1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Fretless Upgrade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjoe23, Mar 18, 2008.

1. jokerjoe23

jokerjoe23

Apr 18, 2006
    Gamehenge
    Sooooo, after doing my research here's my plan: Get a lakland skyline 55-01 fretless, and replace the pickups and pre. I was thinking bartolini MK5CBC as pickup replacements and either a bart or aguilar pre. What do u guys think? Oh by the way, do u think i'd be fine just replacing the bridge pickup (i'm mostly a bridge player) or should i replace both?
    Thanks

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    You haven't bought it yet and you're already replacing the pickups? Slow down a little, dude! You may actually like the stock pickups.

3. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

I think you should own the bass first and see what kind of sounds it's capable of. After a few years with my lakland (which I wanted to replace the pups and pre) I discovered I could get any sound I wanted out of it.

Not enough people really spend the time getting to know their basses sound. Thats a big pet peeve of mine.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    If you're planning on gutting the bass, my suggestion (based on experience doing that for a living- that is, taking folks' money to modify instruments) is to buy what youi want in the first place. The PUPs/Electronics on the 55-01 are great as is. If you really like the way a 55-01 sounds and feels, then buy one and play it for a good long time before you mod it.

That's because the electronics only modify what the body is already doing to the woods. Without knowledge of how YOUR particular bass sounds, it's kinda hard to determine what PUPs and a different pre-amp will ultimately do for the sound of the bass. You gotta KNOW what that bass sounds like in your hands before you start planning changes.

jte

5. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm definitely in the "play it for a while before making changes" camp. I played my 55-01 for about six months before replacing the pickups with the MK5CBCs and the preamp with the NTMB. The improvement in sound and the usefulness of the preamp brought improvements that far exceeded my expectations.

To answer your other question, replace both pickups while you're in there.