Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Fretless ?? Jazz or 4-94 ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big String, Jan 27, 2003.

1. I'm in the market for a Lakland Fretless.
    I was trolling for opinions between a 4 string Joe Osborn Jazz or a 4-94 fretless. I own both in fretted, but don't have any experiance with fretless. I'm well aware it has to be my taste only, but hope some folks can offer their experiance and pro's and con's. Please mention if your jazzes are active or passive.
    Thanks in advance.

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    it is up to you.. you play both, you see which one you like more after A/Bing them and then you make your final decision. Whichever way, you won't regret your choice for sure :) Both fantastic basses

Good luck!

DM

3. Yes I will ultimaltly make the choice, I was just looking for some feedback comparison wise from current owners. I can't a/b the fretless basses because mine are fretted.... It's got to be different.
    Thanks for you response though.

4. DBasica

DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    I've owned several fretless basses over the years. Most recently I sold a Lakland Skyline 55-02 fretless to buy a Skyline JO-5 fretless. I still own a 55-02 fretted.

I prefer the sound of single coils on a fretless. Not that the 55-02 fretless sounded bad. Just a bit "smoother" with the Bart pickups and preamp than the JO-5 with the Lindy Fralin single coils. If you really want the growl, I'd recommend the single coils. It is a very minor difference though, and good sounds can be had with either.

Depends a lot on the player too. Mark Egan doesn't sound half bad playing the Pedulla with the Bart pickups and preamps.
    Dan

5. The 4-94 with the MM & J makes a great fretless.

Aloha,

Jonathan

6. Thanks for the reply. Is you JO5 active or passive?

7. DBasica

DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    Passive. But I've got a Sadowsky preamp pedal if I need it. So far I've not, but the Sadowsky pedal it has great DI for live or recording.

Dan

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The 55-02 has a coil tap so you can go from front to rear and full humbucker too.

A lot of this will depend on what kind of fretless sound you want. Believe it or not you can get a ballpark idea of how each will sound with the fretted versions you already have. If you're going for a Jaco-ish typ of sound, solo the bridge pickups on either bass. On the 55-02 you can switch to single coil mode and see how you like that. Another nice thing about the 55-02 is the that you have a Mid cut and boost, with four selectable center frequencies... very handy when it comes to coaxing mwah from a bass.

9. Another Lakland, Dean?

Haven't you had enough of those Lakland guys?

Just Kidding.

Wassup dude? I'd go with the passive, if it were my choice, believe a you me, I've heard them both.;)

10. Thanks Brad. I'm pretty familiar with the operation of the Lakland actives, they are great. As you stated you can do alot of tweaking. That is my basic questioning on this post, that is, anybody's opinion on their Lakland Fretless bass. Thank you for the input.

Hi Ya Herm, I thought you left the planet...
    Good to hear from you, you OL' Lakland Dude.
    Yes, another and another and another. Dan and Carl probably are taking bets on what I'll do next. Those guys always take good care of me, they're great! So, you say passive... hmmm. I love my JoJazz but the 4-94 neck is the "perfect" size neck for me. I do like the 20 fret Jazz very much and it's real comfortable for the little fellers. Decisions, decisions...

Keep em' coming TBr's everyone's oppinion count!;)

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I guess I should've mentioned that I have played a few 55-94 fretlesses but no JO's as of yet.

No cons IMO with the 55-94 and I can't imagine any with the JO.

12. Me too. I guess I should mention that in owning both the Lakand basses mentioned in the post, I really love the versatility of the active systems, but, have become quite the lover of the very pure passive Lindy Fralin singles. There is pro/cons with all things. The only way to completely fill the needs is to have both... I'm not going there. I truly won't be playing the fretless that much, at least until I learn how to crawl with it. I'm doing more acoustic fill in gigs, and thought it would be a nice addition to my small collection. I can't have too many instruments, it drives me crazy.

13. For anyone who cares...
    I went with 4-94 Deluxe Amber Quilt, lines only ebony board. Shaaaweeet. Let you know in about 3 months...

14. DBasica

DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    Congrats! You can't go wrong either way.

Dan