1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Glaub/Dunn vs. '62 Precision reissue?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DingoBlues, Jan 1, 2007.

1. DingoBlues

DingoBlues

Dec 17, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Hit the stores yesterday looking for a Jazz and just for laughs tried an American Vintage '62 Precision resissue.

:eek:

I may get a Jazz someday, but the '62 RI confirmed for me that I'm a really a P-Bass guy at heart. Light, beautifully constructed and a tone MONSTER. If it wasn't $1400 I would have bought it on the spot.

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare the '62 RI with either a Skyline Glaub or the Duck Dunn? Tried the DJ4 and a 55-02 and was really impressed by the build quality of the Skylines. If I go Lakland I'll probably have to order it without trying it first.

2. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I had both a 62 reissue and a Glaub and I have to say the Fender was a much better bass. Playability was better. The tone was better. Fretjob was better. The paint on the Glaub was very thick and the satin finish on the neck looked cheap. I know everyone here raves about the skylines, but I really don't see them as being better than any corts I've tried. The reissue was one of the best P's I've ever played and I wish I still had mine.

Mike

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have never seen a Glaub that fit the description that you described.

but there's always a first time.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I prefer the tone of the Lakland due to the outstanding Lindy Fralin pickup, which I have in my 2004 Am. Ser. Fender. But I think Fender's American Vintage instruments are a step up from the Lakland Skylines for construction, especially the necks. They're probably lighter too. So if you loved the tone and feel of the '62 RI, I'd say go for it and don't look back.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    If there isn't a massive price difference between the two, I'd buy the Fender.

That being said, I really like Lakland basses. A 55-94 is on my GAS list. If they ever put out a Skyline Glaub 5-string, I'm in. :)

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

A US version of the Glaub 5 by June of 07 and a Skyline version 08 best guess.

7. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I heard the only thing holding up the Glaub 5 is the pickup. They decided to use a Lakland pickup now that they are making pickups.

8. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    One difference between the two is the fingerboard radius: the Fender 62RI is 7.25", while the Lakland is 10". Makes a difference to some folks.

9. Bassberry

Bassberry

Dec 27, 2006
    In the end there's more to a purchase than words or a brand or hype. Shouldn't a '62 Precision also sound like one? If we toss out the year a bass was built, for what other reasons are we interested? The price and quality control are factors, but if all we have is quality and no great old school Tone, where are we then? Are we settling for average Tone when we really want great Tone? This is a constant problem when discussing this style bass, my favorite, because they aren't all created equal, and the price paid isn't a guarantee, nor is an endorsement either. Which bass to buy??? I think we buy to get where we want to go musically? We want our investment to include collectability? I don't know anymore, based on these issues and choices, it's easy to get distratced and make a bad purchase for the wrong reasons? Tone is a good reason, that rare unmistakable Tone is why the vinatge market exists? Which maker will offer a letter of authenticity? I doubt we can buy any meaningful Tone guarantee for $1400. That's why there's a vinatge market and the real items are worth $6000. Good Luck with this...it's frustrating. Search with a tireless conviction?

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Good point.
    I've owned both the skyline Glaub.
    And the 62 and 57 reissue.

The Glaub was just as well made as the fenders.
    The 10' radius was eazy to get use to.
    I prefer the 7.25 radius for a P-bass. That's just me.
    The Fralin pickup to me, was better than the stock fender pickup.

Both are very good basses.
    I dig the maple fingerboard 57.
    But for $300.00 dollars less.
    I would go with a Glaub.

11. Bassberry

Bassberry

Dec 27, 2006
    From what I've held and witnessed insofar as this vintage style or theme bass, and comments regarding preferences is that this field of choices is a club, a very loyal group who appreciates the sound. That said, the fingerboard radius is part of the sound because it determines the fingerboard thickness. Maybe what some P-style bass fans are saying when they refer to the 7.25" fingerboard radius is that they like the very thin curved laminated fingerboard (like the oldies) and maybe it's because less rosewood equals better overall tone? Myself, I don't assume these things, all too often the assumed radius is something else. But, I get the point when we are discussing tone preferences. But, this point can be confused to mean the thick slab style fingerboard to accomplish the 7.25" radius. I don't think that's the preferred meaning? I think anyone who talks this style bass up, is really into ther sound big time. It's a great sound.

12. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I thought the slab rosewood fingerboard was on the earliest models, and the 'curved laminated' one was introduced a few years later.

13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

The Lakland Glaubs I've tried have had the best P-bass tone I've ever gotten out of any bass. Construction was top-notch as well. Really comfortable neck, IMO.

The MIA Fenders I've played outside of a GC have been really good too. Nothing wrong with construction, and good tone as well.

Either one will work just fine. You can always swap out the pickup on the Fender for a Fralin if you want at a later time, too.

I loved the tone on the Glaub so much, though, that I nearly bought it. Lucky for me it had only four strings. :)

14. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    My 1996 Fender USA '62RI is as nice of a C-necked alder body P-bass as you could ever ask for. I'm not a huge fan of the Fralin P that Lakland uses, I find it a bit thin sounding.

I've had a skyline DJ and briefly had a USA Glaub, so I do have a good point of reference on this. As always with a fender-style bass, its best to try before you buy, but I vote Fender RI. In particular, if that specific RI spoke to you, then go back and get it. :hyper:

15. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I really liked the Duck Dunn I played recently, but it has more of a J neck, so I guess it isn't for purists. Haven't played a 62 p reissue, but on the Skylines I have played, I thought the fit and finish was equal to the best non custom shop fenders I have seen, and superior to the more typical models I have seen.

16. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    I haven't played the fender RI's but i've
    owned and played the real thing (PRE CBS)
    i find that Lakland has captured the feel,tone
    and quality craftmanship of the early fenders,
    i favor my Skyline DD to anything out there
    considering price and value,but if you can try before
    you buy...

EB/

17. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I've tried some of the Fender RIs, and they're really nice, but I think I'd still go with the Lakland. Can't beat their reputation, and I'd really like to give those Fralins a try.

18. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    +1 No two are the same. I've owned about 20 basses over the years, many of them fenders, and they were all unique individuals. I know the odds of getting a good one are better with some makes but when it comes down to buying MY BASS the idea of buying by brand just doesn't make sense to me. Even with high end instruments there are good ones and bad ones of every make.

19. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I agree with that- if that one particular RI really did it for you, then the Lakland (or even the same model Fender if you ordered it online) wouldn't be the same. I just assumed from the original post that the Fender was a little outside of your budget. But then, the Skyline DD isn't so far from $1400, so maybe I goofed.