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Both are good and very similar. Can't really go wrong with either.

6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    The Fralins that used to be installed as OEM in Lakland J basses seemed to be a tad harsh to my ears- a little too exaggerated around 4k or so. As a caveat, I only hear this when playing aggressive fingerstyle or slap.

I very much prefer a "honest" or "natural" sound, and the current Lakland models seem to offer that sort of tone more than the Fralins did. All told, I'd be happy with either in a passive bass.

7. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I imagine they'll be fine whatever pups are there. Guess I need to find and re-read the thread where I bought it here, dont recall if it mentioned what pups, almost sure its Lakey pups. I will PM seller again to ask, but its late right now.

So in the meantime, anyone know when they started using Lakland pups over the Fralins? This bass should be 2007 or 08 model. Thanks all.

8. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I'm quite sure it was 2007...

9. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Hairy, loose, not exactly focused bottom end. Again that's my perception.

10. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I think you mean "airy", because a bass can't really sound like this:

[​IMG]

11. ac11367

ac11367

Apr 26, 2007
    Flushing, NY
    I thought my DJ4 was equipped with Aero pickups. But after I swapped it out for Nordstrand NJ4's then I realized that those were Lakland pickups (wires were red, green and black, per email from Lakland, indicates Lakland Jazz PUP). I felt that the Lakland Jazz pickups were not very articulate nor aggressive. I like the Nords better. The Nords have slightly higher output, but noticeably better note clarity and attack.

I have no experience on Fralins though.

12. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    They are the Lakland pup's, at the time i bought it they stopped using the Fralins.

13. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    HAH, Orale compa, you caught me searchin' about this would- be-mine-bass.

I dont recall if you stated or if I asked if your Jobo 5er, I just bought from you, Gracias again, had Fralins or Lakland puppers. I don't really think it would matter a whole lot to me, really. Cause I just know Lakland/Skylines can be awesome. This'll be my 3rd one. They're cool like that.

But I read here on TB, Lakland stopped using Fralins like in '07 on the Osborn basses. I think 'yours'/'mine-now', i:) s a '08 model. Cool, I've been wondering what those Lakland pups are about. My 55-02D has the barts electronics, so cool something different is always a plus, looking forward to it on Thursday, if UPS is on, when it arrives.

I know I liked the feel of the neck and other stuff when I tried one at my local store last year. I'm almost sure it had the Lakland pups as opposed to Fralins. The lamesales-dude could not say and could not care to know from what I got from him. He was "just in it for the en-dolphins" or whatever.

I just know that Jobo 5er I played in that store that day, KILLED, FRIGGIN KILLED. So much so that I got over the pretty white/white DJ5 I played there the same day. And I had major gas for the DJ5 for so long, well playing the JoBo5 got me past that feeling damn quick.

The DJ5 gots real purty teethus, but the JoBo 5 I played back then, put out stuff, like a hi-school chearleader...and it was good. MMMMM... :ninja:

14. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    I think you are really going to like it. :)